Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Can an owner hold company money 297 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 284 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 203 6
- Class 2 NIC 257 5
- Probate services 427 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 377 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,704 37
- Vat payable on van 136 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 242 7
- Community Faux Pas 931 26
- Cash gift from India 130 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,309 40
- Windows10 182 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 622 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 472 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 234 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 392 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 797 14
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 218
- Is the APN valid 196