Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Spousal transfer and PPR 495 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 261 5
- Where has Portia gone? 1,231 55
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 63 4
- VAT on commercial property 75 3
- Rogue Accountant 2,970 49
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 218 4
- deceased creditor 132 5
- Corporate member of LLP 267 1
- Investment company 258 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 324 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 199 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 360 3
- Sage & IRIS Payroll Employee ID. Problem Using Old Ee ID's? 90 1
- Transfer of stock 354 12
- Holiday entitlement 544 10
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 340 7
- HMRC manual ESSM 191 1
- Extension of lease in flat management company 250 3
- Football Agent Fees 741 23
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 779
- RTI - duplicate employee record 526
- Pensions Regulator 443
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 401
- Sage Vat return box 2 302
- Sanzar 301
- Digital marketing focus group 282
- How do you do it 270
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 235
- Report old income 235