Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 457 10
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,525 45
- CIS Deductions 85 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 333 16
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 803 17
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 43 1
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 175 4
- Share swap 416 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 183 3
- Check my logic on this please? 244 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 78 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 224 6
- Late P45 210 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 576 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 434 13
- CIC accounts submission 96 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 606 20
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 269 11
- What does it mean?? 490 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,175 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 249
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 241
- Management expenses for investment company 224
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 162