Overpayment claim - Trust - dilema
We have taken over a trust client where for income tax purposes the trust has reported income of £x over the past 10 years as an IIP.
On reading of the trust deed and after consulting counsel it is clear that the trust is discretionary and income should have been reported as such.
The trustees now have a liability to consider of say £200,000, plus interest.
On the other side, the beneficary would be entitled to a repayment of £150,000 during the same period.
Q, if we admit the error on the trust side will HMRC automatically allow an overpayment to the beneficiary on the basis that we are comparing like with like with one error. Or will the strict overpayment relief of 4 years be adhered to ?
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,623 23
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 91 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 75 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 241 6
- Companies House 282 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 99 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 99 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 329 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 108 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 211 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 665 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 652 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 139 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 672 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 486 5
- SA tax assessments 169 2
- Director self assessment 407 16
- Sage Import Data 179 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 240 2
- Dividend Vouchers 288 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 432
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 289
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 243
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 218
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 212
- Slight twist on employment related securities 197
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 146
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 142