P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Community awards 2014 - first category 132 5
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 56 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 429 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 141 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 296 3
- Payment plans for clients 264 3
- CT600 248 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 311 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 78 1
- Lease 129 4
- Free invoicing software 494 4
- Digita Hosted Software 394 4
- signature required 875 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,315 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 178 5
- Thin Client recomendation 226 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 191 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 174 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 119 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 134 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,302
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 543
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 226
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 173
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 155
- Director's business mileage 145