Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 494 14
- Dividend Vouchers 359 5
- Gift to employee 402 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 156 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 128 2
- practice planning 75 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,107 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 175 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 153 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,653 10
- Which address 1,071 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 601 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,510 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,218 44
- R&D tax claim 259 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 547 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 210 7
- Tax Allowance on University Course 197 1
- Transfer of a business 131 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,172 22
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 487
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 321
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 271
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 262
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 167
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 128