'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- tax on apprenticeship income 179 1
- General tax book with planning 200 4
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 215 3
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 126 2
- are receipts needed? 524 14
- Gift of property & improvements 141 3
- VAT Invoice 197 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 277 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 236 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 375 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,263 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 309 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 817 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 253 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 171 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 476 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 401 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 266 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 218 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 903
- International interest certificate 514
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 304
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- P11D benefit received by widow 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 146