P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 420 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 250 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 102 2
- Was I rude 786 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 282 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 213 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 288 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 282 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 195 6
- Non-compete agreement 183 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 198 1
- Any views 739 1
- IRIS Practice Management 145 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 108 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 94 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 175 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 309 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 258 1
- Top slicing relief question 237 2
- Valuation of PET on death 124 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,483
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 820
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 421
- Sale of business 395
- NOVA 290
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 203
- Bonus Bonds 176
- Management expenses for investment company 173
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 170