OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- 100% Xero practice 2,575 49
- capital gains on PPR 332 17
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,548 33
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 718 29
- Devolved HMRC? 67 1
- PAYE 250 5
- What accounting software is there for Irish Accounts? 205 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 179 1
- incorrect PAYE statements 246 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 126 1
- Cloud based payroll sofware? 494 8
- Does anyone use quotation software? 143 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,113 452
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 432 5
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 340 10
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 441 10
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 392 5
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 578 10
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 349 12
- Direct Debit - no receipts 317 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,326
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 488
- National Insurance 377
- Non Resident 302
- Franchise income and costs 267
- Hands on experience of Digita 221
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 198
- Employer's Helpline 170
- employment capital allowances 167
- CIS paid under reg 9 162