I have received a repayment notice from HMRC in the post today for a client. Going onto their website, it appears that (ex)client has submitted his own return, and HMRC have kindly given him a refund.
The abbreviated figures show -
various expenses creating loss of £
CIS tax deducted £2,440.00.
Firstly, am I missing something?? By my reckoning, the maximum CIS that could deducted is £297.40.
Secondly, how do I distance myself from the situation? A disengagement letter will be in the post tonight. What else should I do - write a letter to HMRC saying that I no longer act for said client? I know from past experience that just deleting from the client list has no effect........
I do hope that he doesn't spend all the money at once ;-)
Thanks in advance for any wise words of wisdom.
- Write off of former director's loan 281 6
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 124 6
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 210 5
- Flat rate vat error 34 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 71 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 77 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 500 10
- Which software for practice books? 364 15
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 219 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 86 2
- VAT enquiry 153 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 483 15
- Inheritance tax 262 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 79 1
- Accountant software 309 8
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 153 3
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 297 6
- Tax residence 104 2
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 155 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,695 33
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 656
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 452
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 198
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 192
- Tax efficient holding company structure 180
- Investment property company accounts template 168
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 165