Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Tier One Tribunal 245 12
- Money Laundering and handover 103 1
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 151 3
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 976 47
- New starter error how to correct 114 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 254 4
- Summer house for business only 231 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 200 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 176 4
- SA316s 253 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 131 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 138 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 604 13
- Filing amended tax return 144 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 851 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 127 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 145 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 268 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 180 2
- Another transfer of property 170 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 601
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 298
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 271
- SA penalty proposals 261
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 240