PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- Shareholder agreement 111 3
- Tax code for Companies House fees 91 1
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 187 3
- Company Reorganisation 119 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 620 10
- Employee Loan 158 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 445 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 558 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 92 1
- Wear and tear allowance 439 6
- Accountants' Error 591 12
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 333 6
- Buying accountancy practice 619 10
- Paperless office 1,071 7
- Accountant Error 382 6
- Auto enrolment 138 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 407 5
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 278 3
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 254 12
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 279 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,441
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 749
- Any views 684
- HMRC Employers Diary 517
- International interest certificate 419
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 380
- Sale of business 342
- NOVA 250
- Advertising services? 242
- IRIS Open Books problem 235