Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Entrepeneurs relief 155 9
- How to complain about HMRC 1,264 15
- Limited company buying director's car 43 3
- Dress code 1,364 31
- Historical figures for WTC 33 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 72 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 113 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 134 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 411 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,117 16
- Scottish Independance 626 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 103 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 248 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 418 6
- WC's and capital allowances 95 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 246 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 868 10
- carry back of gift aid 124 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 135 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 397 17
- CTA study material 753
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 466
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 356
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 245
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 144
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142