"only in an Irish dictionary"
You've all heard the saying that "cleanliness is next to godliness, but only in an Irish dictionary!"
Well according to the Post Office, urgency means certainty when seeking their advice when deciding how to send a letter.
On 16th January I sent, by first class recorded delivery, a form R27 to a client for signing and onward submission to HMRC. It was never delivered and so never forwarded by the Client. There is now a penalty to be sorted out.
But, I had asked a precise question at the Post Office: "which is the best way to be certain that the letter will arrive at its destination?".
I was told that first class recorded delivery would be the best as the letter would be delivered within one to three working days.
This was a lie. Royal Mail tell me that 0.03% of all letters are always lost in the post and that first class delivery, recorded or not, is no guarantee whatsoever that a letter will be delivered for certain.
The Post Office say that their counter staff are supposed to ask two questions when asked for help by the public. Firstly, does the letter contain anything valuable and, secondly, is it urgent. They did and I said no to both; the letter had no value as such, the assurance that it would arrive in one to three working days was enough so urgency was also not an issue.
I have been told that the use of the word urgent is meant to cover both timing and certainty when deciding whether or not recorded delivery is appropriate.
This is total nonsense.
I wish to warn one and all about relying on any advice given by their staff.
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 253 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 455 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 538 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 149 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 284 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 105 2
- Limited company buying a car 131 3
- ACCA practice certificates 491 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 71 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 86 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 300 13
- Dress code 1,544 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 475 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 253 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 375 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 471 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 181 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 767
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 477
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 395
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 173
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147