I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 458 9
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 121 8
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 269 8
- Supplier invoice addressed to a different company, how is this treated for VAT? 113 2
- Moneysoft payroll 218 13
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,399 29
- Computerised Accountancy Software 355 2
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 60 1
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 48 2
- What is the role of an accountant? 998 19
- Need to register for SA? 137 3
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 376 15
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 149 8
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 282 4
- business card address 766 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,863 399
- Time limit 213 4
- Course on trust taxation for qualified ACA? 285 5
- Declined for business bank account 1,004 11
- Benefits in Kind 182 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,246
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 447
- National Insurance 346
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 331
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 263
- Non Resident 262
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 256
- Franchise income and costs 226
- Hands on experience of Digita 171
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 166