P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Employers NI allowance 267 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 592 7
- Paying Son 331 14
- Which time limits apply? 362 4
- HMRC Discovery powers 168 2
- Client Paperwork Retention? 329 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 128 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 271 3
- Just checking re PSA 236 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 316 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,462 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,508 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 330 2
- Friday Question 570 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 424 8
- Independent Examination work programme 150 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 547 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 302 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 225 7
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 328 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 491
- DTA tie-breaker issue 293
- CGT for NOn UK residents 263
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 254
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 245
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 231
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 191