Overpayment claim - Trust - dilema
We have taken over a trust client where for income tax purposes the trust has reported income of £x over the past 10 years as an IIP.
On reading of the trust deed and after consulting counsel it is clear that the trust is discretionary and income should have been reported as such.
The trustees now have a liability to consider of say £200,000, plus interest.
On the other side, the beneficary would be entitled to a repayment of £150,000 during the same period.
Q, if we admit the error on the trust side will HMRC automatically allow an overpayment to the beneficiary on the basis that we are comparing like with like with one error. Or will the strict overpayment relief of 4 years be adhered to ?
- Freelance software consultant 313 5
- client can't/won't pay 250 11
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 63 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,122 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 84 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 205 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 128 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 203 6
- losses carried forward 360 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 463 22
- Auto enrolment 1,617 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 207 8
- VT 344 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 696 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 149 2
- Ongoing trade? 239 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 293 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 897 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 151 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 734 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 778
- Copy Wanted 489
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 452
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 450
- Latest phishing scam 279
- Entrepreneurs' relief 264
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 260
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 243
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 230
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 226