Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- flat rate scheme 2,344 50
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 147 2
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 151 5
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 109 4
- Family Partnership 250 7
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 316 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 129 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 61 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 183 4
- Signed accounts for bank 642 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 836 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 292 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 173 5
- VAT Query on new build 109 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 98 1
- P11D Car Value 263 6
- NOVA declaration 107 1
- Business valuation advice 709 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,512 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,227 23