Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 478 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 97 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,105 7
- Bereavment payment 87 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 273 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 344 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,295 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 150 2
- Companies House incorporation service 349 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 77 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 151 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 193 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 205 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 267 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 143 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 153 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 133 2
- Trading income or not? 199 1
- Charge HMRC 424 3
- Xtuple 549
- Qtac payroll for bureau 376
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 320
- Industrial & Provident Societies 314
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 292
- CIS schemes 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 187
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 186
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178