P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 767 9
- Tips on meals 532 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,313 15
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 91 4
- S.455 Tax again 429 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 121 3
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 248 7
- Closing down loss-making company 777 15
- Stumped - IHT 595 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 126 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 488 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 391 14
- co-operatives & Societies 110 1
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,217 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,484 40
- Website Content 470 6
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 206 3
- Directors in dispute 214 1
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 742 12
- Incorporated company charity 167 2