I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 211 6
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 208 9
- change of office address 203 6
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 269 6
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 209 3
- Furniture Rental Business 154 4
- Solicitor accounts 190 5
- Real names 1,343 41
- Illegal dividends 60 1
- Unallocated client money 304 8
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 167 3
- first year company tax return for a limited company 307 10
- SAGE V12 72 1
- Errors in prior year accounts 699 18
- What are options for non CA firm 1,859 32
- Expenses Apps 186 3
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 349 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 457 8
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 133 1
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 137 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 607
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 497
- Sorry ignore me 393
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 283
- Cancelled 254
- Cancelled 227
- Bartercard 183
- C79 Discrepancy 178
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 167