P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Cash basis 441 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 126 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 257 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 279 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 146 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 294 6
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 148 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,839 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 317 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 226 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 83 1
- Investor exit 186 3
- Partially exempt? 363 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 136 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 400 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,257 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 382 4
- Statutory sick pay 249 3
- Overseas bank interest 229 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 173 1
- Skandia using wrong address 560
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 303
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 300
- Employee rewards 283
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 237
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 221
- Etax Australian 181
- LLP in Construction Industry 146
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 127
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 125