Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Bulk Invoicing 153 6
- directors control and tax problems 46 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 164 5
- What would you do in this situation? 489 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 126 3
- Help Required 279 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 222 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 392 14
- What's in a name ? 233 4
- ATED Penalties 260 1
- late second payment on account 153 2
- US royalties 79 2
- Project being run jointly 125 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 177 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 173 3
- Sole trader mix up 290 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 735 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 893 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 210 4
- Filing company accounts 136 1
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 422
- Employment related securities question 264
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 197
- Trust for Employee 184
- Expat pension contributions? 181
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 158
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 117