Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Member meet up 1 October in London 326 8
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 178 7
- Identify cost savings 207 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 434 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 112 2
- Capital gains tax and PPR 97 1
- Jobs after completing ACCA 134 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 590 11
- are these allowable deductions? 130 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,659 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 570 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 86 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 138 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 418 7
- Schedule A losses 152 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 200 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 834 1
- Fees 796 8
- P11D & tax return 289 10
- Freelance/Employee 931 22
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 333
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 241
- AIA 216
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 171
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 162