'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 126 3
- flat rate scheme 1,927 38
- Time to react ? ? ? 277 2
- which accounts package for busy hairdressers? 131 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 638 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 150 3
- Company Share Buy Back 139 2
- Charitable Payment 210 4
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 939 15
- Unpaid share capital 258 3
- Company car in the LLP 197 2
- Physiotherapy 345 4
- New build property to be rented 189 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,886 52
- Hello 362 2
- Sage 200 question 127 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 121 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 199 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 200 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 232 4