Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 47 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 331 15
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 554 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 65 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 117 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 327 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 527 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 266 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,378 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 246 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 101 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 295 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 536 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 863 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 165 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 838
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 507
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 318
- How to format a stock book 287
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 181
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181