Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,319 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 260 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 851 18
- NALS Accountants Report 96 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,466 35
- Legal title not in the company name 265 10
- Dividend dates 559 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 121 3
- Sole properietor 166 4
- transitioning payroll 234 8
- dividend proposals 103 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 231 2
- Deduction from Salary 295 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 189 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,723 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 87 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 436 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 158 2
- 12 Pay Problems 253 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 88 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 623
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 231
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175