Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Invoicing for monthly clients 173 4
- Tax - Paying Yearly 379 14
- Flat rate start date issue 91 1
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 297 6
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 528 7
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 234 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 283 5
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 663 26
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 218 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 256 3
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 346 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 216 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 201 1
- charities 236 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 287 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 152 1
- converting garage to use as office 360 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 668 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 146 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,245 11
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 381
- Any thoughts on Capium? 347
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 296
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 271
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 232
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 179
- French ConnectionUK 175
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 166
- APN's 160