Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Xerocon 2016 1,056 27
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,197 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 269 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 296 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 622 12
- Personal Tax 528 11
- USA Tax Query 198 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,675 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 952 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 323 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 611 18
- Corrupt Excel File 677 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 358 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,987 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 291 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 427 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 191 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 375 4
- last minute request 537 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,262 46