Payroll procesing date when paying in arrears
I was searching all over the net trying to find info what date should I use in our Sage Payroll but coud not find an answer and will very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this please. I spend many many hours of searching different sites and forums and still am not sure how to do it right. PLEASE HELP.
We're a small business (registered as a self-employed, and not a ltd yet) and operating as a domestic service provider. We pay our employees on a weekly basis, but 1 week in arrears, normally on Friday next week. It is rather inconvenient to use a tax week, which will change the paydate every year, so we would like to stick to Friday. I am using both Sage Instant Accounts and Sage50 Payroll for our accounting. Our tax year end date is 31 March. Payroll tax year end is 05 Aprill for all employers. The work week is Mon - Sun (we provide service on Sundays ocasionally upon request).
I am confused about the payroll processing date, which must be set in Sage when processing payroll: should it be the date of Sunday of the week I am paying for, OR the date of the following Friday I am paying wages on. (i.e work dates 1 to 7, paydate - Fri, 12). Until now I always was using the actual date of the payroll processing - (FRI), but the problem is that the journals are also posted to Sage Accounts automatically with that date, which distorts the cost in the Accounts for the current tax year. So, on Friday, 30 Mar 2012 (which falls into tax week 52) we paid for the week ending Sunday 25/03/2012. The processing date was set to 30/03/2012. Sage payroll posted journals with the same date - 30/03/2012. Our financial year end was Sat 31/03/2012.
Now, next payroll processing date should be Friday, 06 April 2012 (which is a new tax year for the payroll [tw-01] and is in our new financial tax year), but it is going to be for the week ending 31 Mar 2012.
The question is:
- What date indeed should be used in Sage Payroll when processing the payroll: actual date or the last date of the week the payroll is calculated???, or
- shall we use the actual processing date in sage payroll, but post journals manualy into Sage Accounts with the date of the last day of the week pay was calculated? ( i.e.: processing payroll on Friday 06 Apr 2012, but posting into Sage Accounts as Saturday 31 March 2012 because it is actually for the week ending 31 March 2012)???????
I REALLY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN INDEED SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.
- HMRC filing meltdown? 568 15
- client can't/won't pay 1,968 42
- Tax Credit Office opening hours 123 1
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 108 4
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 105 2
- Non resident income. 475 21
- Why do I do this every year 461 10
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 293 22
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 174 3
- Hobby Horse 815 8
- What sectors to target? 622 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 280 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 198 3
- Self assesment online 1,015 11
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 310 5
- closing limited company 201 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 134 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 262 9
- IHT and US resident 81 1
- Limited Companies Merger 218 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 937
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 654
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 583
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 420
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 240
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 180