Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 126 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 305 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 35 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 267 7
- Family Partnership 284 9
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 177 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 190 6
- Business trips - director and family 417 3
- Signed accounts for bank 662 15
- flat rate scheme 2,373 50
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 168 2
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 327 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 183 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 91 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 850 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 204 5
- VAT Query on new build 126 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 116 1
- P11D Car Value 273 6
- NOVA declaration 112 1