Payroll procesing date when paying in arrears
I was searching all over the net trying to find info what date should I use in our Sage Payroll but coud not find an answer and will very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this please. I spend many many hours of searching different sites and forums and still am not sure how to do it right. PLEASE HELP.
We're a small business (registered as a self-employed, and not a ltd yet) and operating as a domestic service provider. We pay our employees on a weekly basis, but 1 week in arrears, normally on Friday next week. It is rather inconvenient to use a tax week, which will change the paydate every year, so we would like to stick to Friday. I am using both Sage Instant Accounts and Sage50 Payroll for our accounting. Our tax year end date is 31 March. Payroll tax year end is 05 Aprill for all employers. The work week is Mon - Sun (we provide service on Sundays ocasionally upon request).
I am confused about the payroll processing date, which must be set in Sage when processing payroll: should it be the date of Sunday of the week I am paying for, OR the date of the following Friday I am paying wages on. (i.e work dates 1 to 7, paydate - Fri, 12). Until now I always was using the actual date of the payroll processing - (FRI), but the problem is that the journals are also posted to Sage Accounts automatically with that date, which distorts the cost in the Accounts for the current tax year. So, on Friday, 30 Mar 2012 (which falls into tax week 52) we paid for the week ending Sunday 25/03/2012. The processing date was set to 30/03/2012. Sage payroll posted journals with the same date - 30/03/2012. Our financial year end was Sat 31/03/2012.
Now, next payroll processing date should be Friday, 06 April 2012 (which is a new tax year for the payroll [tw-01] and is in our new financial tax year), but it is going to be for the week ending 31 Mar 2012.
The question is:
- What date indeed should be used in Sage Payroll when processing the payroll: actual date or the last date of the week the payroll is calculated???, or
- shall we use the actual processing date in sage payroll, but post journals manualy into Sage Accounts with the date of the last day of the week pay was calculated? ( i.e.: processing payroll on Friday 06 Apr 2012, but posting into Sage Accounts as Saturday 31 March 2012 because it is actually for the week ending 31 March 2012)???????
I REALLY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN INDEED SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 655 5
- See you all on the other side 699 6
- 12Pay 467 2
- dividends 630 2
- R&D 329 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,193 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 441 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 422 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 378 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 551 5
- Seeking a tax case 647 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 510 4
- Companies house strike off 566 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 437 2
- Moving to the cloud 752 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 218 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 909 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 214 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,093 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 508 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- Marginal rates of tax 306
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 299
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 294
- Class 2 NI 284