Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,123 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 82 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 232 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 133 2
- V T Software 106 2
- Thinning income 324 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 95 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 324 4
- tax credits 220 4
- Past rental expenses 91 1
- What do do about VAT? 522 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 259 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,126 22
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 342 10
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 184 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 198 4
- Audacity 1,316 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 690 8
- partnership first tax return 147 1
- Payroll got out of synch 382 11
- NHS finance professionals 591
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 224
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 192