Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- Cash basis 178 7
- Statutory sick pay 55 2
- Undeclared rental income 1,660 17
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,841 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,138 12
- Lorry Drivers 326 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 216 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,449 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 104 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 270 3
- PRR 574 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 202 2
- Partially exempt? 311 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 249 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 553 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 119 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 244 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 211 4
- Money laundering POCA 385 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 109 1
- Skandia using wrong address 525
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 286
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 286
- Employee rewards 277
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 246
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 241
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 230
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 139