Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 125 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 76 4
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 31 1
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,613 25
- Share swap 263 7
- EC sales list and reverse charge 74 2
- Converting a barn for business use 58 1
- Was I rude 640 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 185 9
- Online filing 96 4
- Threshold for RTI submission 87 2
- Joint rental income 74 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 299 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 120 4
- Auto enrolment 375 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 321 3
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 93 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 178 2
- Top slicing relief question no 2 143 3
- Maternity Pay 158 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 802
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 380
- NOVA 277
- IRIS Open Books problem 273
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 189
- Expenses claim for non employee 180