'Posh Shed' office. What can you claim?
My client has just completed the building of a 'posh shed' in his garden. A pre fabricated type shed to be used as an office, no planning required. He has just passed me a pile of receipts relating to the purchase and construction with the expectation that they are tax deductible. He has 2 businesses, one flat rate and another standard vat.
I have a strong inclination that they are not tax deductible and if they were put through the business (capitalised), then capital gains tax would kick in when he sold his property (the office is in his garden). Is this correct?
Does anyone know if any expenses can be put through the businesses and if any VAT can be claimed back? I think claiming back the VAT on buildings relates to residential...not sure if an office is classed as residential?
Basically I don't know much but I am sure one of you out there has come across this before.There seems to be a trend these days for these posh offices...quite fancy one myself!!
Many thanks in advance.
- Disclosure requirements for Directors Loan Accounts in Credit 507 20
- Tax relief on accommodation costs 24 1
- Director or self-employed 278 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,364 25
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 589 17
- Anybody still doing returns? 1,005 37
- BVI registered 190 4
- Closing a limited company 392 6
- Self assessment for directors 186 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 279 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,616 17
- A little knowledge 420 6
- Digita in the cloud 181 2
- Tax relief when working away 96 1
- Tax relief when working away 211 3
- Designated sole Residence 259 5
- Scratch Head 360 1
- Year end 278 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 335 13
- Clothing 650 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 970
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 691
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 634
- Latest phishing scam 616
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 459
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 338
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 270
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 240
- Sabbatical payments 232
- Negligible Value Claim 214