P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Do you lose losses on cessation 322 10
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 94 2
- foreign income 94 1
- SA1 Online 46 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 67 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 79 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 331 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 84 1
- White van man 218 8
- Capital allowances offset rule 103 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 113 4
- Worried over stock value 128 1
- Start of letting business when property owner took lodgers prior to letting out 114 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,295 22
- Mortgage extended on a rental property 115 1
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 197 5
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 165 3
- VAT on leased double cabs 86 1
- Backdate C79? 137 1
- Having a Jan blank moment 206 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 818
- Copy Wanted 542
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 497
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 480
- Latest phishing scam 335
- Entrepreneurs' relief 307
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 271
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 270
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 177