Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Cocaine anyone? 75 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,454 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 795 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 420 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 237 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 306 11
- Tax return software for remote working 460 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 497 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 415 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 440 9
- How to purchase business premises? 141 2
- Will I need to resign? 805 10
- Childcare vouchers 156 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 295 6
- VAT avoidance? 218 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 182 3
- PAYE coding out 178 3
- Follower cases 573 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 452 2
- Hive up 468
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 436
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 214
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 202
- WWOOFers 197
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 175
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 172