Not declaring income from property
I found out this morning that the partner of one of my friends is receiving income from rental property and not declaring it. She is also employed.
When I asked her why she hadn't declaring it she said she "didn't need to" as she wasn't making a "profit". Her mortgage is £600pm (or there about) and rent received is £520. She therefore thinks that because her mortgage is more than the rent, that she is not making a profit. Her mortgage is a capital repayment mortgage and is NOT a buy to let product.
I tried my best to explain that the capital repayment element of her mortgage was not an allowable expense, but she was not prepared to listen. I also told her that she HAS to declare the income, and again she was not prepared to listen.
Maybe I wasn’t speaking in layman’s terms and she didn’t understand. How can I explain this in a more simple way?
- UK tax exposure 297 5
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 239 8
- flat rate scheme 482 11
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,406 40
- Allocation of income from property 53 1
- Companies House Presenter Account 67 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,194 11
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 504 8
- Directors salary 101 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 97 1
- Rental Expenses 256 7
- Defer,Accrue & Wip 275 7
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 354 2
- regulated mortgage work? 168 2
- any help? 324 4
- HMRC turning post around in 11 - 12 weeks? 384 8
- Companies House? 294 3
- Echosign mail merge? 302 1
- Before I call employers helpline 275 1
- VAT refund 435 4