Non filing of accounts with companies house
Our business has been going down hill for the last while. We have not filed VAT for about 18 months to 2 years and have not filed last years accounts because we havent been keeping things up to date. We cannot afford an account to do accounts and bring things up to date. We have really been waiting for HMRC to take us to court and bankrupt us. We have stopped trading in this name in the last month and have been trying to bring the business bank account to zero and close it - we have an overdraft on the account of £3000 (guaranteed to us) which we were hoping to pay off bit by bit before closing so we weren't forced to trying to pay it all at once.
Now due to non filing of accounts Companies house are saying that we may be referred to the public prosecution service if we do not contact them - they refer to an earlier letter which we do not remember receiving. We will contact them but what do we say?
If we say we are insolvent will they then ask HMRC to bankrupt us? and/or will they still try to prosecute us?
Will the prosecution be against my husband as an individual? I know there is a potential fine - but what else is the impact of this in terms of having a record etc?
Can we avoid prosecution at this or any later stage by trying to scrape together money to file something and how accurate would these records need to be - in the past records we have filed have always been under the "small company exemption" (think that is what it is called)
We did ask for some advice before from an insolvency practitioner but they had said they thought we would be taken for bankruptcy by HMRC really quickly (this was about Feb last year)
Also in trouble for not filing my husbands tax return for similar reason - no accounts?
Can anyone advise? If HMRC make us bankrupt can we still go to court for non filing of accounts or can we ask for time to file to avoid this - even after company is bankrupt?
It is a limited company - my husband is now the only director as for various reasons I removed myself 3 months ago.
We are based in Northern Ireland
As well as owing about 30k in VAT we owe one company 1k and have about 1k owing in corporation tax from the last year we filed accounts.
Also need to check filing dates as it may now be two years accounts we owe?
My husband is now working as an employee for someone else. (since Feb)
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 51 1
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,702 61
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 286 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 834 20
- The importance of Grammar 908 24
- New starter - tax code 189 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 125 2
- PI cover 108 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 129 2
- HMRC site down ? 171 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 142 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 206 3
- Xero Pain Points 258 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 96 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 122 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 168 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 392 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 154 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 597 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 235 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 301
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 281
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 273
- Electric Car 225
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 198
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 176