P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 378 17
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 69 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 773 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,469 31
- Is this fraud? 319 5
- Saying goodbye 435 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 825 36
- Tax on private fuel for own car 200 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 995 11
- Flat rate scheme 185 3
- Drop box Storage 202 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 275 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,192 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 622 4
- Furnished lettings criteria 153 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 417 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 152 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 369 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 128 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 205 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,271
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 455
- National Insurance 352
- Non Resident 267
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 261
- Franchise income and costs 240
- Hands on experience of Digita 200
- Employer's Helpline 146
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 140
- employment capital allowances 137