Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 140 4
- CIC Company 519 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,335 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 282 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 865 18
- NALS Accountants Report 113 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,478 35
- Legal title not in the company name 285 10
- Dividend dates 571 10
- Sole properietor 191 4
- transitioning payroll 248 8
- dividend proposals 125 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 243 2
- Deduction from Salary 306 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 207 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,739 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 95 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 440 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 163 2
- 12 Pay Problems 257 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 312
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 232
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 204
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176