I have a client who was way behind but who has had a long history of illness.
Her tax affairs were brought up to date in November 2011 when Tax Returns for years 2007 to 2010 were filed. The 2007 Return was a paper one. All liabilities were paid or covered from overpayments.
For 2007 interim payments had been made of nearly £800 based on the 2006 liability but the final laibility was nil. A claim was made for overpayment relief and documentary evidence from my client's doctor was submitted to back up her history of illness in support of the claim.
This claim has been ongoing for some time and I have now been informed by HMRC that no claim can be made as HMRC did not issue a formal determination for the 2007 liability so that year is essentially in limbo and no repayment can be made as it was out of date when the original claim was made.
Is this correct?
Is the tax bill for 2007 determined by default even though a formal determination was not made by HMRC?
If HMRC failed to issue a determination can they now say that because they failed to do their job properly our client cannot have a repayment?
In the event of the 2nd scenario is there a default to the old ESC?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,118 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 107 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 168 5
- Redundancy pay 257 7
- Software for Accounts layout 241 4
- Flat Rate VAT 109 4
- VAT Receipts 211 7
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 178 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 97 1
- How to report under-declaration on next VAT100? 94 1
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 167 4
- Company accounts for £350 889 26
- Mandatory Capitalisation 220 3
- Practice software 1,134 16
- A different accounts production software request 181 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,542 16
- Marriage Allowance Transfer 301 9
- new dividend allowance 346 5
- Identity Checks 323 8
- Allowable expenses on retal property 556 14
- FRS 101 Software 319
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 299
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 291
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 268
- French ConnectionUK 233
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 206
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 198
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 177