Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- Enforcing A CCJ 185 5
- reporting salary? 50 1
- Multiple PAYE Schemes 101 2
- Childcare Vouchers 128 2
- Sale of shares and ER 88 3
- Quarterly PAYE 55 1
- Value pricing 459 15
- SDLT - transfer of land into newco 116 4
- Personal Service Company 96 2
- Employment Allowance - Doctors Private Secretaries 98 1
- SA Return issued after P800 received 120 5
- More than one Employment Allowance ? 122 1
- Auto enrolment 267 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,192 25
- Sage Payroll 193 8
- Laptop purchase 1,173 19
- VAT on Gaming Machines 245 1
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 143 3
- VAT 103 1
- Auto enrolment 339 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 753
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 513
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 384
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 361
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 271
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 209
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 209
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 192
- Director Loan account operation 183
- vat return 156