Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 924 29
- You know its over 291 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 477 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 201 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 151 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 139 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 203 3
- Cocaine anyone? 487 8
- Late Registration for VAT 474 13
- EIS/SEIS 134 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 267 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 406 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 410 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 699 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 549 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 577 4
- Personal pension 395 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,208 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 159 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 451
- corporate hierarchy 431
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 221
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 172
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171