'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,392 316
- Partnership to Sole Trader 46 2
- FIFA game and making money 517 8
- Loan to a related company 246 10
- Mortgage deposit Gift 208 9
- Amending Share Capital 88 4
- Umbrella Company 44 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 394 6
- Family loan 497 9
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 71 2
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 237 11
- Father selling son 25% of Property with view to selling rest within 5 years 110 5
- What should I do for 'free' 234 3
- Bonus/Shares 98 5
- Settlement re Offshore Bond 157 1
- EC sales list 99 2
- Repairs after a rental business ends 428 13
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 349 4
- Expenses of overseas employment 182 3
- Paying tax in Angola and uk? 130 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,142
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 375
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 282
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 245
- Payments on account coded out?? 242
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 205
- Non Resident 194
- Franchise income and costs 182