Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Non VAT invoices 141 3
- Time to ditch Sage? 155 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 246 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 141 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 275 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,361 32
- Fees 169 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 240 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 195 2
- Form 17 Download 110 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 542 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 986 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 375 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,753 42
- Sage Line 50 172 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 187 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 452 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 395 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 204
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 183
- AIA 178
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177