'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Concurrent users 751 10
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 181 4
- change director details just before striking-off 86 1
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 80 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 186 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 214 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 88 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 82 1
- Bank account frozen 142 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 871 26
- Writing Website Content 668 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 117 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 174 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 248 2
- Badges of trade 353 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 280 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 143 2
- AIA 351 5
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 295 8
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 217 9
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 451
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 420
- Electric Car 355
- S222 Charge 283
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 263
- IP trans to holding company 219
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 200
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 194
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 164
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 161