"only in an Irish dictionary"
You've all heard the saying that "cleanliness is next to godliness, but only in an Irish dictionary!"
Well according to the Post Office, urgency means certainty when seeking their advice when deciding how to send a letter.
On 16th January I sent, by first class recorded delivery, a form R27 to a client for signing and onward submission to HMRC. It was never delivered and so never forwarded by the Client. There is now a penalty to be sorted out.
But, I had asked a precise question at the Post Office: "which is the best way to be certain that the letter will arrive at its destination?".
I was told that first class recorded delivery would be the best as the letter would be delivered within one to three working days.
This was a lie. Royal Mail tell me that 0.03% of all letters are always lost in the post and that first class delivery, recorded or not, is no guarantee whatsoever that a letter will be delivered for certain.
The Post Office say that their counter staff are supposed to ask two questions when asked for help by the public. Firstly, does the letter contain anything valuable and, secondly, is it urgent. They did and I said no to both; the letter had no value as such, the assurance that it would arrive in one to three working days was enough so urgency was also not an issue.
I have been told that the use of the word urgent is meant to cover both timing and certainty when deciding whether or not recorded delivery is appropriate.
This is total nonsense.
I wish to warn one and all about relying on any advice given by their staff.
- Flat rate vat error 106 3
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 188 5
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,741 36
- Tax residence 112 3
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 74 4
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 281 7
- Which software for practice books? 396 17
- Seed EIS company 66 2
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 141 7
- EC TAX 47 1
- Pension contributions limits 204 9
- Write off of former director's loan 307 7
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 85 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 96 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 537 10
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 265 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 92 2
- VAT enquiry 164 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 501 15
- Inheritance tax 281 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 662
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 454
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 199
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 194
- Tax efficient holding company structure 183
- Investment property company accounts template 173
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 166