Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 274 7
- Fee base v staff ratio 464 7
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 132 4
- payroll software 429 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 230 13
- Cash basis 560 14
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 52 1
- Complicated Company car purchase 251 3
- Statutory sick pay 350 5
- client threatening legal action 2,150 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 148 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 196 1
- Instant CPD offer 312 3
- Income from rent charged to business 189 2
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 464 5
- Dividend in specie 382 9
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 192 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 154 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 287 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 305 1
- Skandia using wrong address 586
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 314
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 313
- Employee rewards 295
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 264
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 232
- Etax Australian 194
- LLP in Construction Industry 159
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 136
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 135