Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- Lorry Drivers 311 5
- Cash basis 147 5
- Undeclared rental income 1,572 16
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 199 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,378 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 92 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 263 3
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,081 11
- PRR 567 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 196 2
- Partially exempt? 307 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 247 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 530 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 113 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 239 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 210 4
- Money laundering POCA 382 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 104 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 194 3
- client threatening legal action 2,045 29
- Skandia using wrong address 524
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 286
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 286
- Employee rewards 276
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 246
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 239
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 229
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 138