Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Outsourcing Payroll 67 1
- sage 95 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 151 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,045 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 201 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 110 1
- FBI2 197 3
- Double entry 158 4
- Companies House 133 3
- Small house in garden 140 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 130 2
- Clients 917 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 285 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 142 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 270 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 310 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 128 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 517 11
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 169 3
- SAGE winforecast 251 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 467
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 299
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 262
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199