Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Entrepeneurs relief 117 7
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 62 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 97 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,234 14
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 124 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 406 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,100 16
- Scottish Independance 612 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 97 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 243 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 414 6
- WC's and capital allowances 85 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 234 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 856 10
- carry back of gift aid 121 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 132 3
- Dress code 1,340 29
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 392 17
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 724 19
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 344 8
- CTA study material 752
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 466
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 354
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 243
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 142
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140