Payroll procesing date when paying in arrears
I was searching all over the net trying to find info what date should I use in our Sage Payroll but coud not find an answer and will very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this please. I spend many many hours of searching different sites and forums and still am not sure how to do it right. PLEASE HELP.
We're a small business (registered as a self-employed, and not a ltd yet) and operating as a domestic service provider. We pay our employees on a weekly basis, but 1 week in arrears, normally on Friday next week. It is rather inconvenient to use a tax week, which will change the paydate every year, so we would like to stick to Friday. I am using both Sage Instant Accounts and Sage50 Payroll for our accounting. Our tax year end date is 31 March. Payroll tax year end is 05 Aprill for all employers. The work week is Mon - Sun (we provide service on Sundays ocasionally upon request).
I am confused about the payroll processing date, which must be set in Sage when processing payroll: should it be the date of Sunday of the week I am paying for, OR the date of the following Friday I am paying wages on. (i.e work dates 1 to 7, paydate - Fri, 12). Until now I always was using the actual date of the payroll processing - (FRI), but the problem is that the journals are also posted to Sage Accounts automatically with that date, which distorts the cost in the Accounts for the current tax year. So, on Friday, 30 Mar 2012 (which falls into tax week 52) we paid for the week ending Sunday 25/03/2012. The processing date was set to 30/03/2012. Sage payroll posted journals with the same date - 30/03/2012. Our financial year end was Sat 31/03/2012.
Now, next payroll processing date should be Friday, 06 April 2012 (which is a new tax year for the payroll [tw-01] and is in our new financial tax year), but it is going to be for the week ending 31 Mar 2012.
The question is:
- What date indeed should be used in Sage Payroll when processing the payroll: actual date or the last date of the week the payroll is calculated???, or
- shall we use the actual processing date in sage payroll, but post journals manualy into Sage Accounts with the date of the last day of the week pay was calculated? ( i.e.: processing payroll on Friday 06 Apr 2012, but posting into Sage Accounts as Saturday 31 March 2012 because it is actually for the week ending 31 March 2012)???????
I REALLY HOPE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN INDEED SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.
- NALS Accountants Report 198 3
- 27,000 Really? 132 8
- Legal title not in the company name 429 16
- This is getting boring 168 6
- VAT - Recharge 164 6
- Employment Allowance 301 5
- Farm barn lettings 29 1
- CIC Company 579 10
- transitioning payroll 303 9
- dividend proposals 213 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 286 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,885 61
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,545 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 218 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 550 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 921 19
- Opening Balances 128 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 232 2
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,416 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 337 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 627
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 316
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 291
- Probiz 277
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 246
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 208
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180