'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- I know ... 1,206 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 677 18
- Tax on principal private residence 214 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 217 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 241 2
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 127 1
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 215 4
- Personal pension contributions 245 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 316 4
- RTI Filing 946 20
- Staff entertaining or not? 252 3
- Sole Trader Start Up- Employment Help 391 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 213 4
- IR35 and working for an EU company 128 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 448 21
- Getting advice from HMRC 652 14
- Tax calc and NIC 214 2
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,834 29
- German wanting to pay UK tax 354 3
- Employment allowance and service companies (outside IR35) 424 13
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 697
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 469
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 307
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 270
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 242
- growth voucher supplier 216
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 182
- VAT on Gaming Machines 168
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 156
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 154