Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,005 404
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 181 12
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 751 33
- Saying goodbye 87 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 270 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 578 22
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 227 4
- Naming new company 64 3
- Expenses prior to Startup date for startup 133 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 365 4
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 708 6
- Tax on private fuel for own car 155 4
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,636 9
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 230 11
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 188 3
- Drop box Storage 99 1
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 306 8
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 226 13
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,346 22
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 215 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,264
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 350
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 280
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 257
- Franchise income and costs 233
- Hands on experience of Digita 188
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 171
- Employer's Helpline 142