Paying my University Fees from my own company
I am the director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I operate this way because of the idiosyncrasy of my clients. I design software. At the moment, my only income are dividends from the company and, possibly, for this year I will commence as an employee with a very low salary and the rest of my income will be dividend.
I am reading for a PhD in Mathematics which is directly related to the activity of my company. I am enrolled as a part time student. The algorithms and knowledge developed are directly used by the company.
I am trying to find the best way to reflect the connection between company/studies/director and my doubts are:
If the company pays for the fees:
- For the company would be an expense and not taxable in corporate taxes but;
- Is it considered training and development of the director on the benefit of the company? As per http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/1/section/588/enacted. and not be considered benefit in kind...
- could it be considered a benefit in kind for me as director? Although the research directly improves the position of the company in the market and makes it more competitive with better technology and offer.
- If so; would I have to pay tax and NIC over the amount of the fees? and, I understand this tax would be differently treated from the dividends obtained.
- If I pay the fees.
- The fees will not deducted the taxable amount for the company
- I, as director and getting the fees as dividend, pay the corresponding taxes on the fees but no NIC
I believe the best way is the company to pay the fees and that there is reasonable doubt as per transferring the taxation into the director in the founds of benefit in kind, being finally a company expense and not flowing any further but I am not expert.
I have been trying to find information regarding this but not very successfully. I don't think is a scholarship case and the information at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim30001.htm does not apply. (I cannot find the EIM06203 anywhere anyway)
Please, could someone advise?
Many thanks in advance.
- Rental Income Tax Planning 37 2
- What type of Trust? 65 1
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 73 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,681 587
- Dormant Company 89 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,355 160
- Property expense - legal fees 65 1
- Accounting for a VAT Group 85 2
- OBK 108 3
- Research expenses for authors 223 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 761 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 117 2
- Company Loan to associated company 55 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 142 5
- CLG exempt under s60 152 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 176 4
- How to consolidate an LLP? 225 7
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 188 4
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 543 2
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 100 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 452
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Employee rewards 238
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 189
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 184
- Etax Australian 154