Non resident satus
I have a client who is a UK citizen. He left UK to work abroad in 1993 and worked abroad for about 9!years. He came back to UK in September 2002.
During these years , he never spent more than 90 days in any year in the UK.
In reality , his visits to the UK were very short .
He worked abroad as a contractor but some of his earnings were paid to a comapny incorporated in thr UK of which he was a director. The earnings were paid into a UK based bank and he drew a a dividend ?
I have following queries.
1) What is the tax liability of the individual for the earnings
2) how does it affect the non resident status of the individual and the funds ? If he bought a property with these funds whilst we was working abroad and then sold it before returning to the UK , are the gains exempt from CGT?
3) what is th status of the earnings that were not routed through the UK company and paid directly into his his own offshore account ?
If the individual had been paid a salary by the company , would the tax position be any different in first two queries ?
Thanks for any guidance
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 260 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 125 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,336 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 231 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 227 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 33 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 480 15
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 262 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 519 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 806 19
- Flat rate vat error 289 6
- can I claim a per diem 222 4
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 143 3
- Linux Accounting Software 553 13
- RTI due -no broadband 133 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 470 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 89 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 110 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 885 10
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,200 27
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 819
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 218
- Investment property company accounts template 213
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 176