'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 339 7
- Received a CIS invoice 262 9
- DLA interest query. 2,924 66
- VAT invoice 206 9
- claim fees with out without VAT? 146 3
- Drector renting room to company 187 2
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 42 2
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 206 10
- Fee protection 1,077 24
- Accounting for software development costs 237 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 234 7
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 410 5
- Anyone done ATT? 231 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 77 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,641 54
- Bereavment payment 342 4
- indexation factors 76 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,665 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 143 1
- Vat on motor repairs 145 3
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 403
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 249
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 238
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 223
- Tax on damages received 202
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 196
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 162
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 161