Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 179 5
- 27,000 Really? 1,161 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,842 60
- Legal title not in the company name 799 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 349 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 316 8
- Opening Balances 210 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 593 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 129 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 97 1
- This is getting boring 626 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 270 7
- pension paid by company? 127 3
- inheritance tax 432 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 352 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 231 4
- State pension 304 3
- Accountancy Career 150 1
- CIC Company 659 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 642
- Cancelled 396
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 355
- Cancelled 338
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 310
- Probiz 306
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 280
- How not to compose an email 269
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 259
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 224