'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Who owns the data 174 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 126 5
- Sole Trader Fees 88 1
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 63 1
- Director hired as an individual 18 1
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 53 1
- Loan interest rental property 179 5
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 104 4
- Theatre as charitable company 29 1
- Real names 447 17
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 126 5
- Peer to Peer lending 110 5
- What's the plural? 656 14
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 91 1
- Well well well 235 2
- Capital Gains Tax 101 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 150 1
- Dividend payment date 1,846 32
- Use of aliases 700 19
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 151 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 568
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 429
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 331
- IFA incorporation 306
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 295
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 284
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 234
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 225
- Sorry ignore me 217