PAYE calculation error - post year end
An employee discovers, after all employer year end returns have been filed, that the amount deducted for NIC from his pay is excessive in law. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1) As it was the employer's error, the employee's only redress is to apply for the shortfall from the employer, who in turn then has to attempt to recover from HMRC by an amendment to annual PAYE return.
2) Despite that it was the employer's error, as annual returns have been filed, the employee's only redress is to HMRC who must refund
3) The employee has a choice regarding to whom to apply for the refund, but whichever route is chosen the other party is obliged to stump up.
4) There is no formal mechanism in law for the employee to apply direct to HMRC for the refund but by concession HMRC will (always/usually/offten/sometimes on a whim, delete as applicable) honour the claim.
Finally, does your answer to the above vary if it was income tax rather than NIC? In my experience HMRC will normally accept that PAYE income tax if duly paid albeit incorrectly calculated will generally be accepted as a (potentially repayable) credit against the employee's income tax liability. But is that just by concession?
With kind regards
- FHL - hedge purchase 102 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 522 18
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 267 3
- Fees 469 6
- HMRC Post 581 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 436 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 181 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 443 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 290 3
- www.pool.adzio 164 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 191 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,880 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 286 3
- Transactions with directors 481 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 314 9
- Non VAT invoices 250 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,436 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 281 5
- Form 17 Download 198 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 600 28
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 768
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 420
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 371
- Electric Car 304
- S222 Charge 252
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 215
- IP trans to holding company 197
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 191
- AIA 189
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 183