P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Mortgage Adviser's request 215 6
- Starting Again 166 4
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 693 35
- P11D Software 767 9
- CGT on spouse's death 140 5
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 189 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 245 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 377 10
- Tax relief for networking day out? 401 8
- Payroll software 177 4
- Company UTR numbers 295 6
- Summer house for business only 102 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 100 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 562 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 139 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 137 3
- How do you count your clients 407 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 154 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 114 1
- Proposal to strike off...... 471 9
- Construction CIS LLP Company 592
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 580
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 380
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 280
- Government Gateway - VAT 276
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 245
- RTI - duplicate employee record 238
- Accelerated payment notices 228