PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 447 17
- Dividend Tax Petition 282 3
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 217 1
- Bank reconciliation 246 8
- Practice software 649 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 324 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 244 5
- Tax efficient vehicle 448 8
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 134 2
- Business only use of company car 194 5
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 224 7
- Buying a business premises in a pension 159 2
- Goodwill on incorporation 499 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 345 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 164 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 134 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 194 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 107 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 3,299 77
- Going through security 231 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 240
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 224
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 211
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 199
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 166
- CTA Material 159
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 159
- Any thoughts on Capium? 154