"only in an Irish dictionary"
You've all heard the saying that "cleanliness is next to godliness, but only in an Irish dictionary!"
Well according to the Post Office, urgency means certainty when seeking their advice when deciding how to send a letter.
On 16th January I sent, by first class recorded delivery, a form R27 to a client for signing and onward submission to HMRC. It was never delivered and so never forwarded by the Client. There is now a penalty to be sorted out.
But, I had asked a precise question at the Post Office: "which is the best way to be certain that the letter will arrive at its destination?".
I was told that first class recorded delivery would be the best as the letter would be delivered within one to three working days.
This was a lie. Royal Mail tell me that 0.03% of all letters are always lost in the post and that first class delivery, recorded or not, is no guarantee whatsoever that a letter will be delivered for certain.
The Post Office say that their counter staff are supposed to ask two questions when asked for help by the public. Firstly, does the letter contain anything valuable and, secondly, is it urgent. They did and I said no to both; the letter had no value as such, the assurance that it would arrive in one to three working days was enough so urgency was also not an issue.
I have been told that the use of the word urgent is meant to cover both timing and certainty when deciding whether or not recorded delivery is appropriate.
This is total nonsense.
I wish to warn one and all about relying on any advice given by their staff.
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 230 12
- Client Death 206 2
- Coding notices post P11d 1,842 12
- Tax position re this lease? 186 3
- Fixed Assets 285 5
- Normal trading company or property management company for CT600? 140 1
- What are options for non CA firm 1,682 26
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 570 24
- Real names 1,176 35
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 84 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 156 2
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 261 8
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 187 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,941 35
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 221 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,390 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 718 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 251 7
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 155 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 333 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 585
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 355
- IFA incorporation 340
- Sorry ignore me 328
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 282
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 275
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 265
- Cancelled 208
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 179