Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 283 6
- Childcare vouchers 58 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 186 5
- VAT avoidance? 144 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 135 3
- PAYE coding out 121 3
- Follower cases 558 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 304 3
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 711 23
- LIVE chat, starting now 439 2
- Late Registration for VAT 431 12
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 389 5
- TheTax Donut 1,125 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 317 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 696 10
- How to explain this to someone 386 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 80 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 706 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 314 4
- Old CGT loss 358 10
- Hive up 458
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 423
- corporate hierarchy 410
- Advice - 233
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 208
- Amortisation of Goodwill 200
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 191
- WWOOFers 185
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 168
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 166