Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- First RTI P45 89 1
- Company Takeover Accounting policies 13 1
- EC VAT registration - place of supply 76 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 109 1
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 146 2
- Gross sales to purchases 130 1
- I know ... 1,235 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 688 18
- Tax on principal private residence 226 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 231 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 254 2
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 236 4
- Personal pension contributions 253 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 324 4
- RTI Filing 951 20
- Staff entertaining or not? 264 3
- Sole Trader Start Up- Employment Help 400 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 216 4
- IR35 and working for an EU company 134 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 459 21
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 703
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 471
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 309
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 280
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 247
- growth voucher supplier 224
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 189
- VAT on Gaming Machines 170
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 159
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 156