Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,199 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 208 4
- Fastest Software 647 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 94 1
- Where did it go? 227 2
- cancellation of Engagement 127 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 85 1
- Feuding directors 239 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 96 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 483 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,895 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 608 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 230 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 91 1
- Benefit fraud 3,418 49
- SA Tax Returns 152 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 139 2
- Consolidated accounts 122 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,024 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 244
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 198
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 167
- Trust for Employee 152
- Expat pension contributions? 149
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 134
- Capital allowances 121