Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 741 5
- See you all on the other side 762 6
- 12Pay 534 2
- dividends 738 2
- R&D 364 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,228 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 479 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 477 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 427 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 578 5
- Seeking a tax case 686 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 546 4
- Companies house strike off 656 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 481 2
- Moving to the cloud 786 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 947 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 233 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,120 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 536 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 577
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 431
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 367
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 351
- Marginal rates of tax 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 343
- Class 2 NI 329
- USA help 328
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 311