"only in an Irish dictionary"
You've all heard the saying that "cleanliness is next to godliness, but only in an Irish dictionary!"
Well according to the Post Office, urgency means certainty when seeking their advice when deciding how to send a letter.
On 16th January I sent, by first class recorded delivery, a form R27 to a client for signing and onward submission to HMRC. It was never delivered and so never forwarded by the Client. There is now a penalty to be sorted out.
But, I had asked a precise question at the Post Office: "which is the best way to be certain that the letter will arrive at its destination?".
I was told that first class recorded delivery would be the best as the letter would be delivered within one to three working days.
This was a lie. Royal Mail tell me that 0.03% of all letters are always lost in the post and that first class delivery, recorded or not, is no guarantee whatsoever that a letter will be delivered for certain.
The Post Office say that their counter staff are supposed to ask two questions when asked for help by the public. Firstly, does the letter contain anything valuable and, secondly, is it urgent. They did and I said no to both; the letter had no value as such, the assurance that it would arrive in one to three working days was enough so urgency was also not an issue.
I have been told that the use of the word urgent is meant to cover both timing and certainty when deciding whether or not recorded delivery is appropriate.
This is total nonsense.
I wish to warn one and all about relying on any advice given by their staff.
- P35 and Service Company questions 76 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 172 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 73 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 361 14
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 157 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 121 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 106 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,572 12
- Companies House incorporation service 277 11
- Share Capital 83 2
- Trading income or not? 146 1
- Charge HMRC 367 3
- FRS17 query 224 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,753 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,613 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 561 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 281 2
- How to opt out? 407 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 97 1
- utr 192 4
- Xtuple 542
- Qtac payroll for bureau 372
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 314
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 285
- CIS schemes 217
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 178
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176