Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 165 2
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 31 1
- Settlement discount 202 5
- IT advisory questions? 303 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,558 21
- experian and credit agencies 78 1
- Homing sandwiches 565 13
- Limited company to community interest company 53 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 466 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 210 5
- Error in audited accounts 233 3
- CIS software 133 3
- Pratice Management Software 213 3
- Use of home query 197 2
- signature required 599 22
- Vat registration exception 217 3
- CT600 163 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 224 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 535 9
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 190 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,263
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 836
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 530
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 323
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 249
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 191
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 169
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167