Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- Great Service 1,253 17
- Keytime 320 4
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 128 2
- About your hairdresser clients 529 21
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 90 2
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,590 29
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 133 1
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 132 2
- Transferring Shares From Manx Co to Cayman Island Co 135 3
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 762 13
- How does one compete? 681 8
- Trust setting on HMRC CT600 131 4
- Employee tears suit... 251 3
- PAYE & NIC 766 35
- Related party not trading -should debt be written off ? 87 1
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 493 16
- £NIL EPS's wiping out CIS deductions 286 4
- When was the requirement for Ltd. company to have at least two shareholders abolished? 238 5
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 745 9
- Sports Club and Partial Exemption for VAT 194 1
- Sanzar 530
- Digital marketing focus group 412
- Sainsbury's mangement 380
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 379
- Continuity Agreement 354
- Avanti Accounts 353
- Buyback 306
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 254
- Aggresive sales from Iris 249
- Charity volunteers and mileage 210