PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- Zoho Books 151 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 207 3
- Self-assessment statistics 2,479 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 247 5
- Transmission of ISA 82 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 207 2
- Next Move 721 20
- Not renewing AAT 680 9
- CGT of shares gifted 385 6
- New dividend taxation 520 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,805 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 177 1
- Company car v company allowance 305 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 440 9
- Company formation and bank account 453 9
- Owning overseas property 367 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 294 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 297 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 713 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 752 9
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 671
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 410
- Property letting & CAs 402
- 2015 tax year end 398
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 397
- FCA regulated company in a small group 348
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 242
- Costly Accounting Software contract 224
- DTA tie-breaker issue 213