Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 121 5
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 459 8
- R&D tax claim 221 6
- Gift to employee 359 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 79 1
- Transfer of a business 102 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,107 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 402 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 105 2
- Sage Import Data 296 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 237 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 97 2
- Best time software for small practice? 208 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 312 13
- private to company car? 362 9
- Which address 1,004 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 105 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 260 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 956 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 269 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 472
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 328
- Pre incorp expenses 305
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 261
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 249
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 151
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 136
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130