Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 350 5
- See you all on the other side 552 6
- 12Pay 273 2
- dividends 346 2
- R&D 211 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,079 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 359 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 268 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 227 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 458 5
- Seeking a tax case 499 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 357 4
- Companies house strike off 324 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 259 2
- Moving to the cloud 673 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 189 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 810 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 178 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,036 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 410 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 533
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 404
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 338
- Capitalising Finance Lease 302
- USA help 298
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 267
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 257
- Capital gains on rental property 240
- Sage Coretime 225