Overpayment Relief - is it possible to extend time limits?
A client came to us as he had received a letter from HMRC about the ‘VAT Initiative Campaign’. On review of his tax returns, he has been declaring turnover exceeding the VAT registration threshold since 2005/06 but has never registered for VAT.
We have now dealt with the VAT aspect and the client has paid all VAT he should have paid (plus a 10% penalty) had he been registered from 2005/06.
However, this means that his tax returns are wrong as he has overstated his turnover, but under the new time limits we can only claim overpayment relief from 2008/09.
Is there any way we can get the time limits extended back to 2005/06 given that he is paying over the VAT for the earlier years – it seems really unfair that he can’t claim back the income tax.
I expect it is just tough luck as all I can find is making claims for ‘special relief’ and I believe this is just for HMRC determinations.
- VAT registration 19 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 41 2
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 294 4
- Goodie bag 543 19
- Husband Wife let property 219 6
- Budget 2015 predictions 318 7
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 305 7
- Freehold Property Depreciation 388 16
- How do I save face? 324 7
- Employee invoicing employer 54 1
- Warning - Spam "from" ICAEW 515 3
- brightpay? 117 1
- Director unable to work through illness 131 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 231 6
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 374 8
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 140 2
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 276 1
- Claiming VAT without invoice 412 5
- Directors loan - no longer a director 397 5
- Career in Practice 237 5
- Possible Partnership? 615
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 504
- New Fangled Penalties 419
- Clubs and Taxable Income 339
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 308
- Loans to other companies 250
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 223
- Outsource Data Entry 218
- Fuming! 217