Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,973 70
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 205 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,941 47
- inflation rate year on year 179 4
- Accounts Question 148 5
- Deleted question? 755 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,210 67
- MAAT vs ACCA 725 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,410 24
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 665 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 456 4
- VAT Return Errors 198 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 155 5
- Yorkshire Day 616 38
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 196 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 384 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 153 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 298 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 242 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 158 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 379
- Probiz 358
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 264
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 238
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 233
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 154