PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- Tax Penalty overreaction 1,463 11
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 246 8
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 140 6
- Company dividends 479 14
- dividend versus capital distribution 135 3
- Private Residence Relief after gift 210 4
- EIS reinvestment relief 106 4
- Advice on letting a client go ? 409 6
- Paying the £30,000 remittance basis charge 97 2
- ITTOIA 2005 s629 183 7
- Receipt bank 216 5
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 204 3
- Declaration of interest 58 1
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,745 91
- Unbelievable!! 521 3
- Relevant earnings and losses 171 4
- Non resident income. 326 16
- Knuckle down one week to go! 1,199 23
- Urgent question on company accounting period before it become dormant 116 2
- Do we have to register for VAT? 268 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 865
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 557
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 523
- Latest phishing scam 433
- Entrepreneurs' relief 396
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 348
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 325
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 310
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 232
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 206