Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 29 1
- Why .... 414 6
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 572 17
- Freehold Property Depreciation 326 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 89 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 600 2
- Relevant life plan 129 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 251 4
- Non domicile swiss bank 41 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 403 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 120 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 197 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 205 7
- Limited Company expenses 211 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 299 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 296 5
- Software recommendations? 241 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 128 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 337 3
- Shares paid - petty cash 223 4
- Possible Partnership? 573
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 491
- New Fangled Penalties 376
- Clubs and Taxable Income 308
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 231
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 196
- Outsource Data Entry 188
- Moving away from CCH software 172