Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- flat rate scheme 2,433 51
- Importing transactions from VT Cashbook to VT Transaction+ 49 1
- Family Partnership 345 10
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,261 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 88 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 201 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 253 5
- Business lending another business money (UK) 332 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 114 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 340 7
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 222 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 208 6
- Business trips - director and family 439 3
- Signed accounts for bank 693 15
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 339 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 245 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 126 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 887 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 241 5
- VAT Query on new build 147 1