Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Investment properties/freehold land 23 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 427 19
- Capital Loss 51 3
- HMRC filing meltdown? 776 25
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 641 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 383 6
- no utr 173 7
- LLP formed in 2013 49 1
- Tax Returns for non residents 217 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,062 47
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 73 2
- Clothing 466 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 204 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 144 7
- Practice management 426 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 116 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,676 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,697 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 234 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 307 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 944
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 610
- Latest phishing scam 591
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 428
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 255
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 245
- Sabbatical payments 210
- Negligible Value Claim 188