Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- HMRC time to pay and bailiff letters 418 5
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 521 17
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 324 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 747 9
- No Contact From Client - When to Disengage? 372 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 832 12
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 260 6
- Car benefit or not? 1,449 17
- Associate Dentist SD86 much higher than deductions 145 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 456 9
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 475 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 238 6
- Auto Enrolment 134 1
- Not renewing AAT 888 11
- Company ceased trading 161 4
- Questions from Liquidator 2,142 22
- Casual Driver 421 6
- Email encryption 1,476 16
- New dividend taxation 762 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 95 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 688
- Property letting & CAs 417
- 2015 tax year end 414
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 401
- FCA regulated company in a small group 356
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 332
- Costly Accounting Software contract 272
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 245
- Directors' advances and credits 231
- DTA tie-breaker issue 231