Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 48 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,709 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 232 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 366 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 267 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 225 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 898 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 178 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 107 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 192 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 394 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 335 9
- Merging my businesses 142 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,725 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 518 16
- VAT on commercial property 153 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,050 49
- deceased creditor 210 5
- Corporate member of LLP 281 1
- Investment company 274 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 539
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 308
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 289
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 272
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260