Overseas Holiday Home
About 7 or 6 years ago my wife and I jointly bought a property in Spain for about £120,000.
We funded it from the sale of another UK property, on which no CGT was payable, due to PPR and other reliefs: and by increasing our mortgage on our current UK residence.
I have always contended that the interest on the extra loan will be deductible from the letting income to arrive at the profits or losses on renting the overseas property because that borrowing was taken out for the purposes of acquiring the foreign property.
The costs, (service charges, cleaning, water, electricity, local taxes, TV, mortgage, etc), were always greater than the income: and to avoid accounting and tax costs and hassle, we decided not claim the losses arising - about £2,000 - £3,000 p.a. Even when the "amnesty" for overseas assets was in place, our approach did not amount to any loss to the Revenue, so we let it pass. During that time one of us paid higher rate tax but the other just about paid basic rate and no more.
However, last year it probably broke even and this year it will make a small profit, maybe £2,000: and to complicate matters, the higher rate tax payer has become unemployed. So, I am beginning to think about what to do, if this profitable run continues.
Capital values have not increased much but the property is worth about £150,000 now. We intend to keep the property for several years yet as we hope to spend some retirement days there.
Have we already fouled up? What do you think we should do?
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 138 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 217 9
- How to Value a Business 473 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 133 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 541 13
- How much did you pay for your website 481 13
- Companies House 138 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 113 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 381 7
- Company Pension Contributions 260 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 218 4
- Expenses allowable 170 3
- Let Property Campaign 386 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 135 1
- Self employment trap - pension 347 3
- Awkward IP 612 9
- ESC A19 130 2
- When does my Property business start 269 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,537 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 868 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 593
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 366
- Employment related securities question 224
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 199
- ATED Penalties 196
- AIM Stocks and IHT 176
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 135
- Expat pension contributions? 127
- Trust for Employee 125