Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 204 7
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 35 1
- Dividend payment date 1,889 33
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,714 18
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 131 2
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 138 5
- Director hired as an individual 82 2
- Real names 539 20
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 109 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,289 27
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 98 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 214 2
- Tax relief on licence costs 125 1
- Who owns the data 238 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 166 5
- Sole Trader Fees 121 1
- Loan interest rental property 197 5
- Theatre as charitable company 53 1
- Peer to Peer lending 147 5
- What's the plural? 683 14
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 569
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 434
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 337
- IFA incorporation 315
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 301
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 297
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 252
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 240
- Sorry ignore me 234
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 234