Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 95 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 229 1
- will this work for IHT 251 2
- Best software for small practice? 636 20
- Paid too much !! 260 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,745 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 264 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 215 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 485 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 126 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 105 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 111 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 480 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 751 11
- Sports Sponsorship 159 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 275 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 214 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 265 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,331 14
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,277 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 769
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 455
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 249
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 192
- Capital Gains personal representatives 182
- Just checking re PSA 175