Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Personal allowance 634 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,099 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 117 1
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 86 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 711 30
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 106 3
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 799 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 265 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 371 10
- VAT on employee loan 288 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 948 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 134 2
- Accountants website 382 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 168 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 468 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 99 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 114 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 224 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 176 6
- Moving away from CCH software 939
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188