Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- ACCA practice certificates 44 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 181 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,080 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 158 2
- What would you do in this situation? 680 14
- Dress code 501 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 517 16
- Project being run jointly 212 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 615 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 373 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 738 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 431 10
- directors control and tax problems 320 5
- Fastest Software 812 13
- What's in a name ? 413 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 328 4
- Bulk Invoicing 198 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 196 3
- CTA study material 717
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 441
- Employment related securities question 276
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 264
- AIM Stocks and IHT 254
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 206
- Trust for Employee 205
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 185