'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 188 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 39 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 574 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,233 36
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 200 3
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,455 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 168 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 825 33
- VAT flat rate scheme 69 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 278 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 78 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 192 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,073 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 397 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 143 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 208 3
- FPS or EPS 155 2
- Continuity of Practice 210 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 135 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 317 10
- Moving away from CCH software 951
- QROP pension input amounts 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 255
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 226
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197