P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Telephone call from "Xero" 405 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 101 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,159 46
- dividend 137 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 100 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 249 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 159 3
- Irish Taxation 135 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 301 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 509 6
- Drector renting room to company 87 1
- Off site storage 146 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 598 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 246 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 348 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 235 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 325 4
- Self assesment losses 319 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 172 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 180 1
- Xtuple 563
- Qtac payroll for bureau 385
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 341
- Domain name sale and limited company 232
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 207
- Investment 204
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 179
- Tax on damages received 179
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 146