P11d - payments on employers behalf
I'm having a look at some P11d forms and reviewing the HMRC guidence.
Can anyone please point me to the HMRC literature that clarifies what the position is when an employee purchases something for the business on his own personal credit card and is then reimbursed. For example the employee uses his credit card to buy some stationery for £100 and the company then reimburse him.
The HMRC manual 480(2011) Expenses and benefits says on page 11:
Purchases on employer’s behalf
Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer’s behalf.
For example, an employee may buy stamps, stationery and items of equipment for the employer
and be reimbursed the costs incurred from petty cash or by cheque. Such transactions are not
providing the employee with either earnings or expenses because the employee has received no
money of his own. Accordingly such reimbursements do not feature on the P11D.
However I am aware that where these purchases have been made on the employee's credit card (rather than cash or cheque) that they have been reported as expenses with claims then made by the employee for job related expenses. Is this right?
I also believe that travel, subsistence and accommodation have to be reported and are not covered by the paragraph above - is that correct?
I am aware that dispensations can be applied for.
- VAT on garage rent 18 1
- Tasks for new trainees 43 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 25 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 511 14
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 206 7
- Offshore insurance bonds 82 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,624 46
- Property scam victim 282 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 201 5
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 225 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,788 19
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 153 6
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 124 2
- Partnership returns software 75 1
- Personal consumption by landlord 260 2
- Business purchase cost - treatment? 61 1
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 86 1
- company loss, Can he start again?? 151 4
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 134 5
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 245 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,078
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 570
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 381
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 285
- Charge out rates in London? 234
- Interest on Loan to a Company 184
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 171
- Agent fees to sell business 161
- Alphabet shares 157
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 150