Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- HMRC property income enquiry 366 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 273 4
- Merry Christmas 75 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 63 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,049 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 403 13
- Childcare vouchers 339 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,410 9
- Using home as clients registered address 122 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 515 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 104 2
- How much does the company pay 702 30
- AIA 286 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 174 5
- I have done a terrible thing 782 15
- Not paying accountant 1,874 46
- Cash basis VAT return 105 1
- VAT on Business Premises 104 2
- Consolidation Software 146 2
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,214 32
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 468
- Advice - 320
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 272
- WWOOFers 261
- The booking.com con 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 237
- Cocaine anyone? 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176