Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,197 268
- Payroll provider 32 3
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 292 5
- business card address 192 5
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 473 23
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 167 6
- Standard 'email' template system 795 13
- Donations (to a school!) 293 10
- Circular shareholding 115 3
- Repairs after a rental business ends 245 7
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 251 1
- Employment related securities question 558 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 939 12
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 254 4
- Expenses of overseas employment 100 1
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 91 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 144 5
- VAT Romania - how to register 206 4
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 511 10
- Beaters and allowable exenses 198 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,099
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 361
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 297
- National Insurance 266
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 237
- Payments on account coded out?? 224
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 217
- Non Resident 180
- Franchise income and costs 173
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 150