Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Helping clients with bookkeeping but not a bookkeeper 745 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,413 20
- Wear & Tear Allowances 309 7
- That old chestnut 359 7
- Supply to Irish State Body 216 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 330 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 293 3
- Non controlling shares - how to set up 248 9
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 244 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 208 4
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 122 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 1,959 35
- IR35 - relationship of WIP 664 6
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 215 3
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 212 2
- Repair or improvement? 435 7
- National Insurance. 162 1
- Trust tax return 173 1
- VAT on land sale 174 6
- Property Development 322 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 406
- CTA study material 360
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 269
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 251
- new capital structure ltd with investors 204
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 200
- Pre incorp expenses 200
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 180
- Slight twist on employment related securities 172
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 155