Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- What is IRIS World like? 318 8
- Pension contributions 337 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 79 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,333 18
- The stupidity continues 181 4
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 110 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 453 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 143 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 442 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 254 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 244 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 195 1
- Share transfer question 318 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 545 10
- New Employers Helpline 147 3
- Overlap relief 733 19
- Budget 2015 - take two 209 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 197 4
- VAT Query 204 2
- Sacked my first client 698 14
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 431
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 423
- WIP Software 289
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 220
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 192
- Small Part Disposal of Property 173