'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Abolish the penalty regime 57 3
- IHT Query 128 3
- Statutary sick pay 168 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 250 4
- Director Salary 346 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 319 9
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 323 6
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 880 24
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 293 7
- Capital Gain? 423 11
- Reversing out RTI 167 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 302 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 281 6
- BrightPay 627 18
- Classic cars investment 249 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 252 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 331 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 369 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 279 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 290 2
- Benchmarking 499
- Possible Partnership? 448
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 419
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192