Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 762 32
- VAT Invoice 57 3
- IHT and Swiss Property 101 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 173 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 122 7
- General tax book with planning 91 1
- Gift of property & improvements 75 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 236 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 118 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 409 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 336 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 232 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 153 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 248 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 149 4
- SA302's anyone?? 515 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,627 41
- Renting for military reasons 173 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,560 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,042 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,616
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 508
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 261
- Bonus Bonds 259
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 166
- P11D benefit received by widow 147