Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 196 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 728 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 807 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 475 10
- Real time 197 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 417 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 259 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 244 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 231 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 609 15
- When to top-up pensions? 197 2
- Support / ticketing software 335 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 334 3
- Imported goods and VAT 155 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 444 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 598 11
- Stamp Duty 197 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,869 22
- Company Number 10000000 1,004 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 373 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 473
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 245
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 218
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 213
- Just checking re PSA 197
- Capital Gains personal representatives 195
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 179