Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Share transfer question 260 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 398 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 192 5
- New Employers Helpline 122 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 212 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,277 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 179 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 184 4
- VAT Query 173 2
- Sacked my first client 643 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 410 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 218 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,264 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 140 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,075 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 268 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 229 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 419
- WIP Software 287
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187