PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 435 7
- private to company car? 125 3
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 203 13
- Buy to let allowable interest 80 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 104 1
- Partner with an IVA 139 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 897 33
- Your fondest calculator memories 529 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 402 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 229 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 205 6
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 296 4
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 331 13
- Consequential loss claim 67 1
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 132 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 240 8
- Sale of an investment between group companies 107 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 403 12
- RTI - EPS - ??? 277 4
- That old chestnut 612 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 449
- CTA study material 412
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 299
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 275
- Pre incorp expenses 266
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 234
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 229
- Slight twist on employment related securities 204
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 176
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 174