Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- childcare 16 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 58 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,050 45
- Childcare voucher schemes 208 8
- What sectors to target? 503 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 83 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 373 12
- PAYE Control Visit 122 2
- Practice management 315 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 183 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 224 8
- eBay trading 160 3
- Capital allowances on Software 81 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 207 10
- Pension contribution 128 3
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 216 3
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 281 12
- duplicate 194 1
- Self assesment online 788 8
- Refusing to complete a tax return 712 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 918
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 636
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 565
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 395
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 296
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Scratch Head 219
- Capital allowances in first basis period 203
- Sabbatical payments 188