Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 57 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 339 15
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 556 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 70 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 121 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 327 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 529 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 267 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,379 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 247 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 107 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 297 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 537 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 865 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 167 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 839
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 508
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 319
- How to format a stock book 289
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 182
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181