OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 497 13
- Incapable of reading 90 1
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,244 19
- How to pay national insurance 131 2
- Overlap relief 456 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 95 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 67 1
- Dormant payroll 837 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 170 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 122 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,327 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 623 13
- PPR exemption on separation 144 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,544 10
- Selling a practice 327 4
- Intercompany loans 109 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 170 3
- Limited Company 335 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 126 1
- Suspicious debt recovery offer? 208 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 345
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 335
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 231
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199