OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 690 19
- Sage Priority Support 95 2
- incorrect old p60 123 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 486 4
- VAT on new builds 116 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 347 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 125 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 118 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 138 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,842 26
- Missing tax return 180 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 920 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 276 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 165 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 557 18
- Physiotherapy 246 3
- Inflation and fees 1,219 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 170 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 284 8
- CGT help please 151 1