Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 214 10
- Company name change question... 156 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,150 73
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 855 23
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 146 2
- Writing down allowance / AIA 158 6
- What is Tronk System of payroll ? 58 1
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 432 14
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 261 4
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,312 23
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 168 5
- Consolidation IFRS 70 1
- White van man 441 20
- Worried over stock value 225 4
- foreign income 131 2
- Window Comb Binder Cover 309 5
- STUDENT LOAN 114 1
- Bookkeeping question 604 6
- wave software 234 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 364 8
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 834
- Copy Wanted 556
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 512
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 491
- Latest phishing scam 352
- Entrepreneurs' relief 326
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 297
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 286
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 283
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 187