P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- Husband Wife let property 204 6
- Budget 2015 predictions 308 7
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 297 7
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 25 1
- Freehold Property Depreciation 384 16
- How do I save face? 302 7
- Employee invoicing employer 40 1
- Goodie bag 518 18
- Warning - Spam "from" ICAEW 512 3
- brightpay? 114 1
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 271 3
- Director unable to work through illness 126 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 229 6
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 371 8
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 136 2
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 275 1
- Claiming VAT without invoice 409 5
- Directors loan - no longer a director 395 5
- Career in Practice 233 5
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 96 2
- Possible Partnership? 613
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 503
- New Fangled Penalties 418
- Clubs and Taxable Income 338
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 307
- Loans to other companies 249
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 233
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 222
- Outsource Data Entry 217
- Fuming! 212