P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,339 32
- Fees 38 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 198 6
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 55 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 222 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 159 2
- Non VAT invoices 61 1
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 214 7
- Form 17 Download 65 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 530 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 363 4
- HMRC Information notice 977 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 259 3
- Accountant Specialization. 361 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,734 42
- Sage Line 50 160 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 167 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 431 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 388 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 158 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 199
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 179
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173
- AIA 171