'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 82 2
- transitioning payroll 201 6
- dividend proposals 54 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 210 2
- Deduction from Salary 271 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 168 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,686 60
- Dividend dates 534 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 70 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 425 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 153 2
- 12 Pay Problems 240 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 231 3
- Sole properietor 115 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 85 1
- Redudancy 76 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 474 13
- VAT - Recharge 89 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 350 4
- Legal title not in the company name 229 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 308
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 280
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 172