PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- Accounting Crew 377 8
- Overdue VAT returns 211 4
- Mathematical conundrum on loan repayments 392 3
- Charges for completing a PAYE Settlement Agreement 358 2
- Benchmark scale rates for subsistance 157 2
- Builder - Roll over relief 299 14
- What's the plural? 401 8
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 325 6
- PII and previous accountant 391 8
- Self Employed travel 249 5
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,693 43
- Use of aliases 560 15
- xbrl accounts and HMRC template help 552 11
- Alphabet Shares - tax implications? 1,479 8
- DISCOUNTED RENT FREE PERIOD 164 2
- VAT - Quidco Cash-back 239 3
- Subsidiary or New Company? 109 2
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 365 3
- VAT on Import goods 158 4
- Sale of Van to a Guernsey company and VAT 126 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 564
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 415
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 318
- IFA incorporation 290
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 277
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 274
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 241
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 229
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 210
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 195