'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 106 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 325 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 211 3
- FreeAgent question 95 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 119 2
- CIS monthly returns 175 2
- Goodie bag 1,551 52
- Husband Wife let property 348 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 499 12
- Output tax for retailer 312 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 279 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 137 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 132 1
- CT600 Advice 128 1
- Fair Value Accounting 77 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 142 4
- can I approach clients ? 405 8
- Companies House Penalties 138 2
- Apostille documents 115 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 545 13
- Possible Partnership? 642
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 446
- Fuming! 381
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 317
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 255
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 227
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 176