Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 137 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,068 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 148 2
- What would you do in this situation? 658 14
- Dress code 475 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 507 16
- Project being run jointly 204 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 312 4
- Companies House 609 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 365 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 733 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,444 25
- Help Required 423 10
- directors control and tax problems 302 5
- Fastest Software 806 13
- What's in a name ? 400 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 312 4
- Bulk Invoicing 192 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 185 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 265 2
- CTA study material 714
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 437
- Employment related securities question 274
- AIM Stocks and IHT 252
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 249
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 225
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 213
- Expat pension contributions? 200
- Trust for Employee 197
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 176