'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- what time is it ? 31 1
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 239 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,040 14
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 232 8
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 660 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 215 4
- Year end 137 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 563 21
- How would you account for warranty? 146 4
- LLP - Member leaving 124 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 392 22
- Sweet Tooth 176 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 175 2
- trading or dormant 115 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 113 1
- tax credits 134 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 568 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 273 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 121 1
- Foreign income for self employed 137 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 873
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 518
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 330
- How to format a stock book 310
- Tax efficient holding company structure 244
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 240
- Investment property company accounts template 225
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 219
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 191
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 163