OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 191 6
- Error in audited accounts 46 1
- Vat registration exception 195 3
- CIS software 68 2
- Homing sandwiches 457 11
- CT600 116 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 174 7
- Settlement discount 139 4
- signature required 513 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 513 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 183 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 169 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 126 2
- Pratice Management Software 134 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 212 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 133 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 188 2
- Related Party Transactions 125 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 116 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 473 9
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,244
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 814
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 521
- Digita Hosted Software 338
- Credit where credit's due....... 313
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 237
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 197
- TheTax Donut 180
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 159