Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- AIA/Capital Allowances 147 4
- RTI and Advances to Employees 325 7
- Selling to USA, Delivery to Poland, VAT? 71 1
- HELP CT Return filed but doesnt match up HMRC's AP 173 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,648 23
- International VAT 90 2
- CTA 178 2
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 598 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 692 21
- Insurance payout 100 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 520 11
- RTI / P11d 151 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,097 21
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 274 9
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 372 3
- No more tax returns... 1,217 11
- Company Share Buy Back 282 7
- Sage 200 question 186 3
- P11d query 199 3
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 359 5