Organisation of Practice computer records
I'm expecting to officially take over our practice in the next few months with a shiny new practising certificate and knowing that, at some point, the dreaded Quality Check Visit is likely to happen (but should not be feared) I am planning ahead.....
The current organisation and systems in the office work but I know without a doubt that things should be improved as whilst we know where things are stored etc in the "run over by a bus" scenario then the fresh face picking up the pieces would not necessarily instantly follow the logic.
I know we could invest in the complete Iris package but it is prohibitively expensive for us at present.
Step one then... better organise the data files on the server better - we have a system that has grown organically since the mid 90s and it's time for an overhaul.
We are a small firm with around 300 clients at present so the initial plan is to have two main folders - Client Records and Practice Records.
Each client folder would then contain sub-folders - Permanent (money laundering docs, Letter of engagement, Company Statutory Docs etc), Accounts, Bookkeeping, Tax Returns, Correspondence, and then where applicable PAYE, VAT and Sundry.
So firstly are any obvious folder titles missing? The worse scenario is set up 300 client folders on the server and then discover we have forgotten one sub-folder ...
Next, emails. I have read that this is now a common point picked up on visits but how do you all manage this?
Do you just use sub-folders in Outlook or physically open and save them in, say, the client correspondence sub-folder.
Advice from those that have done it and been quality controlled / wrist slapped and quality repaired would be appreciated!
- FRSSE 2015 AND AMORTISATION OF GOODWILL 49 1
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 213 2
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 286 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 59 2
- Going through security 351 8
- Another AE question 119 1
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 378 11
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 255 11
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 558 19
- Tax efficient vehicle 514 10
- Retail business software/accounting system 159 3
- AIA for private hire cars, self-employed licensed private hire vehicle / driver 180 5
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 379 11
- CTA Material 193 1
- Business only use of company car 330 11
- Web site and client access area advice 208 1
- Car or Van 388 9
- Dividend Tax Petition 396 5
- Buying a business premises in a pension 238 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 191 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 250
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 226
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 214
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 201
- Expenses Software 181
- Any thoughts on Capium? 172
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 166
- Car Capital Contribution 147
- How to account for investment in JV? 145