'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 382 17
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 13 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 856 35
- Probate services 341 6
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 186 2
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,601 37
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 255 7
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,475 24
- Opening Balance in Sage 50 Accounts 97 3
- Sage accounts help 76 1
- Community Faux Pas 802 25
- AAT before CIMA? 116 1
- trading losses allowable? 721 13
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 436 9
- Tax Fines - HMRC 744 11
- Shared Network Drive on the Cloud 93 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 165 6
- Here we go.... 851 25
- Capital Gains 336 6
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR)? 151 1