Non filing of accounts with companies house
Our business has been going down hill for the last while. We have not filed VAT for about 18 months to 2 years and have not filed last years accounts because we havent been keeping things up to date. We cannot afford an account to do accounts and bring things up to date. We have really been waiting for HMRC to take us to court and bankrupt us. We have stopped trading in this name in the last month and have been trying to bring the business bank account to zero and close it - we have an overdraft on the account of £3000 (guaranteed to us) which we were hoping to pay off bit by bit before closing so we weren't forced to trying to pay it all at once.
Now due to non filing of accounts Companies house are saying that we may be referred to the public prosecution service if we do not contact them - they refer to an earlier letter which we do not remember receiving. We will contact them but what do we say?
If we say we are insolvent will they then ask HMRC to bankrupt us? and/or will they still try to prosecute us?
Will the prosecution be against my husband as an individual? I know there is a potential fine - but what else is the impact of this in terms of having a record etc?
Can we avoid prosecution at this or any later stage by trying to scrape together money to file something and how accurate would these records need to be - in the past records we have filed have always been under the "small company exemption" (think that is what it is called)
We did ask for some advice before from an insolvency practitioner but they had said they thought we would be taken for bankruptcy by HMRC really quickly (this was about Feb last year)
Also in trouble for not filing my husbands tax return for similar reason - no accounts?
Can anyone advise? If HMRC make us bankrupt can we still go to court for non filing of accounts or can we ask for time to file to avoid this - even after company is bankrupt?
It is a limited company - my husband is now the only director as for various reasons I removed myself 3 months ago.
We are based in Northern Ireland
As well as owing about 30k in VAT we owe one company 1k and have about 1k owing in corporation tax from the last year we filed accounts.
Also need to check filing dates as it may now be two years accounts we owe?
My husband is now working as an employee for someone else. (since Feb)
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 207 4
- Fastest Software 645 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 89 1
- Where did it go? 224 2
- cancellation of Engagement 107 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 84 1
- Feuding directors 237 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 94 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 480 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,891 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 606 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 227 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 87 1
- Benefit fraud 3,417 49
- SA Tax Returns 151 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 134 2
- Consolidated accounts 118 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,022 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,399 22
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 244
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 198
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 165
- Trust for Employee 151
- Expat pension contributions? 147
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 133
- Capital allowances 121