'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 239 1
- Very large share capital by mistake 196 1
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 354 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 410 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,974 45
- Love is in the air 314 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,691 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 241 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 393 8
- Client Paperwork Retention? 498 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 243 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 521 1
- Paying Son 654 18
- HMRC accounting 383 3
- Employers NI allowance 461 6
- Dividend taxation 385 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 290 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 189 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 267 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 456 4
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 277
- CGT for NOn UK residents 274
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 268
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 247
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 188