P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 144 3
- Company formation and bank account 264 8
- Next Move 519 13
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 654 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,542 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 542 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 395 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 198 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 394 8
- OneNote is fantastic 493 11
- VAT Direct Debit 359 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 442 8
- Self Assessment Software 686 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 436 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,357 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 265 11
- Owning overseas property 250 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 360 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 285 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 696 13
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 656
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 401
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 400
- Property letting & CAs 391
- 2015 tax year end 383
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 383
- FCA regulated company in a small group 339
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 277
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 238
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230