Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- VAT on exports to EU 89 3
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 587 24
- 5th April 296 10
- Company buy back of shares from directors 207 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 350 8
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,989 33
- Cash basis 141 5
- Cash basis 799 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 281 2
- Investor exit 254 4
- client threatening legal action 2,318 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 139 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 244 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 347 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,592 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 337 9
- Rental income 168 2
- s455 Directors loan 225 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 78 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,197 8
- Skandia using wrong address 612
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 141
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 139