Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Cash basis 174 6
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 639 27
- Cash basis 825 29
- NIC thresholds - two employments 2,010 34
- Auto-Enrolment 4,296 189
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 371 12
- Please tell me what to do!! 495 13
- VAT on exports to EU 114 5
- 5th April 405 16
- s455 Directors loan 265 4
- Company buy back of shares from directors 242 11
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 293 2
- Investor exit 259 4
- client threatening legal action 2,344 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 160 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 263 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 360 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,614 23
- Rental income 198 2
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 81 1
- Skandia using wrong address 620
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 331
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 276
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 241
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 166
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 159
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 148
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 142