Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 235 11
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 526 19
- Tax efficient vehicle 500 10
- Retail business software/accounting system 152 3
- AIA for private hire cars, self-employed licensed private hire vehicle / driver 148 5
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 370 11
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 230 3
- CTA Material 182 1
- Going through security 305 6
- Business only use of company car 311 11
- Web site and client access area advice 204 1
- Car or Van 377 9
- Dividend Tax Petition 376 5
- Buying a business premises in a pension 226 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 189 2
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 236 1
- Bank reconciliation 292 8
- Practice software 684 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 353 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 317 5
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 248
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 213
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 201
- Expenses Software 181
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Any thoughts on Capium? 170
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 166
- Car Capital Contribution 146
- How to account for investment in JV? 145