'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Share transfer question 264 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 404 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 194 5
- New Employers Helpline 125 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 214 5
- Overlap relief 718 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,286 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 185 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 188 4
- VAT Query 180 2
- Sacked my first client 648 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 414 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 223 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,269 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 141 3
- How to pay national insurance 648 18
- New Website Look 1,077 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 273 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 233 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 421
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187