Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 20 2
- Refusing to complete a tax return 159 8
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 378 13
- What sectors to target? 256 10
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 136 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 860 31
- IHT and cash gifts 153 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 699 32
- Practice management 199 3
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 360 1
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 425 4
- Flat Conversion Allowance 83 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 249 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 96 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 171 7
- Clothing 261 4
- VAT registration transfer 173 3
- Sponsorship & VAT 112 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 168 2
- Director drawings 453 31
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 910
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 620
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 583
- Latest phishing scam 545
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 383
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 285
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 206
- Capital allowances in first basis period 194
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 161