'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,354 38
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 74 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,212 10
- The importance of Grammar 1,292 38
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 114 3
- Profit split from an investment property 135 5
- VAT - How hard is it? 695 25
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 93 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 263 6
- tax saving on card points 230 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 913 14
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 250 9
- Scissors 864 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 434 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 445 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 238 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 117 2
- Xero Pain Points 496 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 338 8
- VAT and Groups 83 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 370
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 306
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 295
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 200
- Company Structure 195
- VAT and customer entertaining 175