P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 384 6
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 181 5
- New Employers Helpline 115 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 210 5
- Overlap relief 712 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,261 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 170 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 177 4
- VAT Query 162 2
- Sacked my first client 622 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 402 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 213 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,259 24
- Share transfer question 253 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 615 11
- Trades and deadlines 133 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,071 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 261 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 226 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 418
- WIP Software 285
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 197
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 196
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 185