Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Estate agent and VAT registration 168 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 50 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 319 12
- CIC Company 467 4
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 69 1
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 281 5
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 93 1
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 508 8
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,884 48
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 480 10
- Small company audit 267 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 217 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 226 5
- Problem partnership fees 142 1
- Car financed by employee 128 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 133 1
- Undisclosed income 217 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 308 8
- Private Investment Company 147 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 143 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 608
- Cancelled 355
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 289
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 262
- Probiz 249
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 205
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 189
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 189
- Car leasing scheme 188