Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Capital Gain? 404 11
- IHT Query 60 2
- Reversing out RTI 110 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 295 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 844 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 298 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 269 6
- BrightPay 610 18
- Classic cars investment 239 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 217 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 320 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 336 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 270 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 267 2
- H&W company 227 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 197 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 171 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 176 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 808 32
- VAT silly question 2,414 56
- Benchmarking 494
- Possible Partnership? 437
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 412
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 411
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 357
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 212
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 209
- Clubs and Taxable Income 199
- Income tax on foreign dividends 192
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 186