'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- client can't/won't pay 1,727 33
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 43 2
- how much to charge 214 6
- Carrying forward self employment losses 121 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 313 16
- Charities and VAT 124 11
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 92 5
- Rental losses 76 2
- EIS reinvestment relief 188 13
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 159 3
- HMRC SA system 75 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,483 53
- Company dividends 858 36
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 172 5
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 67 2
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 82 2
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 838 23
- White van man 991 30
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,383 16
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 764 28
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 897
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 593
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 563
- Latest phishing scam 515
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 368
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 336
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 272
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 193
- Capital allowances in first basis period 173
- Sabbatical payments 167