Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Self-assessment statistics 2,464 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 197 5
- Transmission of ISA 45 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 171 2
- Next Move 705 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 166 2
- Not renewing AAT 670 9
- CGT of shares gifted 380 6
- New dividend taxation 485 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,794 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 149 1
- Company car v company allowance 275 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 429 9
- Owning overseas property 337 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 290 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 270 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 710 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 720 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 272 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- 2015 tax year end 394
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 319
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204