Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 436 9
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,974 39
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,320 17
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,589 23
- VAT & capitalising 117 3
- Final year's accounts 144 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 259 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 290 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 823 21
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 308 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 234 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 134 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,972 36
- Invoice Help 246 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 177 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 249 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 236 3
- Sorry ignore me 907 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 588 5
- Free Shares ? 251 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 193
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 191
- Probiz 178
- Married woman dies owning marital home 168
- What's the market like for temps? 166