OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Cloud accounting package 109 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 986 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 776 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 481 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 244 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 145 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 227 6
- Next Move 320 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 393 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 173 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 221 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 698 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 271 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 157 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,230 34
- Casual Driver 247 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 343 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,259 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 372
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217