Overpayment claim - Trust - dilema
We have taken over a trust client where for income tax purposes the trust has reported income of £x over the past 10 years as an IIP.
On reading of the trust deed and after consulting counsel it is clear that the trust is discretionary and income should have been reported as such.
The trustees now have a liability to consider of say £200,000, plus interest.
On the other side, the beneficary would be entitled to a repayment of £150,000 during the same period.
Q, if we admit the error on the trust side will HMRC automatically allow an overpayment to the beneficiary on the basis that we are comparing like with like with one error. Or will the strict overpayment relief of 4 years be adhered to ?
- CGT on transfer of property 296 18
- The stupidity continues 2,352 101
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 50 2
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 47 1
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 907 18
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 197 8
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 60 1
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 143 2
- Excel file Corrupted 140 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 174 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 117 1
- Marketing and email surprises 511 10
- Cis refund for company 177 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 433 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 140 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 233 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,490 27
- PRR and Letting relief 133 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 179 2
- Capital Event? 161 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 459
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 451
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 253
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 234
- Is there anything wrong with this? 230
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203