'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 362 8
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 200 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 395 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 66 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,359 42
- How much of your work is admin? 621 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 103 1
- Nominal Ledger 386 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 564 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 187 2
- Old CGT loss 204 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 168 3
- Paper tax return 153 4
- Start up allowance? 374 12
- Will I need to resign? 188 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 246 3
- AIA or IFA 453 7
- Surely not? 458 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 643 9
- Late Registration for VAT 363 11