OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 164 3
- Hmrc software 209 3
- Mehjoo 264 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 197 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 103 1
- SA302 256 4
- Hosted email exchange 170 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 159 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 270 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 303 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 239 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 145 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 278 7
- New Email Extensions 189 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 309 2
- Dental practice incorpration 153 1
- Audit rules 176 4
- Go Cardless 311 8
- business entertaining deductibility 179 1
- Xtuple 507
- Qtac payroll for bureau 343
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 290
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 169
- Domain name sale and limited company 166
- CIS schemes 160
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 159
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 140