OK, maybe not so straightfoward P11D question after all!
I posted a question earlier in the week regarding a client that was payrolling their BUPA benefit to their employees. It appeared to be straightforward. the company was paying for BUPA and the employees were having the cost of the BUPA healthcare deducted from their payslips. Easy peasy. Enter amount of healthcare for employee on P11D and enter the same amount in the 'Amount Made Good' box.
The stroppy admin assistant that administers the payroll has waited until the day before the filing deadline to inform me (in an entirely irritating manner) that the employee taking up the BUPA is given a BUPA allowance in their Pay. So the amount of the BUPA benefit is added to their gross salary and shown as a separate line on the payslips. Tax and NICs is deducted. Then the BUPA deduction is taken out of the net pay.
The BUPA allowance is being added to the gross salary and having tax deducted but not NICs. This is why she is saying that it is a benefit.
I don't understand, surely if they are increasing the salary by £x to cover the bupa allowance this should be taxed and NICd in the same way as if they were to provide a salary increase. This would be mean the employee is out of pocket as the same amount is being deducted from the gross salary.
I am confused!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
- Quote for client 208 5
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 263 10
- Investment property? 540 4
- error on companies house accounts 892 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 163 3
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 987 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 99 2
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 250 5
- Client's company struck off 1,779 21
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 81 1
- Refurbised Pub 159 4
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 171 4
- Directors obligation to notify 380 6
- Tax relief in respect of rental property/withdrawing of capital 83 2
- ATED on a hotel that isn't in use? 103 1
- Tax and children 321 2
- Moneysoft update problem 252 4
- HMRC stupidity of the day 576 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 846 7
- QROP pension input amounts 532 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 514
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 452
- EPS and CIS deductions 318
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 302
- Construction CIS LLP Company 293
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 275
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 221
- SAGE winforecast 212
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 199
- Overdrawn director account 199