'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Special Puprose Vehicle (SPV) company 126 4
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 102 4
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,193 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 953 22
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 110 4
- Not a question but made my day 985 21
- VAT Caravan Residential Letting Income 95 1
- Payroll got out of synch 228 7
- Exempt supplies and VAT registration 175 6
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 499 6
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,965 27
- Client right to working papers 1,007 6
- Accounts Package 473 12
- Annual Tax Summary 101 1
- Old payroll 155 3
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 380 2
- HMRC Debt collectors 180 3
- VAT on property 208 2
- Popular destinations for expatriates - taxation comparison 111 2
- Community interest company 79 1
- NHS finance professionals 582
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 387
- Foreign Pension Contribution 360
- vat gross profit percentage margins 324
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 318
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 299
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 260
- Thinning income 252
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 215
- IFA income recognition & reporting 193