PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- Scams are not always obvious 578 16
- Market Value/Connected Persons 151 7
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 566 16
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 97 3
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 224 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,958 23
- Cells from many sheets 104 2
- Taxation of rental income 132 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 126 6
- Is this legal? 550 8
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 46 1
- Childcare vouchers 58 1
- Directors loan 1,384 9
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 111 1
- New company formation and equity 154 3
- Previously dormant company now medium sized - does it need an audit? 109 1
- Tax planning, transferring BTL property to company 211 5
- Forming a Holding Company 152 2
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 98 1
- OMB contractor company making himself redundant 233 3
- New Fangled Penalties 1,038
- Moving away from CCH software 899
- Recruitment agencies 521
- QROP pension input amounts 408
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 361
- Deemed Employment Payment 340
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 301
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 215
- fraud 198