'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- capital gains on PPR 1,408 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 252 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 221 14
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 195 10
- Incorporation Relief 83 1
- What type of Trust? 140 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 125 5
- OBK 575 19
- Instant CPD offer 123 2
- Dividend in specie 117 2
- Investor exit 103 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 90 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 157 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 76 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,716 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,750 26
- Sage error message 149 2
- Partially exempt? 179 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 531 5
- Mileage claim 262 9
- Skandia using wrong address 465
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 208
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 191
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 152