Not been self employed since 05/06 but being fined through PAYE?
I was working as a car cleaner in 05/06 self employed at the end of 06 I sent the hmrc a letter to inform them I was no longer self employed but now employed, since then I have being paying my tax via PAYE, and moved house. Three days ago I recieved a letter stating that they was going to take what I owed for national insurance contributions through my tax code, I phoned them and they also informed me that in total I owed over £3500?? I never received any self assessment forms in the post, just this letter.
Why would I owe so much, are they fines for not filling my self assements, in contributions what else could they be? Also it says they will start taking this from April I'm worried now as I have a young family and we really struggle as it is aswell having a dmp with step change due to previous credit card debts.
My boss has offered to pay for his accountant to try and resolve this on my behalf. Would this be a good idea or would I be better off on my own.
Will I still have to pay these fines through my tax code?
How do I resolve this?
Sorry for the 21 questions I'm just really panicking about it and annoyed that this was the first time I heard about it as far as I was aware they knew I was no longer self employed, they must know I'm now employed as I am paying tax via PAYE ? Any advice or help would be really appreciated I m not eating or sleeping through panicking about how much tax they will take and how I'm going to make ends meet.
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 204 10
- Standard 'email' template system 839 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 418 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,544 283
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,001 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 199 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 67 1
- Circular shareholding 201 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 177 6
- business card address 270 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 207 2
- Declined for business bank account 170 4
- Loan to a related company 71 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 633 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 323 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 247 8
- property rental income split 115 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 132 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 100 1
- Payroll provider 165 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,110
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 363
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 299
- National Insurance 268
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 238
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 219
- Non Resident 185
- Franchise income and costs 174
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 170