Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- The Cotter Case 171 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 91 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 125 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 20 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 149 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 150 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 143 1
- Giving a seminar 680 36
- Tax position on lease extension 174 1
- Boffin of the Year 295 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 217 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 235 4
- Sage Depreciation 75 1
- Non sequitur 248 2
- Am i Liable? 875 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 169 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 73 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 475 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,293
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 639
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 422
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 261
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 212
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 169
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 148