Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 139 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 118 2
- Personal allowance 412 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 458 12
- Scams are not always obvious 691 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 117 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 121 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 90 3
- Related party disclosures 172 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 181 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 77 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 615 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 231 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 250 8
- Is this legal? 624 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 188 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,992 23
- Cells from many sheets 126 2
- Taxation of rental income 212 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 139 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,042
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 345
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 218
- fraud 216