Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- BVI registered 161 4
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,338 23
- Closing a limited company 381 6
- Self assessment for directors 152 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 272 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,608 17
- A little knowledge 373 6
- Digita in the cloud 161 2
- Tax relief when working away 82 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 969 36
- Tax relief when working away 186 3
- Designated sole Residence 248 5
- Scratch Head 348 1
- Year end 270 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 324 13
- Clothing 640 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 174 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 204 5
- Identity check problem 1,522 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 273 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 965
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 688
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 612
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 451
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 267
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 229
- Sabbatical payments 227
- Negligible Value Claim 207