Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Secondment expenses 26 1
- How often can you change VAT scheme in a year? 14 1
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 295 17
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 92 5
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,726 12
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 350 2
- VAT Option to tax 361 8
- Sage payroll 650 14
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 267 3
- Client has been fined by HMRC 818 18
- LLP members share of profits 470 27
- Consortium relief and bad debts 85 4
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,064 22
- Entrepreneurs Relief 114 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,051 17
- Laptop purchase 1,591 21
- CVA guidance 112 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 120 1
- Total cost of employment 296 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 275 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 893
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 627
- Free Tax Legislation? 385
- Director Loan account operation 382
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 308
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 307
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 279
- Paye procedures for CVA 210
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 207
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 163