Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,969 45
- Love is in the air 195 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,663 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 363 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 392 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 491 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 144 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 638 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 341 7
- HMRC accounting 275 3
- Employers NI allowance 452 6
- Dividend taxation 273 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 184 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 183 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 166 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 449 4
- iris update 11.9.2 453 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 280 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 275
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 262
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 245
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 233
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 187