Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 181 4
- Are HMRC staff on early 437 6
- Start up allowance? 68 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 182 9
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 218 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 39 2
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 803 13
- Late Registration for VAT 263 9
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 81 2
- AIA or IFA 267 2
- CGT and Expenses on Property Rental Business 54 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,163 33
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 191 6
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,337 19
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 73 1
- How much of your work is admin? 545 4
- Goodwill complications 217 3
- Registering a company late 398 13
- Claiming pre-letting mortgage costs on first rental property 114 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 133 1
- TheTax Donut 1,031
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 683
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 626
- Follower cases 490
- Limited company purchase of property 424
- Hive up 420
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 386
- corporate hierarchy 384
- LIVE chat, starting now 336
- Advice - 192