Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Community awards 2014 - first category 130 5
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 54 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 429 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 141 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 294 3
- Payment plans for clients 264 3
- CT600 248 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 310 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 77 1
- Lease 129 4
- Free invoicing software 493 4
- Digita Hosted Software 394 4
- signature required 874 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,315 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 176 5
- Thin Client recomendation 226 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 191 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 174 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 119 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 134 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,302
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 543
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 226
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 173
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 155
- Sole trader CPD 145