'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,325 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 168 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 187 2
- "Audit Report" 84 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 485 13
- Coding Notice 233 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 250 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 227 3
- Payroll software 654 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 278 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 738 18
- B2B vat in the EU 195 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 203 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 238 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 201 4
- LLP as member of LLP 142 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,849 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 524 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 874
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 722
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 197
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 173
- Travel costs and contractors 173