PPR ... calculation of capital gain and determination of facts re 2nd residence
April 2000 - Janet and Bob purchase a flat for £83,000. Bob moves in then. August 2000 - Janet and Bob marry. Janet moves into the flat.
April 2006 - flat is re-mortgaged - this time the mortgage and lease put in Janet's name alone. August 2006 - They leave the flat as Bob has a job in another town. Flat is put on the rental market, and a property rented in the new town. December 2006 - tenant is eventually found. Flat is let until sale in December 2011.
May 2007 - 2nd property - a house - purchased in new town.
August 2011, they move again, letting the house (2nd property) immediately, and putting the flat (1st property) on the market (having added Bob's name to the lease again). December 2011 - flat is sold for £150,000.
Janet and Bob did not make an election as to which is their principal private residence, and I'm now trying to sort out their SA returns.
Total gain is £67,000, being £150,000 less £83,000. This accumulated over 140 months (about £478/month).
1) Administratively - should I try and establish what their principal private residence is/was with HMRC before submitting the SAs, or can I do it at the same time (via letter, or in the white space). The house is now their principal private residence, although they are renting away from home now while at university.
2) Until May 2007, when the 2nd property is purchased, I'm minded that the flat is the principal private residence. Thereafter, in the absence of an election within two years to keep the flat as PPR, the house would seem to be the obvious PPR.
3) Is there a CGT liability for either Janet or Bob, or are they both covered entirely by PPR relief and Lettings Relief?
Grateful for your thoughts.
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 314 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 277 8
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 118 5
- Accounting software integration with self assessment 63 1
- Excel query 158 4
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,054 15
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 152 3
- Agent authorisation for RTI filing 31 1
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,336 14
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 569 9
- Payment on account penalties 160 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,703 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 98 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 110 1
- Does IR35 apply? 110 1
- Sage data 116 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 426 9
- Limited company buying a car 368 6
- Funding Circle experience 174 3
- Tax on free shares 166 5
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 500
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 463
- Employment related securities question 327
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 287
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 243
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162