Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,073 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 114 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 593 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 101 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 97 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 154 1
- How to deal with prior year error 146 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 524 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,335 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,045 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 403 4
- Exemption from CGT 226 2
- VAT Registration 238 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 466 14
- Autumn statement predictions 430 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 330 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 185 3
- Moneysoft error 434 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26