OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 48 2
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 24 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 558 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 625 5
- Claiming VAT on car lease 375 26
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 69 2
- Freelance/Employee 610 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 140 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 288 6
- Is it just me ... 182 5
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 115 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 257 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 84 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 321 10
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 120 1
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 209 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,463 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 104 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 348 14
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,168 27
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 739
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 403
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 350
- Electric Car 287
- S222 Charge 234
- IP trans to holding company 182
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 178
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 166
- AIA 162
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 154