I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 246 9
- LLP - Member leaving 141 6
- what time is it ? 72 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 255 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,053 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 668 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 222 4
- Year end 157 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 572 21
- How would you account for warranty? 156 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 397 22
- Sweet Tooth 185 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 179 2
- trading or dormant 117 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 124 1
- tax credits 137 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 570 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 276 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 123 1
- Foreign income for self employed 139 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 877
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 518
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 331
- How to format a stock book 312
- Tax efficient holding company structure 245
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 241
- Investment property company accounts template 226
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 219
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 192
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 166