'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 20 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 270 2
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 68 3
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 67 2
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 160 3
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 141 3
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 199 7
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,082 24
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 300 8
- Write off of former director's loan 379 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 233 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 211 13
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 260 4
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 178 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 321 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 231 6
- SME Direct Debit 691 11
- Accountant software 454 13
- Accounting jobs in the UK 181 2
- CIS gross status review 133 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 770
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 490
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 304
- How to format a stock book 269
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 219
- Tax efficient holding company structure 208
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 200
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 176
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165