Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- flat rate scheme 2,332 48
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 105 4
- Family Partnership 250 7
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 316 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 122 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 56 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 172 4
- Signed accounts for bank 642 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 831 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 292 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 171 5
- VAT Query on new build 106 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 140 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 146 4
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 93 1
- P11D Car Value 259 6
- NOVA declaration 104 1
- Business valuation advice 709 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,509 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,227 23