Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- Very large share capital by mistake 376 6
- 24 month rule and expenses 150 1
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 368 3
- Love is in the air 440 6
- Setting up a practice 204 3
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 637 17
- Stamp Duty 282 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 225 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,772 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 483 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 181 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 254 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,013 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 555 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 565 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 338 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 385 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 437 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 462 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 287 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 282
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 274
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 237
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 194