P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- The importance of Grammar 1,845 55
- 2 companies, one payroll 202 7
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 75 1
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 594 12
- Freelance/Employee 398 10
- Freehold management company 143 3
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 228 3
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 216 6
- System selection 233 3
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 115 1
- Director Liability 126 2
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 165 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 384 4
- exemptions from CIS 260 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 582 10
- Xero Pain Points 656 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 279 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 253 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,708 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 408 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 356
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 335
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 318
- Electric Car 267
- S222 Charge 231
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 230
- Company Structure 207
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 173
- IP trans to holding company 169