Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Share transfer question 263 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 403 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 193 5
- New Employers Helpline 123 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 213 5
- Overlap relief 718 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,283 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 184 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 186 4
- VAT Query 179 2
- Sacked my first client 647 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 414 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 222 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,267 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 140 3
- How to pay national insurance 648 18
- New Website Look 1,077 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 271 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 233 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 421
- WIP Software 287
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187