Non filing of accounts with companies house
Our business has been going down hill for the last while. We have not filed VAT for about 18 months to 2 years and have not filed last years accounts because we havent been keeping things up to date. We cannot afford an account to do accounts and bring things up to date. We have really been waiting for HMRC to take us to court and bankrupt us. We have stopped trading in this name in the last month and have been trying to bring the business bank account to zero and close it - we have an overdraft on the account of £3000 (guaranteed to us) which we were hoping to pay off bit by bit before closing so we weren't forced to trying to pay it all at once.
Now due to non filing of accounts Companies house are saying that we may be referred to the public prosecution service if we do not contact them - they refer to an earlier letter which we do not remember receiving. We will contact them but what do we say?
If we say we are insolvent will they then ask HMRC to bankrupt us? and/or will they still try to prosecute us?
Will the prosecution be against my husband as an individual? I know there is a potential fine - but what else is the impact of this in terms of having a record etc?
Can we avoid prosecution at this or any later stage by trying to scrape together money to file something and how accurate would these records need to be - in the past records we have filed have always been under the "small company exemption" (think that is what it is called)
We did ask for some advice before from an insolvency practitioner but they had said they thought we would be taken for bankruptcy by HMRC really quickly (this was about Feb last year)
Also in trouble for not filing my husbands tax return for similar reason - no accounts?
Can anyone advise? If HMRC make us bankrupt can we still go to court for non filing of accounts or can we ask for time to file to avoid this - even after company is bankrupt?
It is a limited company - my husband is now the only director as for various reasons I removed myself 3 months ago.
We are based in Northern Ireland
As well as owing about 30k in VAT we owe one company 1k and have about 1k owing in corporation tax from the last year we filed accounts.
Also need to check filing dates as it may now be two years accounts we owe?
My husband is now working as an employee for someone else. (since Feb)
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 48 1
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 205 6
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 138 7
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,012 18
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 24 1
- SA302's anyone?? 440 15
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,427 17
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 669 23
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 86 2
- Renting for military reasons 75 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 91 1
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 208 3
- do i pay vat when buying a business 475 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,967 30
- Tax status of prizes 300 17
- Accounting for a finance lease 71 2
- Clogged Losses 238 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 297 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 243 2
- Receiving dividends from a pension fund? 103 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,611
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 893
- International interest certificate 503
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 275
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Management expenses for investment company 256
- Help with tax codes on Sage 204
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 168
- tax on apprenticeship income 160