Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 357 11
- Real names 850 29
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 207 4
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 153 1
- Theatre as charitable company 106 2
- Fixed Assets 124 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 242 2
- CGT on Sale of shop 140 2
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 150 1
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 348 12
- Dividend payment date 2,018 36
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 517 14
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 96 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 234 7
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 355 1
- Capital Gains Tax 230 6
- Well well well 508 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 193 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 185 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 266 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 572
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 440
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 344
- IFA incorporation 327
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 306
- Sorry ignore me 269
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 263
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 249
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 249
- Cancelled 186