PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- How to? 94 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 110 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 563 19
- New accountant 315 6
- Loss Relief 84 1
- Tax case reference request 161 2
- Working out a daily rate 239 6
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 156 2
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,393 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 479 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 103 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 96 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 205 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 218 5
- are receipts needed? 252 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 469 27
- Sage 50 202 2
- sole trader - operating under cis 240 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,985 65
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 800 28
- Skandia using wrong address 1,582
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 880
- International interest certificate 490
- NOVA 343
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 266
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 252
- Management expenses for investment company 239
- Bonus Bonds 233
- Help with tax codes on Sage 182
- Capital reduction 169