Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 116 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 97 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 759 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 398 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,449 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 183 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 467 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 135 3
- What would you do in this situation? 211 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 157 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 624 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 656 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 117 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 356 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 254 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 425 6
- NOVA 559 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 289 10
- Regional Development Grant 137 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 386
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 299
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 196
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 166
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 134