'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Tax relief for networking day out? 529 14
- SA316s 168 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 48 1
- Swiching tax 524 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 739 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 507 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 523 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 370 11
- Start-up cost recognition 104 1
- Lunches 240 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 393 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 140 3
- Generic notification message 258 6
- Property Expenses 220 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 822 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 150 1
- Accrued salary unpaid 262 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,206 18
- Basis periods 115 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 125 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 604
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 591
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 386
- Pensions Regulator 351
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 290
- Using the correct forms 265
- SA penalty proposals 256
- RTI - duplicate employee record 255
- Accelerated payment notices 236
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 227