PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- "Can your client afford the following" 927 18
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 460 9
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 240 3
- Directors Accountancy Fees 68 1
- CIS Software Recommendations 140 2
- Capital Gains Regime/Corporation Tax Regime 96 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 835 12
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 299 6
- Recruitment consultancy says previous accountant said they could claim VAT on candidate entertainment. Could this be correct? 168 5
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 612 17
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 777 15
- Late filing penalties refunded 277 4
- Employers allowance 78 1
- Dividend in Specie on demerger 105 1
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 187 5
- Overpayment of Salary 822 24
- Effect on new state pension of contracted out periods 79 1
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 121 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 566 1
- CGT on house within Limited Company 321 10
- Theatre Tax Relief 426
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 332
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 311
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 292
- Perkbox 241
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 231
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 225
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 201
- Document Management Systems 200
- WIP Software 186