Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Director leaving in month 1 227 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 158 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 134 3
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 190 6
- Basic RTI - how to re-enter lost data? 73 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,378 22
- Secondment expenses 184 5
- VAT Option to tax 502 18
- Clarify the tax position 59 1
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 130 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 236 6
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 328 4
- CIS and Close Company 155 5
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 219 4
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 85 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 363 8
- Giving advice to friends / family 151 2
- Ex Gratia payments 128 2
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,213 27
- Employee satisfaction surveys 87 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 917
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 416
- Director Loan account operation 409
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 357
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 324
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 199
- Pension Fixed Protection 164