PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 345 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,407 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 162 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 432 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 733 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 108 3
- What would you do in this situation? 145 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 136 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 603 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 638 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 88 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 343 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 244 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 392 6
- NOVA 555 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 276 10
- Regional Development Grant 125 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,422 21
- Company car without a salary 236 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 289
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 187
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 179
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 154
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132