Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- . 184 2
- Freelance/Employee 647 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 189 1
- Accountant Specialization. 251 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 241 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 163 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 163 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 447 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 94 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 594 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 678 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 126 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 184 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 331 6
- Is it just me ... 289 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 289 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 119 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 352 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 222 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,539 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 164