P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Newsletter 230 5
- RTI Filing 1,744 22
- Would this save hours of your time? 63 1
- Wrong career 53 1
- Fee's for P11D's 289 5
- Agent with HMRC 236 10
- Quarterly PAYE 209 7
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 41 1
- reporting salary? 165 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 315 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 270 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 90 3
- Value pricing 579 19
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 383 1
- Childcare Vouchers 171 3
- Audit Report Query 185 5
- Coming in from the cold 217 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,308 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 95 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 135 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 768
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 522
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 390
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 216
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 216
- Director Loan account operation 204
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 203
- vat return 166
- Free Tax Legislation? 163