Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- missing 748 15
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,621 52
- Incorporation with pending court case 121 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 644 22
- Know it alls (who don't) 739 18
- Reposted question 58 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 252 7
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 263 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 183 3
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 354 17
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 141 3
- VAT on motor expenses 976 36
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 523 11
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 101 3
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 256 4
- Share swap 454 17
- CIS Deductions 151 6
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,858 28
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 472 14
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 879 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,567
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 865
- International interest certificate 477
- NOVA 333
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 244
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 220
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 211
- Help with tax codes on Sage 166
- Capital reduction 157