Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Issue with a software supplier 118 4
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 105 4
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 167 6
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 241 5
- Limited Company trading status. 203 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 48 1
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,550 29
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 113 2
- Aquisition Value 98 3
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 365 8
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 420 12
- Dividends 258 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 788 13
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 152 4
- Unpaid Fee's 220 5
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,281 11
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 188 4
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 286 1
- How much to charge? 639 9
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 264 3
- Possible Partnership? 503
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 484
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 460
- New Fangled Penalties 296
- Clubs and Taxable Income 255
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 253
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 243
- Loans to other companies 189
- Tasbook email configuration 178
- Accomodation and travel 172