Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- HMRC filing meltdown? 415 14
- Why do I do this every year 276 7
- Childcare voucher schemes 238 9
- IHT and US resident 27 1
- What sectors to target? 574 29
- closing limited company 108 1
- Limited Companies Merger 200 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 128 1
- Practice management 370 7
- IHT and cash gifts 236 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 498 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,571 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 241 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 220 18
- eBay trading 224 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 255 10
- Self assesment online 924 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,130 46
- childcare 116 3
- Rent a room scheme query. 144 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 922
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 641
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 572
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 407
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 306
- Scratch Head 232
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 225
- Sabbatical payments 192
- Negligible Value Claim 167