Personal bank statements again!
Whilst been discussed many a time on here I'd just like to run our situation through with others for opinions, feedback, thoughts, arguments etc.
We're a small accountancy practise (two man pship) and an enquiry is being made into our partnership return (10/11), all records have been provided by hand to the inspector per his detailed request, which match the figures on the return. Our records are, in my opinion at least, perfect, as should any accountancy practice be.
Now we've received a letter back stating that because we didn't bank the cash income declared he wants to see our personal bank statements, credit card etc in our own names. In response I've replied cash wasnt banked due to bank charges plus it was used to buy business expenses (of which a full analysis was provided with supporting invoices). Also told the inspector he's being unreasonable and that there are no rules that stipulate cash income must be banked, as long as its declared.
Have yet to hear back but can assure we will fight tooth and nail with HMRC on this one for the general privacy and rights of decent tax payers.
Anyone who can share similar experiences be appreciated.
- Payment on account penalties 15 1
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 139 7
- Audit 436 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 366 8
- Tax on free shares 76 3
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 93 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 94 1
- Buying a horse?? 371 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 178 2
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 162 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 726 21
- PITA ex-client 194 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 231 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 345 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 317 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,658 19
- New supplier 131 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 824 22
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 245 13
- Scottish Independance 879 24
- CTA study material 798
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 490
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 451
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 303
- Expat pension contributions? 276
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 217
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157