Physiotherapy - wholly and exclusively?
Here is the scenario. A client who happens to be a professional rock climber as incurred roughly £1,400 of expenditure during the last tax year in physiotherapy costs and would like to claim these costs against their income.
My instinct here is that it is not wholly and exclusively for the pupose of the trade and therefore the costs can't be claimed. The case of Norman v Golder (1944) does back this up.
However I have some sympathy here for the client. Their income is derived from coaching, sponsorship deals and the occasional TV appearance. The sponsorship deals are based on this person being one of the top UK climbers. This involves climbing new routes both in the UK and overseas, which in itself can and does lead to this person injuring themselves. My thought process here is that without the physio they would more than likely recover, but in a longer time frame which could jeopardize their sponsorship deals and ability to coach other people (ie the level of income could suffer).
What are other AW users opinions on this? Anyone had something similar in the past?
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,364 42
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 231 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 449 6
- Sage 50 134 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 368 12
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 208 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 197 9
- VAT on motor expenses 911 33
- Introduction of Goodwill 240 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 127 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 136 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 112 2
- What does it mean?? 388 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 293 13
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 101 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,732 22
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 146 3
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 174 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 769 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 402 12
- Skandia using wrong address 1,551
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 238
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 214
- Management expenses for investment company 212
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196