P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 192 5
- Newly Started Practice 209 6
- Commission on holiday accrual 73 1
- error on companies house accounts 128 4
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 161 2
- HMRC computer behind the times 196 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 110 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 99 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 352 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 238 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 171 2
- Generic Notification Notices 131 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 452 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 118 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 438 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 97 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 247 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 149 1
- fraud 418 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 246 3
- QROP pension input amounts 477
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 441
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 418
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 269
- EPS and CIS deductions 261
- Construction CIS LLP Company 248
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 215
- SAGE winforecast 181
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166