Option to tax
I have a client who purchased business premises 11 years ago and had to pay VAT thereon, which of course he reclaimed.
About 4 years ago he incorporated but the premises remained in his own name. He transferred his VAT reg. to the new company as a going concern and nobody, myself included, gave a thought to the property VAT reclaimed.
Now he's wondering what will happen should he retire and sell the business. He cannot charge VAT himself as he's not registered and presumably nor should the company 'cos it doesn't belong to them. If VAT has to be charged then presumably the buyer will simply reclaim it.
Maybe the VAT should have been repaid when he deregistered ? Bit late for that now, but otherwise would the company just charge VAT on the sale ? I seem to recall that there's something saying that 'option to tax' VAT does not have to be repaid when somebody deregisters after 15 years; this may have a bearing.
Any thoughts would be welcome !
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 386 6
- IHT dilemma 1,140 17
- Tax return software for remote working 208 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 328 7
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,174 19
- CGT 318 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 303 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 95 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 254 5
- Compliance check 485 13
- sole trader accountant 747 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 387 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 598 21
- More AE! 478 11
- How to classify an asset 138 3
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 269 2
- when a charity makes a donation.... 171 4
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 117 2
- Statement of turnover template 181 4
- CGT 114 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,068
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 776
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 456
- Digita Hosted Software 277
- Call Centre Data Costs 246
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 212
- Credit where credit's due....... 203
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 196
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 180
- Director phone costs 138