'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Awkward IP 499 6
- When does my Property business start 203 4
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 829 19
- Preparing a consolidated TB 188 5
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,185 20
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,480 43
- SE sales person paid in cash and goods 69 1
- Prepare for Chaos 260 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,607 69
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 723 19
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 456 6
- Fastest Software 563 8
- NETP paying VAT - how to pay? 66 1
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 586 15
- Bookkeeping Package 610 8
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 159 5
- Company Pension Contributions 194 4
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 312 1
- Employment status 502 9
- Foreign Premium Distributions 159 1
- CTA study material 589
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 587
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 358
- Employment related securities question 218
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 192
- ATED Penalties 191
- AIM Stocks and IHT 172
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 126
- Trust for Employee 122
- Expat pension contributions? 122