PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 95 2
- Hmrc software 186 3
- Mehjoo 249 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 182 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 82 1
- SA302 252 4
- Hosted email exchange 168 5
- South African Government Pension 176 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 151 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 259 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 292 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 233 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 142 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 271 7
- New Email Extensions 181 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 303 2
- Dental practice incorpration 145 1
- Audit rules 174 4
- Go Cardless 300 8
- business entertaining deductibility 174 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 342
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 289
- Industrial & Provident Societies 281
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 162
- CIS schemes 159
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 150
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 137