Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 379 9
- Entrepeneurs relief 372 16
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 74 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 466 23
- Potentially dodgy client 122 2
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 414 13
- Do I need to pay my accountant 510 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 179 6
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 201 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 312 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 623 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 133 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 531 27
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 237 5
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 163 3
- Lloyds bank ... 449 6
- Limited company buying a car 245 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 497 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 295 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 314 4
- CTA study material 776
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 407
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 287
- Expat pension contributions? 266
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 242
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 193
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149