Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- What are options for non CA firm 1,308 17
- No VAT returns submitted since registration 29 1
- Capital allowances 186 4
- Who owns the data 56 1
- Use of aliases 661 18
- Real names 259 8
- Builder - Roll over relief 357 16
- Studying accountant has hit a brick wall - help me! 2,094 19
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 142 5
- Accounting Crew 792 17
- Dividend payment date 1,768 30
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 69 1
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 475 12
- Complete business outside UK 119 2
- What's the plural? 587 12
- to VAT or not to VAT 156 3
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 264 11
- Loan interest rental property 151 4
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,852 47
- Unclaimed customer balance 143 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 566
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 421
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 324
- IFA incorporation 299
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 290
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 279
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 245
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 232
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 218
- Sorry ignore me 179