Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 331 12
- Cash in Hand 46 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 130 4
- Busines software 120 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 177 6
- Converting a barn for business use 180 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 301 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 305 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 465 10
- are receipts needed? 600 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 282 3
- Bookkeping software 712 7
- Clogged Losses 277 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 258 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 650 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 313 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 264 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 122 1
- General tax book with planning 259 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 195 3
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 519
- NOVA 370
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 318
- Management expenses for investment company 273
- Bonus Bonds 265
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 180
- P11D benefit received by widow 159
- EXACT ONLINE 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 150