P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Accountants' Error 682 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 139 3
- Scoot 170 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 145 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 190 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 659 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,445 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 103 1
- Regaining my qualification 190 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 232 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 217 2
- Auto enrolment 186 3
- Shareholder agreement 168 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 160 3
- Employee Loan 201 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 461 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 588 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 142 1
- Wear and tear allowance 461 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 760
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 521
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 353
- NOVA 258
- Advertising services? 251
- IRIS Open Books problem 241