Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 138 1
- Auto enrolment 416 8
- Audacity 909 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 381 7
- Late registration for MOSS 234 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 355 8
- Revaluation of Brands etc 264 5
- Self employed care worker 470 10
- Client right to working papers 305 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 533 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 329 4
- Professional Clearance 1,040 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 264 5
- Illegal share transfer 445 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 167 2
- Company Strike off 1,832 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,124 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 391 3
- Estate admin practicalities 221 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,499 23
- NHS finance professionals 532
- VAL231 407
- Mother and son property ownership 373
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 358
- Foreign Pension Contribution 331
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 304
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- vat gross profit percentage margins 270
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 255
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 223