Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Auto enrolment 162 2
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 111 3
- Registration as self-employed 163 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,054 15
- Corporation Tax Software 407 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 90 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 676 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 108 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 164 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 117 4
- Regular Director bonus 454 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 154 1
- BrightPay 1,100 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 546 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 372 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,126 17
- BIK for an electric car 172 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,642 90
- How do I save face? 2,413 14
- Goodie bag 3,128 72
- Possible Partnership? 698
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 539
- Fuming! 523
- New Fangled Penalties 468
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 337
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 279
- Moving away from CCH software 268
- Outsource Data Entry 259
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 259
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 210