Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Practice management 138 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 208 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 81 1
- IHT and cash gifts 50 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 130 7
- Clothing 149 4
- VAT registration transfer 147 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 570 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 85 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 97 2
- Director drawings 390 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 322 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 91 1
- HMRC SA302s 203 3
- What does the "K" signify 430 7
- Director or self-employed 145 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 127 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 142 3
- What sectors to target? 202 7
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 131 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 905
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 609
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 577
- Latest phishing scam 531
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 375
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 343
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 281
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 199
- Capital allowances in first basis period 187
- Sabbatical payments 175