Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 700 18
- B2B vat in the EU 160 4
- Coding Notice 193 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 86 1
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 367 9
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 183 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 208 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 166 4
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 160 3
- LLP as member of LLP 117 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,777 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 481 7
- Vat 288 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,289 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 199 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 179 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,502 18
- CT/CIS offset 156 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 211 4
- Trade name 212 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 832
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 713
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 396
- Social investment tax relief 211
- Digita Hosted Software 207
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 167
- Travel costs and contractors 160
- accounting for this transaction 155
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 154