'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 412 10
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 155 2
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 122 1
- CGT on house within Limited Company 298 10
- Subsistence Claims 319 3
- India Capital Gain 156 2
- Late filing penalties refunded 116 1
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 352 7
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 225 4
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 551 12
- Care Home - Job Price 306 5
- Fee headache 507 4
- Dormant payroll 758 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 133 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 310 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,549 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 144 1
- This feels wrong.... 1,607 21
- Overlap relief 407 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 222 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 513
- Theatre Tax Relief 421
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 330
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 310
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 288
- Perkbox 238
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 226
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 221
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 200
- Document Management Systems 197