Payroll procesing date when paying in arrears
I was searching all over the net trying to find info what date should I use in our Sage Payroll but coud not find an answer and will very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this please. I spend many many hours of searching different sites and forums and still am not sure how to do it right. PLEASE HELP.
We're a small business (registered as a self-employed, and not a ltd yet) and operating as a domestic service provider. We pay our employees on a weekly basis, but 1 week in arrears, normally on Friday next week. It is rather inconvenient to use a tax week, which will change the paydate every year, so we would like to stick to Friday. I am using both Sage Instant Accounts and Sage50 Payroll for our accounting. Our tax year end date is 31 March. Payroll tax year end is 05 Aprill for all employers. The work week is Mon - Sun (we provide service on Sundays ocasionally upon request).
I am confused about the payroll processing date, which must be set in Sage when processing payroll: should it be the date of Sunday of the week I am paying for, OR the date of the following Friday I am paying wages on. (i.e work dates 1 to 7, paydate - Fri, 12). Until now I always was using the actual date of the payroll processing - (FRI), but the problem is that the journals are also posted to Sage Accounts automatically with that date, which distorts the cost in the Accounts for the current tax year. So, on Friday, 30 Mar 2012 (which falls into tax week 52) we paid for the week ending Sunday 25/03/2012. The processing date was set to 30/03/2012. Sage payroll posted journals with the same date - 30/03/2012. Our financial year end was Sat 31/03/2012.
Now, next payroll processing date should be Friday, 06 April 2012 (which is a new tax year for the payroll [tw-01] and is in our new financial tax year), but it is going to be for the week ending 31 Mar 2012.
The question is:
- What date indeed should be used in Sage Payroll when processing the payroll: actual date or the last date of the week the payroll is calculated???, or
- shall we use the actual processing date in sage payroll, but post journals manualy into Sage Accounts with the date of the last day of the week pay was calculated? ( i.e.: processing payroll on Friday 06 Apr 2012, but posting into Sage Accounts as Saturday 31 March 2012 because it is actually for the week ending 31 March 2012)???????
I REALLY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN INDEED SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.
- Company struck-off 1,315 14
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 135 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 408 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 139 3
- Registered Office 163 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,493 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 319 5
- Partnership Registration 123 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 914 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 129 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 694 12
- Audit Required 1,190 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 318 9
- Residential Management Companies 100 2
- Value pricing 2,864 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 403 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 400 11
- Payroll software for Mac 127 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 127 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 221 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 948
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 662
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 409
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 335
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 264
- Paye procedures for CVA 253
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 203
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 195
- Pension Fixed Protection 190