Overpayment claim - Trust - dilema
We have taken over a trust client where for income tax purposes the trust has reported income of £x over the past 10 years as an IIP.
On reading of the trust deed and after consulting counsel it is clear that the trust is discretionary and income should have been reported as such.
The trustees now have a liability to consider of say £200,000, plus interest.
On the other side, the beneficary would be entitled to a repayment of £150,000 during the same period.
Q, if we admit the error on the trust side will HMRC automatically allow an overpayment to the beneficiary on the basis that we are comparing like with like with one error. Or will the strict overpayment relief of 4 years be adhered to ?
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 238 7
- Directors loan accounts 367 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 306 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 249 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 101 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 164 1
- Employed clients and expenses 792 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,032 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 695 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 892 34
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,098 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 499 18
- I.d for vat registration 269 10
- Bookkeping software 900 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 286 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 251 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 344 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,826 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 124 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 156 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 539
- NOVA 488
- Bonus Bonds 374
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 353
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 274
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 156
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 140
- Finance Lease 139