Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Business lending another business money (UK) 98 3
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 340 5
- P11d query 271 5
- Rental expenses 67 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 142 5
- What are my legal responsibilities 360 14
- No more tax returns... 1,543 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 422 6
- Signed accounts for bank 303 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 480 10
- Landing clients 428 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,156 22
- Termination Payment 223 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 229 3
- CRM / marketing 117 2
- Allocation of income from property 759 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,887 28
- Opening a Quick books file 149 1
- 64-8 problems 525 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 351 10