P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Gift to employee 325 8
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 412 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,091 22
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 45 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 388 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 92 2
- Sage Import Data 280 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 231 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 64 2
- Best time software for small practice? 187 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 308 13
- private to company car? 353 9
- Which address 988 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 88 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 256 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 952 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 251 6
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 465 17
- Vat threshold issues 444 10
- Sale of an investment between group companies 161 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 471
- CTA study material 450
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 323
- Pre incorp expenses 301
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 260
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 248
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 145
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 133
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 128