Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 16 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 113 5
- FRS percentage 56 2
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 78 2
- How much did you pay for your website 705 14
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 47 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 183 5
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 293 9
- Gross Profit Percentage 501 11
- Companies House 422 8
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 971 23
- can a balancing allowance be claimed if 135 4
- Benefit fraud 3,146 42
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 219 2
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 1,028 16
- Tax return to date of death/R27 138 2
- Preparing a consolidated TB 290 7
- does a hybrid car with CO2 92g/km bought April 2014 480 5
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 250 8
- Medical benefit on low paid wife of director? 153 5
- CTA study material 616
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 381
- Employment related securities question 235
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 204
- ATED Penalties 202
- AIM Stocks and IHT 183
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 143
- Expat pension contributions? 137
- Trust for Employee 133
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 124