Non filing of accounts with companies house
Our business has been going down hill for the last while. We have not filed VAT for about 18 months to 2 years and have not filed last years accounts because we havent been keeping things up to date. We cannot afford an account to do accounts and bring things up to date. We have really been waiting for HMRC to take us to court and bankrupt us. We have stopped trading in this name in the last month and have been trying to bring the business bank account to zero and close it - we have an overdraft on the account of £3000 (guaranteed to us) which we were hoping to pay off bit by bit before closing so we weren't forced to trying to pay it all at once.
Now due to non filing of accounts Companies house are saying that we may be referred to the public prosecution service if we do not contact them - they refer to an earlier letter which we do not remember receiving. We will contact them but what do we say?
If we say we are insolvent will they then ask HMRC to bankrupt us? and/or will they still try to prosecute us?
Will the prosecution be against my husband as an individual? I know there is a potential fine - but what else is the impact of this in terms of having a record etc?
Can we avoid prosecution at this or any later stage by trying to scrape together money to file something and how accurate would these records need to be - in the past records we have filed have always been under the "small company exemption" (think that is what it is called)
We did ask for some advice before from an insolvency practitioner but they had said they thought we would be taken for bankruptcy by HMRC really quickly (this was about Feb last year)
Also in trouble for not filing my husbands tax return for similar reason - no accounts?
Can anyone advise? If HMRC make us bankrupt can we still go to court for non filing of accounts or can we ask for time to file to avoid this - even after company is bankrupt?
It is a limited company - my husband is now the only director as for various reasons I removed myself 3 months ago.
We are based in Northern Ireland
As well as owing about 30k in VAT we owe one company 1k and have about 1k owing in corporation tax from the last year we filed accounts.
Also need to check filing dates as it may now be two years accounts we owe?
My husband is now working as an employee for someone else. (since Feb)
- Excel file Corrupted 231 4
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 60 1
- P46 Starter Checklist 43 1
- NED remuneration for a Swiss national 97 3
- PAYE Desktop viewer and/or Moneysoft 33 1
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 429 8
- effective advertising 358 7
- Multiple director loans (Full amount or pro rated) 81 1
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,465 5
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 316 7
- Company asserts 185 3
- Can't find a good web address 266 4
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 118 1
- Example accounts 165 1
- Director resignation 363 6
- VAT on unused stock 131 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 173 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 200 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 216 5
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 204 8
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 487
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 470
- WIP Software 341
- No payroll scheme in place 297
- Is there anything wrong with this? 262
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 257
- Small Part Disposal of Property 235
- Uncommercial property business 233
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 195
- SA Penalty 192