P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Investment properties revaluation 25 1
- Old accountant withholding standing order payments 188 9
- Should I continue with the ACA? 380 9
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 289 10
- How much did you pay for your website 1,081 21
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 374 11
- Benefit fraud 3,312 46
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 349 10
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 118 1
- Intangble Assets 111 1
- Foreign Premium Distributions 198 4
- Companies House 684 5
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 285 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 314 11
- RTI Penalties 191 1
- How to delete of a password protected company? 123 2
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 202 5
- FRS percentage 135 2
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 109 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 276 5
- CTA study material 640
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 385
- Employment related securities question 237
- ATED Penalties 209
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 207
- AIM Stocks and IHT 184
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 152
- Expat pension contributions? 143
- Trust for Employee 137
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 129