'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Transfer of Software to sister company 40 1
- Your comments please 148 4
- CGT history of shares 104 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 661 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 182 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 86 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 178 2
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 53 1
- Closing my business down 330 20
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 120 1
- Recording Calls 68 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 72 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,277 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,494 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 917 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 74 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 164 2
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 256 3
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 255 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 203 6
- Moving away from CCH software 959
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 389
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 368
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 265
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 234
- Construction CIS LLP Company 218
- EPS and CIS deductions 210
- Out of time or not? 193