P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 184 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 276 4
- Self assesment losses 274 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 151 3
- Off site storage 74 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,069 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 110 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 93 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 523 4
- Joint Property rent 152 3
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 199 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 240 1
- Fee protection 870 16
- Overdrawn DLA 262 9
- Disposal of an opted property 134 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 240 5
- Irish Taxation 97 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,137 31
- CIS monthly declaration 201 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 378 4
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 335
- Industrial & Provident Societies 325
- Domain name sale and limited company 225
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 206
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 204
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 160