Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 43 1
- Elective DeductionsModel 50 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 180 1
- Rental Income 284 6
- Value pricing 164 6
- Payroll 2012/13 85 1
- I have a pain 665 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 63 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 149 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 719 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 104 3
- Cash flow 135 2
- New use of home - simplified method 211 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 256 5
- company secretarial software 105 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 368 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,942 32
- Share restructure 327 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 145 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,842 14
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 726
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 496
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 342
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 336
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 180
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 172
- Director Loan account operation 146