'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- I do not love you 268 5
- What are you doing now 31 Jan is past? 128 2
- Limited Company 217 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 186 1
- Love is in the air 764 10
- Stamp Duty 342 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 750 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 902 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 410 5
- Paying Son 819 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 406 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 285 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,078 47
- Setting up a practice 659 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 638 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 570 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 500 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 249 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,877 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 470 1
- Foreign domicile status 319
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 304
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 284
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 263
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 250
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 236