Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,185 17
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 267 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 392 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 165 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,117 13
- Really?! 825 10
- CIS 221 5
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,375 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 650 15
- VAT 701/49 query 227 2
- backpack 312 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 175 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 259 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 350 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 199 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 177 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 197 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 144 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 257 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 468 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 706
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 359
- Costly Accounting Software contract 314
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- Directors' advances and credits 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203