Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Freehold Property Depreciation 323 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 85 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 587 2
- Relevant life plan 121 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 239 4
- Non domicile swiss bank 40 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 397 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 115 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 195 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 199 7
- Limited Company expenses 205 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 292 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 289 5
- Software recommendations? 236 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 121 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 333 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 563 16
- Shares paid - petty cash 217 4
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 179 5
- Charity accounting 188 5
- Possible Partnership? 573
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 491
- New Fangled Penalties 375
- Clubs and Taxable Income 308
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 231
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 196
- Outsource Data Entry 188
- Moving away from CCH software 172