Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 427 5
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 390 7
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 366 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 183 2
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 194 5
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,507 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 137 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 245 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,244 19
- Go Cardless 398 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 355 3
- Mehjoo 347 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 456 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 204 4
- SA302 356 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 302 13
- Bringing money to Uk 310 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 226 4
- Hmrc software 276 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 226 1
- Xtuple 527
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 241
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 219
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 219
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161