Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- VAT invoice 22 2
- Anyone done ATT? 49 2
- Free accounts system for small business? 111 5
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,500 52
- Property Revaluation - Postings 28 1
- Vat on motor repairs 82 1
- Received a CIS invoice 141 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 151 4
- saturday staff 238 2
- Electronic v printed payslips 223 4
- Is anyone using micro entity accounts 925 13
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 367 5
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 796 7
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 206 3
- Fee protection 1,015 20
- PPR Sanity Check 110 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 493 3
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 177 2
- Incorporation and goodwill 202 3
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 326 3
- Xtuple 574
- Qtac payroll for bureau 397
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 348
- Domain name sale and limited company 245
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 230
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 219
- Tax on damages received 194
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 189
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 156
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 150