I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- VAT errors 45 2
- Introduction of Goodwill 560 14
- VAT & Landlords 237 7
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 90 4
- are receipts needed? 387 13
- Professional Clearance 278 9
- Capital reduction 184 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 281 19
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 291 1
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 137 4
- CIC accounts submission 160 4
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 123 5
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 622 21
- New accountant 553 9
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 238 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,093 67
- Working out a daily rate 336 7
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 614 9
- Loss Relief 163 2
- Tax case reference request 251 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,594
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 495
- NOVA 352
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 257
- Management expenses for investment company 244
- Bonus Bonds 243
- Help with tax codes on Sage 188
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 151
- Clogged Losses 151