P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- inflation rate year on year 164 4
- Accounts Question 106 5
- Deleted question? 737 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,176 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,943 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 708 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,400 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,928 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 656 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 446 4
- VAT Return Errors 184 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 130 5
- Yorkshire Day 609 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 192 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 183 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 382 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 151 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 296 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 238 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 154 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 377
- Probiz 358
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 262
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 237
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 232
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 153