PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 176 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 102 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 159 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 97 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 188 2
- CIS Software 116 1
- Company assets 366 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 223 6
- MoneySoft 170 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 79 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 662 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 146 2
- Self assessment 152 1
- Claiming VAT 131 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,124 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 176 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 277 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 272 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 156 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 513 9
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 504
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 479
- Is there anything wrong with this? 281
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 267
- Uncommercial property business 244
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 204
- Registering online CWF1 184
- VAT - registration needed? 181
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 180
- Accrued income scheme 180