OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- The return 536 18
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 30 1
- Limited Company trading status. 306 8
- Payroll 135 6
- Classic cars investment 500 14
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 937 42
- Vat registration 154 5
- VAT ON MAINTENANCE PROVIDED TO ESTATE AGENT 86 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 185 6
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 205 2
- HMRC Uncleared Credit 153 2
- Audit and paypal balances 142 6
- Dividends & S455 162 2
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 253 6
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 232 2
- Transfer of shares to ultimate controlling party 132 7
- Professional Qualification 497 7
- Missing C79 126 4
- Buying fees 631 4
- Tiwan contractor 83 2
- Possible Partnership? 547
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 539
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 475
- New Fangled Penalties 342
- Clubs and Taxable Income 284
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 268
- Loans to other companies 212
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 201
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 171
- Outsource Data Entry 170