Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,409 423
- PRR 30 1
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 23 1
- Pension Contributions Relief 409 13
- References for clients 114 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 181 5
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 996 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 99 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 35 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 299 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 73 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 277 1
- corp tax software 291 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 192 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 157 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 560 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 349 16
- Is this fraud? 561 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 97 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 282 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,291
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 162
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 147
- CIS paid under reg 9 133