Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Limited company buying director's car 17 2
- Historical figures for WTC 24 1
- Dress code 1,352 30
- Entrepeneurs relief 131 8
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 67 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 105 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,247 14
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 127 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 407 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,108 16
- Scottish Independance 616 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 100 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 247 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 417 6
- WC's and capital allowances 89 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 235 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 858 10
- carry back of gift aid 121 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 133 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 395 17
- CTA study material 753
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 466
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 355
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 243
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 144
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140