PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 39 1
- ICAS GPPM 74 1
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 107 2
- Payroll 235 7
- Buying fees 680 5
- IHT Query 439 11
- Audit and paypal balances 175 7
- Missing C79 153 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 488 16
- VAT margin scheme 270 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 303 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,728 17
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 127 2
- Get it off your chest 252 4
- Directors bonus 154 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 107 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 284 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 266 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 179 3
- break even point 1,120 33
- Possible Partnership? 557
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 553
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 354
- Clubs and Taxable Income 293
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 277
- Loans to other companies 220
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 212
- Outsource Data Entry 180
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 179