I have received a repayment notice from HMRC in the post today for a client. Going onto their website, it appears that (ex)client has submitted his own return, and HMRC have kindly given him a refund.
The abbreviated figures show -
various expenses creating loss of £
CIS tax deducted £2,440.00.
Firstly, am I missing something?? By my reckoning, the maximum CIS that could deducted is £297.40.
Secondly, how do I distance myself from the situation? A disengagement letter will be in the post tonight. What else should I do - write a letter to HMRC saying that I no longer act for said client? I know from past experience that just deleting from the client list has no effect........
I do hope that he doesn't spend all the money at once ;-)
Thanks in advance for any wise words of wisdom.
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 70 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 282 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 198 2
- cross border vat 105 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,889 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 751 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 243 12
- Can't read my handwriting 619 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,644 74
- Employing a carer 112 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 525 16
- PRR 441 14
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 209 13
- Corp Tax Refund 165 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 384 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 272 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 78 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 227 1
- Audit partner? 269 6
- Losses on FHL Property 116 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 516
- National Insurance 407
- Non Resident 317
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 219
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 181
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 149
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 144