OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 278 11
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 275 6
- Dress code 865 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,565 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 532 4
- Interest relief before property is rented out 131 2
- Dividend 335 6
- FRS and Debtors 159 2
- What's in a name ? 546 6
- Helping out a friend 435 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 230 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 410 5
- ACCA practice certificates 334 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,278 36
- Umbrella Companies 261 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 175 2
- What would you do in this situation? 823 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 328 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 597 16
- Project being run jointly 264 3
- CTA study material 739
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Employment related securities question 294
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 293
- AIM Stocks and IHT 265
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 222
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 215
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139