'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 335 4
- transitioning payroll 148 4
- Legal title not in the company name 161 9
- VAT - Recharge 55 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,540 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 148 3
- Deduction from Salary 192 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,737 30
- Car financed by employee 185 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 112 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 621 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 155 3
- Dividend payment date 2,189 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 157 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 179 2
- One off meeting new client 1,427 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 307 6
- Child tax credits 232 4
- Car leasing scheme 226 1
- 12 Pay Problems 190 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 303
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 220
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 197
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169