Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Paper 93 6
- Giving investment company to spouse 32 1
- Recommendations for in house accounts prep software? 77 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 365 14
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 238 5
- Xero Pain Points 317 14
- Tainted donation by company 165 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 657 8
- HMRC incompetency 194 1
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 624 10
- HMRC site down ? 249 5
- Tax Codes and VAT 214 3
- The importance of Grammar 1,006 25
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 191 3
- VAT REGISTATIONS 235 5
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,894 65
- Moneysoft - technical query 405 10
- System selection 187 2
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 506 21
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 355 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 303
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 283
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 275
- Electric Car 231
- S222 Charge 204
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 201
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 193
- Company Structure 181