Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- is this fraud? 119 3
- Corporate shareholder question 207 4
- Bartercard 281 4
- What's the market like for temps? 211 1
- is my company accounts right? 902 24
- What can my client claim r & d on? 138 4
- P11D Dispensation 134 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 367 7
- R&D tax credit claim 86 1
- Invoice Help 410 11
- CGT 72 2
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 295 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,054 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 409 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 381 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 94 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,530 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,577 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 137 1
- I have missing sales invoices 391 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 557
- Cancelled 322
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 269
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 230
- Married woman dies owning marital home 228
- Probiz 217
- CIS Deductions 171
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 166
- Car leasing scheme 149