OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- FYAs on second-hand vans 216 6
- Why do I do this every year 343 9
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 240 20
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 290 5
- closing limited company 139 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 54 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 476 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 242 9
- IHT and US resident 46 1
- What sectors to target? 582 29
- Limited Companies Merger 206 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 129 1
- Practice management 376 7
- IHT and cash gifts 241 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 516 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,588 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 251 1
- eBay trading 231 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 258 10
- Self assesment online 948 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 925
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 593
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 409
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 309
- Scratch Head 237
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 193
- Negligible Value Claim 168