'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 22 1
- Standard 'email' template system 361 7
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 139 1
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 37 1
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 558 7
- Travel expenses 435 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,467 142
- Reclaim vat on invoice 170 3
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,114 29
- Shadow director or alternative? 263 3
- Computerised Accountancy Software 281 1
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 495 13
- Bankruptcy 430 10
- P11d Van - no private use 438 12
- Expanding To UK From USA 150 2
- How do I account for trees?! 291 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 504 17
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 238 5
- Abbreviated Accounts 351 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 584 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 990
- Employment related securities question 504
- Looking for a qualified accountant 328
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 309
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 276
- National Insurance 214
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 205
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 195
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 191
- Payments on account coded out?? 149