I have received a repayment notice from HMRC in the post today for a client. Going onto their website, it appears that (ex)client has submitted his own return, and HMRC have kindly given him a refund.
The abbreviated figures show -
various expenses creating loss of £
CIS tax deducted £2,440.00.
Firstly, am I missing something?? By my reckoning, the maximum CIS that could deducted is £297.40.
Secondly, how do I distance myself from the situation? A disengagement letter will be in the post tonight. What else should I do - write a letter to HMRC saying that I no longer act for said client? I know from past experience that just deleting from the client list has no effect........
I do hope that he doesn't spend all the money at once ;-)
Thanks in advance for any wise words of wisdom.
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 35 1
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 391 16
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 21 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 18 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 461 15
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 124 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 727 11
- Sports Sponsorship 67 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 204 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 202 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 139 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,280 14
- Best software for small practice? 570 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,247 21
- HMRC Enquiry 450 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 178 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 283 4
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,444 16
- Long/Short Period of Account 180 3
- Another HMRC Cock Up 774 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 763
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 452
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 222
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181