'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Accountants' Error 682 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 139 3
- Scoot 171 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 145 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 191 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 659 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,445 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 104 1
- Regaining my qualification 192 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 232 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 219 2
- Auto enrolment 190 3
- Shareholder agreement 169 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 161 3
- Employee Loan 203 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 461 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 588 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 144 1
- Wear and tear allowance 463 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 760
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 521
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 353
- NOVA 258
- Advertising services? 251
- IRIS Open Books problem 241