Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- transitioning payroll 209 7
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 83 2
- dividend proposals 55 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 210 2
- Deduction from Salary 272 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 170 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,690 60
- Dividend dates 535 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 72 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 426 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 153 2
- 12 Pay Problems 242 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 234 3
- Sole properietor 120 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 77 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 475 13
- VAT - Recharge 92 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 352 4
- Legal title not in the company name 231 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 308
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 280
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 172