PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,425 25
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,989 70
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 210 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,951 47
- inflation rate year on year 186 4
- Accounts Question 158 5
- Deleted question? 766 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,220 67
- MAAT vs ACCA 730 13
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 669 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 461 4
- VAT Return Errors 205 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 166 5
- Yorkshire Day 623 38
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 202 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 389 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 154 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 299 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 243 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 161 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 379
- Probiz 359
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 265
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 239
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 235
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 154