'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 297 9
- Payroll manager and the cloud 303 1
- CIMA CBA or AAT 105 4
- Rental of property in New Zealand 142 1
- Mortgage Reference 900 15
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 122 1
- RTI offline? 613 2
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 143 1
- CIS and Xero 277 1
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 247 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 169 2
- property capital gains 411 4
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 147 2
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 930 9
- Tips on meals 570 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,352 15
- S.455 Tax again 456 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 226 3
- Closing down loss-making company 811 15
- Stumped - IHT 629 8