I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 205 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,161 35
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 134 2
- Dress code 606 15
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 388 3
- What would you do in this situation? 744 15
- Dividend 112 2
- ACCA practice certificates 130 2
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 241 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 544 16
- Project being run jointly 242 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 339 4
- Companies House 633 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 415 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 751 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,481 25
- Help Required 453 10
- directors control and tax problems 365 5
- Fastest Software 819 13
- What's in a name ? 444 5
- CTA study material 721
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 281
- AIM Stocks and IHT 258
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 243
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 224
- Expat pension contributions? 212
- Trust for Employee 208
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 193
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 126