I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Payment plans for clients 285 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 75 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 192 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 475 14
- Employee steeling client data 119 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,357 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 190 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 133 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 92 1
- CT600 275 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 213 4
- signature required 914 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 193 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 339 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 332 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 157 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 90 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 154 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 98 1
- Lease 149 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 855
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 549
- Credit where credit's due....... 342
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 234
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 191
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 183
- Director's business mileage 152
- Sole trader CPD 146