Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 62 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,134 33
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 154 6
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,312 19
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 746 12
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 43 1
- How much of your work is admin? 508 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 167 8
- Goodwill complications 204 3
- Late Registration for VAT 245 8
- Registering a company late 382 13
- Claiming pre-letting mortgage costs on first rental property 101 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 125 1
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 163 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 124 1
- Personal pension 300 5
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 160 2
- Director taking salary, dividends and consultancy fees? 258 1
- Deferred Tax 299 5
- Legal fees selling rental property 216 3
- TheTax Donut 1,026
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 682
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 625
- Follower cases 489
- Limited company purchase of property 421
- Hive up 418
- corporate hierarchy 383
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 380
- LIVE chat, starting now 334
- AIA or IFA 224