Payment of employee personal liability 2010/11
Employee's private bills found recently to have been paid by employer, going back to 2010/11. Just treated as expenses. This point is not in doubt.
1. This should be reported on a P11D, box B - HMRC confirm. And can file 2010/11 via website, apparently.
2. On the paper version of P11D, underneath box B there is a remark about "tax on notional payments not borne by employee within 90 days of receipt of each notional payment". I asked HMRC whether this applies to employee and they said no. I am not convinced, as I believe it is covered by S222 ITEPA. HMRC said employee will get taxed anyway as a result of P11D being submitted, but that is not the point of S222. Can anyone clarify please?
3. As this is NI'able as well, HMRC said would get technician to explain to me in 48 hours. Can't guarantee when and I might not be there anyway. So for NI for 2010/11 I assume P14 would have been wrong and I need to calculate manually the correct figures for P14 and P35 and write to tax office, asking employer to pay the extra NI. Do you agree?
4. As employer genuinely thought this expense was OK it was an unwitting mistake not to put whole thing on payroll, and I assume he can ask employee to repay Ees NI over several months etc. Do you agree?
5. Need to do all this all over again for 2011/12 as there were more payments then.
6. Have advised employee to pay bills himself from now on. Am about to clarify that none of these bills are non taxable. Meanwhile shall I get the payments since 6th April 2012 put on payroll as gross pay retrospectively?
- How much does the company pay 328 9
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 226 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 147 5
- LLp Profits 101 5
- I have done a terrible thing 382 9
- Consolidation Software 58 1
- two business from one premises 78 2
- AIA 210 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 297 20
- partnership tax return 123 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 108 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 65 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 286 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,148 27
- Anyone else still working this week? 200 4
- s455 tax 111 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 78 1
- Am I getting Soft?? 557 12
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 200 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,493 44
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 492
- corporate hierarchy 463
- Advice - 313
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 259
- WWOOFers 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 231
- The booking.com con 226
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 211
- Cocaine anyone? 202
- UK State pension paid in NZ 169