OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 35 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,258 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,233 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 973 29
- You know its over 368 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 504 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 244 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 194 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 179 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 281 3
- Cocaine anyone? 527 8
- Late Registration for VAT 497 13
- EIS/SEIS 156 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 283 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 432 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 432 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 731 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 565 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 601 4
- Personal pension 407 9
- Hive up 495
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 464
- corporate hierarchy 446
- Advice - 276
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 229
- WWOOFers 221
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 210
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 206
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 185
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 177