Personal Company for Entrepreneurs relief | AccountingWEB

Personal Company for Entrepreneurs relief

We have a client who purchased shares in the company where he is and has been for over one year a company director. These are the only shares that he holds in his own name and were less than 5% of the ordinary share capital in full. Within one year of holding them he sold them them to the holding company for a profit/gain. He owns all of the shares in the Hong Kong holding company and this company owns approximately 75% of the shares in the UK trading company. My question is whether the UK trading company is and was his "personal company" for Entrepreneurs relief purposes. In other words do the shares have to be in his name for him to qualify or can they be owned by his own, wholley owned Hong Kong company. If so I would assume that he could claim Entrepreneurs relief on the gain.   

There are 2 comments. Login or register to view them.


Steve Kesby |
Steve Kesby's picture

Transactions in securities

gbuckell |
gbuckell's picture