Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 18 1
- How to make restoration of corrupted excel 2007 file? 77 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,860 35
- Real names 1,112 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 495 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 116 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,367 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 661 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 231 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 84 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 127 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 283 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,577 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,971 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,950 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 86 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 117 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 164 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 114 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 88 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 580
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 452
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 352
- IFA incorporation 337
- Sorry ignore me 320
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 277
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 269
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 261
- Cancelled 202
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 172