Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- option to tax 173 1
- Share of profits from building society 27 1
- B2B vat in the EU 58 1
- VAT on deposits 172 1
- sage vat journal 49 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,567 44
- Coding Notice 69 1
- Free invoicing software 93 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 294 17
- New business - journal entries 215 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 540 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 241 7
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 159 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 401 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 666 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 342 4
- Trade name 87 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 182 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 123 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 106 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 742
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 376
- Social investment tax relief 196
- Digita Hosted Software 189
- Call Centre Data Costs 186
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 150
- Travel costs and contractors 140
- Certificates of tax deposit 124
- Irish resident and UK tax 123