OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 40 1
- is this fraud? 542 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,219 27
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 765 14
- Not a good start no broadband 330 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 382 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 602 10
- Property initial recognition 127 2
- P11D Dispensation 204 3
- Question regarding gym training 231 3
- CPD 89 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 406 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 136 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 172 4
- Directors Subsistence 379 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 204 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 428 9
- R&D tax credit claim 169 4
- New company - form a group? 108 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 138 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 566
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 241
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 185
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 169
- Car leasing scheme 158