PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,131 21
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 39 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 686 30
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 234 8
- recompense capital input 175 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 102 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 219 2
- CT losses carry back 80 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 544 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 141 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 751 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 414 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,260 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 127 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 183 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 222 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 989 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 201 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 251 5
- Merging my businesses 228 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 562
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 328
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183