Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Marriage Allowance 153 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,025 12
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 326 4
- S455 and February year ends 211 7
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 371 9
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,234 32
- HMRC having technical difficulties 755 18
- Closing down loss-making company 398 5
- S.455 Tax again 262 3
- New Build 321 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 359 4
- Mortgage Reference 769 10
- RTI offline? 152 1
- Right To Manage Company 250 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 148 1
- Giving shares away 309 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 609 5
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 252 5
- Where to post pension on sa100 200 4
- IR 35 Company - Timing issue 271 2