'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,481 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 153 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 99 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 286 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 237 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,237 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 373 6
- Go Cardless 388 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 334 3
- Mehjoo 337 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 158 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 415 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 201 4
- SA302 349 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 298 13
- Bringing money to Uk 304 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 220 4
- Hmrc software 265 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 203 1
- Hosted email exchange 195 5
- Xtuple 526
- Qtac payroll for bureau 358
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 302
- Industrial & Provident Societies 295
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 239
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 217
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 214
- Domain name sale and limited company 184
- CIS schemes 180
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 157