Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 336 2
- VAT Option to tax 355 8
- Sage payroll 642 14
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 281 16
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 259 3
- Client has been fined by HMRC 804 18
- LLP members share of profits 464 27
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 77 4
- Consortium relief and bad debts 83 4
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,057 22
- Entrepreneurs Relief 103 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,024 17
- Laptop purchase 1,579 21
- CVA guidance 108 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 117 1
- Total cost of employment 289 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 269 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 527 10
- directors loan movements and repayments 249 3
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 78 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 626
- Free Tax Legislation? 383
- Director Loan account operation 382
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 305
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 279
- Paye procedures for CVA 210
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 202
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 163