Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 255 6
- tax saving on card points 209 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 887 14
- VAT - How hard is it? 671 24
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 240 9
- Scissors 841 24
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,298 35
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 420 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 432 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 215 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 103 2
- The importance of Grammar 1,242 34
- Profit split from an investment property 104 4
- Xero Pain Points 492 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 320 8
- VAT and Groups 78 2
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,920 13
- VAT & Offshore Companies 215 7
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 450 5
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 313 8
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 367
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 318
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 305
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 292
- Electric Car 248
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 213
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 199
- Company Structure 191
- VAT and customer entertaining 174