I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Sage 2010 data corruption 84 4
- Sage at it again? 336 5
- BrightPay 499 13
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 160 5
- Is this a scam? 1,560 27
- Classic cars investment 119 2
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 683 19
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 133 5
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 390 6
- S455 453 21
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 470 12
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 163 3
- client issues 310 4
- Cater Allen Commission 84 2
- Capital Gain? 354 9
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 175 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 66 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 192 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 190 5
- RTI - new employee 126 2
- Benchmarking 465
- Possible Partnership? 414
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 401
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 385
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 329
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 192
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 176
- Income tax on foreign dividends 171
- Clubs and Taxable Income 168
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 162