Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 252 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 28 1
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 599 8
- When to leave the VAT FRS 111 6
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 964 17
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 201 2
- Employment Support Allowance fraud 234 5
- Direct debit entry query 58 2
- Use of home query 368 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 269 7
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 530 11
- CIS software 185 5
- signature required 742 28
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 142 4
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,057 14
- Client handover 297 6
- format cell to exclude decimals 217 13
- Homing sandwiches 714 16
- Use of home Directors 114 1
- National insurance on an overseas employess 108 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,282
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 843
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 534
- Digita Hosted Software 349
- Credit where credit's due....... 325
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 250
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 212
- TheTax Donut 206
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 173
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 153