Non filing of accounts with companies house
Our business has been going down hill for the last while. We have not filed VAT for about 18 months to 2 years and have not filed last years accounts because we havent been keeping things up to date. We cannot afford an account to do accounts and bring things up to date. We have really been waiting for HMRC to take us to court and bankrupt us. We have stopped trading in this name in the last month and have been trying to bring the business bank account to zero and close it - we have an overdraft on the account of £3000 (guaranteed to us) which we were hoping to pay off bit by bit before closing so we weren't forced to trying to pay it all at once.
Now due to non filing of accounts Companies house are saying that we may be referred to the public prosecution service if we do not contact them - they refer to an earlier letter which we do not remember receiving. We will contact them but what do we say?
If we say we are insolvent will they then ask HMRC to bankrupt us? and/or will they still try to prosecute us?
Will the prosecution be against my husband as an individual? I know there is a potential fine - but what else is the impact of this in terms of having a record etc?
Can we avoid prosecution at this or any later stage by trying to scrape together money to file something and how accurate would these records need to be - in the past records we have filed have always been under the "small company exemption" (think that is what it is called)
We did ask for some advice before from an insolvency practitioner but they had said they thought we would be taken for bankruptcy by HMRC really quickly (this was about Feb last year)
Also in trouble for not filing my husbands tax return for similar reason - no accounts?
Can anyone advise? If HMRC make us bankrupt can we still go to court for non filing of accounts or can we ask for time to file to avoid this - even after company is bankrupt?
It is a limited company - my husband is now the only director as for various reasons I removed myself 3 months ago.
We are based in Northern Ireland
As well as owing about 30k in VAT we owe one company 1k and have about 1k owing in corporation tax from the last year we filed accounts.
Also need to check filing dates as it may now be two years accounts we owe?
My husband is now working as an employee for someone else. (since Feb)
- Cash injection by shareholder 15 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 255 7
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 274 4
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 149 3
- PRR 183 11
- corp tax software 334 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,071 54
- Pension Contributions Relief 435 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 456 7
- Which tax box 177 2
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 125 1
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 93 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 213 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 201 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,441 423
- References for clients 185 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 136 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 94 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 313 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 127 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,294
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 460
- National Insurance 358
- Non Resident 275
- Franchise income and costs 251
- Hands on experience of Digita 208
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 163
- Employer's Helpline 157
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 134