Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 114 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 404 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 135 3
- Registered Office 159 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,489 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 316 5
- Partnership Registration 117 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 914 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 120 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 693 12
- Audit Required 1,189 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 317 9
- Residential Management Companies 99 2
- Value pricing 2,862 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 403 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 400 11
- Payroll software for Mac 127 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 127 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 220 5
- CIS and Close Company 211 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 948
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 662
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 408
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 335
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 264
- Paye procedures for CVA 253
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 202
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 190