I have received a repayment notice from HMRC in the post today for a client. Going onto their website, it appears that (ex)client has submitted his own return, and HMRC have kindly given him a refund.
The abbreviated figures show -
various expenses creating loss of £
CIS tax deducted £2,440.00.
Firstly, am I missing something?? By my reckoning, the maximum CIS that could deducted is £297.40.
Secondly, how do I distance myself from the situation? A disengagement letter will be in the post tonight. What else should I do - write a letter to HMRC saying that I no longer act for said client? I know from past experience that just deleting from the client list has no effect........
I do hope that he doesn't spend all the money at once ;-)
Thanks in advance for any wise words of wisdom.
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 488 8
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 279 3
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 295 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 217 4
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 130 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 930 20
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 262 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 943 14
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 187 4
- Client right to working papers 1,548 11
- vat gross margins 192 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 218 4
- e mail 234 1
- Auto enrolment 582 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,361 6
- VAT on new build property 169 2
- Auto enrolment 302 9
- SAGE 50 2011 166 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,639 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,883 22
- NHS finance professionals 672
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 413
- Foreign Pension Contribution 384
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 371
- vat gross profit percentage margins 368
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 355
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 315
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 285
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 245
- IFA income recognition & reporting 215