P46 Car query
I have a client who left a previous employment where they had a company car. Previous employer presumably submitted a P45 online and shortly afterwards client received a new PAYE coding notice, for some reason it assumed that the client still had a company car and medical insurance (even though the letter acknowledged that they were 'between jobs'). In the meantime I submitted a P46 for their new employment in their NewCo assuming that HMRC would then provide a new adjusted PAYE coding notice that excluded any car benefit, as they don't have a company car in the new business.
No new PAYE coding notice has been received.
A few questions:
1. When client left previous employment, should the ex-employer have submitted a P46 Car informing HMRC that the car had been withdrawn?
2. Is it normal for HMRC to assume that the employee takes a company car with them or will have a similar company car at their new job?
3. Whats the best way to rectify this? Moneysoft Payroll does not allow me to submit a P46 Car for a vehicle owned in a previous employment, and the form seems to be designed to be completed by the previous employer, not new employer.
Is it just a case of picking up the phone to HMRC to get this rectified? In the meantime the client will suffer tax deducted as a result of someone else's fault (albeit they will get it refunded one day).
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 301 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 94 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 393 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 333 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 280 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 107 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,814 65
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 908 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 212 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 139 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 198 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 415 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 345 9
- Merging my businesses 174 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,742 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 176 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,069 49
- deceased creditor 223 5
- Corporate member of LLP 289 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 786
- RTI - duplicate employee record 546
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- Portia ... Where art thou 292
- How do you do it 285
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 264