I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 625 5
- See you all on the other side 681 6
- 12Pay 445 2
- dividends 599 2
- R&D 312 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,172 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 436 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 398 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 369 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 539 5
- Seeking a tax case 637 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 502 4
- Companies house strike off 535 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 417 2
- Moving to the cloud 737 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 215 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 894 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 207 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,090 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 489 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 323
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 296
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 289
- Marginal rates of tax 281
- Class 2 NI 268