Payroll procesing date when paying in arrears
I was searching all over the net trying to find info what date should I use in our Sage Payroll but coud not find an answer and will very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this please. I spend many many hours of searching different sites and forums and still am not sure how to do it right. PLEASE HELP.
We're a small business (registered as a self-employed, and not a ltd yet) and operating as a domestic service provider. We pay our employees on a weekly basis, but 1 week in arrears, normally on Friday next week. It is rather inconvenient to use a tax week, which will change the paydate every year, so we would like to stick to Friday. I am using both Sage Instant Accounts and Sage50 Payroll for our accounting. Our tax year end date is 31 March. Payroll tax year end is 05 Aprill for all employers. The work week is Mon - Sun (we provide service on Sundays ocasionally upon request).
I am confused about the payroll processing date, which must be set in Sage when processing payroll: should it be the date of Sunday of the week I am paying for, OR the date of the following Friday I am paying wages on. (i.e work dates 1 to 7, paydate - Fri, 12). Until now I always was using the actual date of the payroll processing - (FRI), but the problem is that the journals are also posted to Sage Accounts automatically with that date, which distorts the cost in the Accounts for the current tax year. So, on Friday, 30 Mar 2012 (which falls into tax week 52) we paid for the week ending Sunday 25/03/2012. The processing date was set to 30/03/2012. Sage payroll posted journals with the same date - 30/03/2012. Our financial year end was Sat 31/03/2012.
Now, next payroll processing date should be Friday, 06 April 2012 (which is a new tax year for the payroll [tw-01] and is in our new financial tax year), but it is going to be for the week ending 31 Mar 2012.
The question is:
- What date indeed should be used in Sage Payroll when processing the payroll: actual date or the last date of the week the payroll is calculated???, or
- shall we use the actual processing date in sage payroll, but post journals manualy into Sage Accounts with the date of the last day of the week pay was calculated? ( i.e.: processing payroll on Friday 06 Apr 2012, but posting into Sage Accounts as Saturday 31 March 2012 because it is actually for the week ending 31 March 2012)???????
I REALLY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN INDEED SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,178 61
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,535 427
- Cash injection by shareholder 170 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 231 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 391 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,369 43
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 265 5
- 40% rule for travel expenses 199 1
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 328 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 277 8
- PRR 289 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 189 3
- corp tax software 364 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 452 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 476 7
- Which tax box 195 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 154 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 268 3
- References for clients 235 2
- Direct Debit - no receipts 179 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 465
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 283
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 152
- CIS paid under reg 9 145