Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 341 10
- Anyone else still working this week? 257 7
- How much does the company pay 399 12
- VAT on Business Premises 18 1
- HMRC property income enquiry 230 6
- I have done a terrible thing 509 13
- LLp Profits 124 5
- Consolidation Software 103 1
- two business from one premises 113 2
- AIA 233 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 323 20
- partnership tax return 142 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 163 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 90 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 297 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,163 27
- s455 tax 135 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 101 1
- Am I getting Soft?? 591 12
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 209 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 499
- corporate hierarchy 464
- Advice - 316
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 265
- WWOOFers 254
- The booking.com con 232
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 232
- Cocaine anyone? 213
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 213
- UK State pension paid in NZ 173