P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,481 39
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 162 4
- PITA client 181 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 346 9
- What are options for non CA firm 2,615 56
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,303 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 732 15
- Dividend dates 473 8
- R&D tax credit claim 204 5
- CIS Deductions 268 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 97 1
- is this fraud? 774 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 483 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,520 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 212 5
- Not a good start no broadband 486 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 174 2
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 219 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 90 1
- Intrastat triangulation 74 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 595
- Cancelled 344
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 239
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 180
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 173
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151