OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 125 3
- CGT on selling company shares 189 8
- Moneysoft Payroll 660 16
- Companies House Search 352 4
- Property gift to sister 277 8
- do i need an online accounting software 140 3
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 85 2
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 383 4
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,679 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 160 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,609 28
- Who gets the CGT deduction 288 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 651 9
- VAT training 390 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 286 7
- 31st october deadline 405 6
- RTI Late Registration query 159 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 269 2
- Payroll software 212 1
- Accounting for display stands 294 7
- NHS finance professionals 716
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 231
- IFA income recognition & reporting 229