Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 191 5
- Newly Started Practice 205 6
- Commission on holiday accrual 73 1
- error on companies house accounts 124 4
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 160 2
- HMRC computer behind the times 195 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 108 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 99 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 351 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 235 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 171 2
- Generic Notification Notices 130 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 452 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 118 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 438 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 97 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 247 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 149 1
- fraud 418 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 245 3
- QROP pension input amounts 477
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 441
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 418
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 269
- EPS and CIS deductions 261
- Construction CIS LLP Company 248
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 215
- SAGE winforecast 181
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166