OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 242 7
- Directors loan accounts 374 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 312 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 252 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 102 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 173 1
- Employed clients and expenses 793 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,032 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 696 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 901 34
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,104 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 508 18
- I.d for vat registration 270 10
- Bookkeping software 901 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 288 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 251 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 345 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,826 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 128 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 160 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 540
- NOVA 489
- Bonus Bonds 374
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 353
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 274
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 156
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 140
- Finance Lease 139