Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Paid too much !! 294 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 156 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 106 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 233 1
- will this work for IHT 256 2
- Best software for small practice? 643 20
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,749 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 283 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 236 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 496 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 140 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 114 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 122 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 481 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 751 11
- Sports Sponsorship 171 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 281 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 215 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 281 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,334 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 769
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 455
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 250
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 184
- Just checking re PSA 176