Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 293 5
- US Sales Tax 101 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 355 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 189 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 81 1
- Group Relief 115 4
- R&D Credits 90 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 226 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 88 2
- Clients 661 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 249 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 113 3
- Starting new accounting business 270 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 453 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 87 1
- Sage Payroll 96 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 104 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 424 8
- Tolley UK sales number 211 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 122 2
- QROP pension input amounts 492
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 476
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 438
- EPS and CIS deductions 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 285
- Construction CIS LLP Company 276
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 238
- SAGE winforecast 198
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 190
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182