Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Just because it's Friday 240 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,349 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 132 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 103 4
- Capital Allowances 136 4
- equipment rental 219 10
- Acquisition by company 101 5
- Non sequitur 527 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,475 23
- R&D on products not sold 97 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 895 13
- Tech Champion of the Year 232 5
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 194 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 638 9
- Transfer of land to family members 86 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 581 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 201 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 220 5
- Pattern for CTA 320 7
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,422 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,363
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 436
- Alphabet shares 237
- Agent fees to sell business 230
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 226
- Charge out rates in London 177
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 167
- which entity 148
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 140