PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 97 3
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 892 10
- Dress code 1,252 29
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 360 4
- Scottish Independance 495 14
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 372 17
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 700 19
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 743 9
- carry back of gift aid 75 1
- How to complain about HMRC 1,039 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 328 8
- NOMINAL CODES 328 4
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 180 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 718 5
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 285 9
- Interest relief before property is rented out 238 4
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 376 7
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 427 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 121 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 253 1
- CTA study material 746
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 462
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 345
- Employment related securities question 298
- AIM Stocks and IHT 274
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 240
- Trust for Employee 227
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 134