Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 524 4
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 268 5
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 271 10
- Interest relief before property is rented out 129 2
- Dividend 330 6
- FRS and Debtors 155 2
- What's in a name ? 540 6
- Helping out a friend 432 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 227 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 410 5
- ACCA practice certificates 328 4
- Dress code 852 21
- How much did you pay for your website 1,553 26
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,275 36
- Umbrella Companies 261 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 173 2
- What would you do in this situation? 817 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 325 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 596 16
- Project being run jointly 264 3
- CTA study material 736
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 457
- Employment related securities question 294
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 292
- AIM Stocks and IHT 265
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 222
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 213
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139