P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Cocaine anyone? 73 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,453 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 795 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 420 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 237 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 306 11
- Tax return software for remote working 459 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 497 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 415 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 440 9
- How to purchase business premises? 140 2
- Will I need to resign? 805 10
- Childcare vouchers 155 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 295 6
- VAT avoidance? 218 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 182 3
- PAYE coding out 178 3
- Follower cases 573 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 451 2
- Hive up 468
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 436
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 214
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 202
- WWOOFers 197
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 175
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 172