I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- client can't/won't pay 1,492 26
- calculate mortgage interest 289 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 678 26
- Directors NIC's 121 5
- Advice on letting a client go ? 548 9
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 53 1
- Entrepreneurs relief 135 2
- Declaration of interest 181 7
- Do we have to register for VAT? 399 8
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 231 6
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 80 1
- White van man 823 27
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 137 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 143 4
- Reclaiming VAT on unpaid invoices 95 3
- Unbelievable!! 745 6
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 384 1
- Receipt bank 296 6
- blank - ignore 455 7
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 55 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 872
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 567
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 533
- Latest phishing scam 462
- Entrepreneurs' relief 411
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 335
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 239
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 219
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 162