I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 63 1
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 226 6
- Client's company struck off 379 9
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 83 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 93 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 629 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 144 3
- Investment property? 42 2
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 84 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,487 23
- Sole Trader Cessation 125 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 320 6
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 70 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 118 4
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 395 9
- Overtime etc for PT employees 85 1
- First Choice Final Accounts 230 1
- Complex VAT Group 320 6
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 89 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 322 1
- QROP pension input amounts 468
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 412
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 407
- fraud 329
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- EPS and CIS deductions 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 193
- SAGE winforecast 166
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 164