PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- Linux Accounting Software 515 11
- Dispensation pointless ? 446 11
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 45 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,163 27
- Is Hold over relief available? 42 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 427 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 334 8
- can I claim a per diem 135 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 216 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 351 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 807 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 477 11
- SME Direct Debit 726 12
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,063 18
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 164 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 761 9
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 324 6
- r&d payable tax credits 75 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 463 3
- CIS gross status review 196 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 806
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 496
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 308
- How to format a stock book 275
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 216
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 205
- Investment property company accounts template 200
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 173