Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- IHT Query 425 10
- Audit and paypal balances 166 7
- Missing C79 149 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 482 16
- VAT margin scheme 263 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 294 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,724 17
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 95 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 121 2
- Get it off your chest 244 4
- Directors bonus 151 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 103 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 278 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 253 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 170 3
- break even point 1,120 33
- The return 792 27
- Sell business after leaving country 333 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 94 2
- Charity accounting 89 2
- Possible Partnership? 556
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 553
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 354
- Clubs and Taxable Income 292
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 273
- Loans to other companies 219
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 211
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 177
- Outsource Data Entry 176