Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,625 67
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 59 2
- Penalties 108 1
- SAGE con 215 4
- rates of pay query 214 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 84 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 135 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 196 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 102 1
- Overpayment relief claim 152 5
- Charity reserves 129 3
- Have i messed up? 664 10
- Year end 358 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 217 3
- Comments on this scenario 94 1
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 103 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 128 4
- loss on carbon credits 110 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 592 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,009
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 547
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 361
- Tax efficient holding company structure 287
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 209
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150