Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 146 3
- Undeclared rental income 122 4
- Drop box Storage 756 8
- Cash injection by shareholder 646 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 209 2
- rti 182 5
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 196 6
- FIFA game and making money 1,725 15
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 83 1
- Drop Down Boxes 90 1
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 368 7
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 243 4
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 753 21
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,284 497
- Property management company Online returns 87 1
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 117 3
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 324 9
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,122 45
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 413 19
- Employing a carer 225 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,398
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 532
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 325
- Hands on experience of Digita 251
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 235
- Employer's Helpline 191
- CIS paid under reg 9 190
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 157
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 156