Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 356 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,419 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 167 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 438 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 736 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 115 3
- What would you do in this situation? 160 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 140 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 610 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 641 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 93 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 344 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 247 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 399 6
- NOVA 557 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 277 10
- Regional Development Grant 126 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,432 21
- Company car without a salary 239 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 290
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 180
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 156
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132