Payroll procesing date when paying in arrears
I was searching all over the net trying to find info what date should I use in our Sage Payroll but coud not find an answer and will very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this please. I spend many many hours of searching different sites and forums and still am not sure how to do it right. PLEASE HELP.
We're a small business (registered as a self-employed, and not a ltd yet) and operating as a domestic service provider. We pay our employees on a weekly basis, but 1 week in arrears, normally on Friday next week. It is rather inconvenient to use a tax week, which will change the paydate every year, so we would like to stick to Friday. I am using both Sage Instant Accounts and Sage50 Payroll for our accounting. Our tax year end date is 31 March. Payroll tax year end is 05 Aprill for all employers. The work week is Mon - Sun (we provide service on Sundays ocasionally upon request).
I am confused about the payroll processing date, which must be set in Sage when processing payroll: should it be the date of Sunday of the week I am paying for, OR the date of the following Friday I am paying wages on. (i.e work dates 1 to 7, paydate - Fri, 12). Until now I always was using the actual date of the payroll processing - (FRI), but the problem is that the journals are also posted to Sage Accounts automatically with that date, which distorts the cost in the Accounts for the current tax year. So, on Friday, 30 Mar 2012 (which falls into tax week 52) we paid for the week ending Sunday 25/03/2012. The processing date was set to 30/03/2012. Sage payroll posted journals with the same date - 30/03/2012. Our financial year end was Sat 31/03/2012.
Now, next payroll processing date should be Friday, 06 April 2012 (which is a new tax year for the payroll [tw-01] and is in our new financial tax year), but it is going to be for the week ending 31 Mar 2012.
The question is:
- What date indeed should be used in Sage Payroll when processing the payroll: actual date or the last date of the week the payroll is calculated???, or
- shall we use the actual processing date in sage payroll, but post journals manualy into Sage Accounts with the date of the last day of the week pay was calculated? ( i.e.: processing payroll on Friday 06 Apr 2012, but posting into Sage Accounts as Saturday 31 March 2012 because it is actually for the week ending 31 March 2012)???????
I REALLY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN INDEED SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 415 14
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 169 17
- Sports Sponsorship 14 1
- Opt To Tax Refund 188 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 78 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,245 14
- Best software for small practice? 523 19
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 66 3
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 326 12
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,237 21
- HMRC Enquiry 421 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 150 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 278 4
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,392 16
- Long/Short Period of Account 157 3
- Another HMRC Cock Up 753 7
- Directors' advances and credits 345 1
- HMRC Statements 348 5
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 542 7
- Goodwill on incorporation low level valuations 254 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 763
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 452
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 219
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 193
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 177