"only in an Irish dictionary"
You've all heard the saying that "cleanliness is next to godliness, but only in an Irish dictionary!"
Well according to the Post Office, urgency means certainty when seeking their advice when deciding how to send a letter.
On 16th January I sent, by first class recorded delivery, a form R27 to a client for signing and onward submission to HMRC. It was never delivered and so never forwarded by the Client. There is now a penalty to be sorted out.
But, I had asked a precise question at the Post Office: "which is the best way to be certain that the letter will arrive at its destination?".
I was told that first class recorded delivery would be the best as the letter would be delivered within one to three working days.
This was a lie. Royal Mail tell me that 0.03% of all letters are always lost in the post and that first class delivery, recorded or not, is no guarantee whatsoever that a letter will be delivered for certain.
The Post Office say that their counter staff are supposed to ask two questions when asked for help by the public. Firstly, does the letter contain anything valuable and, secondly, is it urgent. They did and I said no to both; the letter had no value as such, the assurance that it would arrive in one to three working days was enough so urgency was also not an issue.
I have been told that the use of the word urgent is meant to cover both timing and certainty when deciding whether or not recorded delivery is appropriate.
This is total nonsense.
I wish to warn one and all about relying on any advice given by their staff.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 767 32
- VAT Invoice 66 3
- IHT and Swiss Property 101 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 174 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 124 7
- General tax book with planning 94 1
- Gift of property & improvements 76 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 237 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 118 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 412 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 340 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 232 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 154 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 249 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 151 4
- SA302's anyone?? 517 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,628 41
- Renting for military reasons 175 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,563 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,042 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,616
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 261
- Bonus Bonds 259
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 166
- P11D benefit received by widow 147