Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 161 5
- Was I rude 737 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 161 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 148 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 282 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 210 1
- Top slicing relief question 222 2
- Valuation of PET on death 96 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 247 6
- Share swap 286 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 82 1
- Online filing 146 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 326 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,696 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 101 2
- Converting a barn for business use 87 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 234 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 116 2
- Joint rental income 125 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 341 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,474
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 808
- Any views 727
- International interest certificate 444
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 417
- Sale of business 386
- NOVA 280
- IRIS Open Books problem 279
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 195
- Expenses claim for non employee 185