Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- CIS 18 1
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 310 4
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 95 5
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 128 4
- Penalties for non-filing of EC Sales List 115 2
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,071 21
- PAYE 46 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,662 352
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 68 2
- Mutual trading organisation paying tax for the first time 74 3
- VAT on Pub Kitchen Franchise 92 2
- Sportman claiming for training kit 259 7
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 500 10
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 91 2
- Complicated freehold purchase and CA 101 1
- Declined for business bank account 788 10
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 263 3
- Vat on Royalites 139 2
- Accounting for share for share 126 6
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,417 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,200
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 415
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- National Insurance 316
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 267
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 263
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 241
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 231
- Franchise income and costs 214