Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,524 71
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,277 19
- HMRC Scam 224 2
- Departments in Sage 50 75 1
- Where has Portia gone? 659 25
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 198 2
- Rogue Accountant 2,811 45
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 318 4
- Capital Gains? 252 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 93 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 68 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 444 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 119 2
- AIA - new period 217 1
- Self assessment question 1,154 48
- Major Works Invoice to Rental Property 372 9
- What is the base cost of this asset for CGT? 264 3
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 853 20
- Dividend Tax Rate 441 8
- Ex Wives Club 542 13
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 771
- RTI - duplicate employee record 504
- Pensions Regulator 438
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 394
- Sanzar 296
- Sage Vat return box 2 296
- Digital marketing focus group 275
- How do you do it 262
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 225
- Report old income 225