P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 777 23
- Selling to USA, Delivery to Poland, VAT? 139 5
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 232 2
- Payment on account reminders 141 2
- Stand alone practice management software 1,756 26
- Allocation of income from property 669 23
- RTI and Advances to Employees 398 10
- CTA 264 3
- AIA/Capital Allowances 363 11
- Anybody got through to VAT today? 53 1
- Time values in Excel 161 3
- No more tax returns... 1,402 12
- bookkeeping system 568 8
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 182 3
- HELP CT Return filed but doesnt match up HMRC's AP 236 6
- International VAT 136 2
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 662 9
- Insurance payout 155 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 541 11
- RTI / P11d 195 2