Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Drector renting room to company 39 1
- Off site storage 118 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 555 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 220 7
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 70 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,114 44
- Industrial & Provident Societies 341 1
- Irish Taxation 110 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 488 5
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 212 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 305 4
- Self assesment losses 300 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 161 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 160 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 109 2
- Joint Property rent 165 3
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 256 1
- Fee protection 891 16
- Overdrawn DLA 276 9
- Disposal of an opted property 146 2
- Xtuple 561
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 338
- Domain name sale and limited company 227
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 205
- Investment 203
- Tax on damages received 177
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 169
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 142