Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 155 1
- Were you asked to pay to sign off your ACCA PCTR by your Principle? 49 1
- 100% Xero practice 2,124 35
- Vat treatment of charity business income 118 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 877 18
- Company Accounts 139 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,207 343
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 190 6
- Donations (to a school!) 434 11
- Vat on Royalites 87 1
- Umbrella Company 146 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 441 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 85 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 169 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 435 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 181 3
- property rental income split 258 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 469 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 146 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 108 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,189
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 410
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 311
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 239
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 224
- Franchise income and costs 205
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 170