Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 201 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 47 1
- how do i get UTR 64 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 94 1
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 263 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 75 1
- Your comments please 280 6
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 300 5
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 167 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 92 2
- EIS 187 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 80 2
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 92 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 102 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 102 1
- CGT history of shares 150 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 700 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 194 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 128 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 218 2
- Moving away from CCH software 962
- QROP pension input amounts 448
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 392
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 373
- fraud 295
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 270
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 238
- Construction CIS LLP Company 224
- EPS and CIS deductions 218
- Out of time or not? 202