Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 165 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 252 5
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 53 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 647 26
- Tax - Paying Yearly 259 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 192 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 231 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 456 5
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 337 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 185 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 188 1
- charities 219 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 282 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 124 1
- converting garage to use as office 319 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 664 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 128 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,208 11
- Strike off 449 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 157 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 380
- Any thoughts on Capium? 338
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 295
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 230
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 168
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 160
- APN's 159