P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- UK Subsidiary of Foreign Company 84 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 1,011 31
- Drop Down Boxes 233 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,637 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 150 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 588 8
- help needed with rti paye please 154 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 854 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 419 11
- Can't read my handwriting 815 19
- Undeclared rental income 420 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 345 7
- Sick pay 253 6
- Directors self assessment 177 2
- Employer's Helpline 225 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 137 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 199 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,770 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,100 8
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 152 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,415
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 542
- National Insurance 442
- Non Resident 330
- Hands on experience of Digita 262
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 256
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 169
- Umbrella pay services 145
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 124
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 123