Penalties v surcharges
Is there any real implication in the change of name from "surcharge" to "penalty" in relation to self assessment balancing payments paid more than 28 days late, or is it just a political puff designed to encourage earlier payment on the perhaps spurious grounds that "penalties" are less desirable (or carry more stigma) or easier to understand than "surcharges" even if the amount is precisely the same?
There are three possibilities that was wondering about:
1) CIS compliance history. If you want an exemption certificate you need to demonstrate a history of compliance, which could be compromised if you have received a penalty. I am a bit out of touch with CIS schemes, but my vague recollection is that late payment of tax is a compliance failure anyway, so perhaps this change makes no difference here.
2) Fee protection insurance. Terms of cover may require that no "penalty" has been charged, whereas the imposition of a "surcharge" may not be relevant. It may vary between providers, but I think that our provider would take no notice of a late payment "penalty" in risk assessment or coverage issues.
3) Appeals procedure. Again, I have not looked up chapter and verse, but I recall that there was a facility to appeal a surcharge notice on "reasonable grounds". Perhaps this is still possible, but I see that no mention of right of appeal is included in the new style penalty notices.
Perhaps there are other issues?
With kind regards
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,595 45
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 154 6
- Property scam victim 259 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 164 5
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 182 6
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 460 12
- Aggressive HMRC 1,769 19
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 138 6
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 98 2
- Partnership returns software 43 1
- Personal consumption by landlord 253 2
- Business purchase cost - treatment? 33 1
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 67 1
- company loss, Can he start again?? 123 4
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 119 5
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 240 1
- VAT chargeable or not? 233 4
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 422 8
- Company Fuel - Reimbursement to avoid Benefit in Kind 87 4
- Charity reserves 360 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,072
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 568
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 380
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 284
- Charge out rates in London? 231
- Interest on Loan to a Company 183
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 167
- Agent fees to sell business 159
- Alphabet shares 151
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 148