P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Rollover relief and private use 83 2
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 67 2
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 188 3
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 744 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,799 72
- SAGE con 326 7
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 92 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 455 12
- Which software for practice books? 545 20
- Related Parties Note 696 10
- Dazed & confused 371 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 122 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 152 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 336 7
- trading or dormant 248 6
- Is Hold over relief available? 193 6
- Payroll Liabilities 115 2
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 147 4
- Charity reserves 274 5
- Part-time work - advice please? 167 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,051
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 565
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 374
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 281
- Charge out rates in London? 224
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 218
- Personal consumption by landlord 192
- Interest on Loan to a Company 179
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 160
- Agent fees to sell business 150