Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 371 7
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 19 1
- How much of your work is admin? 31 1
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,844 16
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,767 19
- Goodwill complications 106 2
- Personal pension 190 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 108 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 277 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 227 6
- Late Registration for VAT 107 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 984 25
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 960 26
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,140 12
- property development 262 8
- Registering a company late 179 5
- Business rates consultancy 115 2
- sale of house 631 18
- Corporation tax penalty 1,513 9
- Part Disposal of Freehold 323 13
- TheTax Donut 996
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 656
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 612
- Follower cases 475
- Hive up 399
- Limited company purchase of property 399
- corporate hierarchy 372
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 368
- LIVE chat, starting now 305
- AIA or IFA 202