P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Non-IR35 contractors and travel, since Autumn Statement 198 1
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 549 11
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 24 1
- property capital gains 235 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 216 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,209 13
- Tips on meals 248 2
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 212 3
- Personal Tax 771 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 260 2
- Stumped - IHT 229 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 427 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 491 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,299 33
- Credit management tools 174 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 794 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 438 7
- CGT and primary residence 206 1
- Marriage Allowance 312 3
- S455 and February year ends 365 7