Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 153 3
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 89 3
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 58 1
- Late VAT registration penalty 95 3
- Research expenses for authors 171 2
- HMRC website 66 1
- VAT 50 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 358 18
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 106 1
- Pricing 210 8
- Sage error message 50 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 207 8
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 184 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,137 158
- Money laundering POCA 213 4
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 107 1
- P11d mistake 127 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 188 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 486 1
- CLG exempt under s60 130 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 501
- Skandia using wrong address 450
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 240
- Employee rewards 236
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 186
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 183
- Etax Australian 152