Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Clever way to split cells? 85 3
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 217 9
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 171 3
- VAT Option to tax 524 19
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 152 4
- Director Loan account operation 435 2
- Giving advice to friends / family 216 3
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 497 16
- Tax implications of soletrader gifting money 69 3
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 210 6
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 238 5
- Business travel apps 191 4
- Clarify the tax position 129 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 375 5
- Free Tax Legislation? 435 1
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 376 3
- Foreign national, UK resident 139 1
- Director leaving in month 1 262 5
- Secondment expenses 199 6
- Basic RTI - how to re-enter lost data? 95 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 919
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 646
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 358
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 325
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 202
- Pension Fixed Protection 164
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 163
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 162