Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 102 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 37 1
- ICPA 406 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 653 10
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 132 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 512 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 156 3
- Delayed option to tax 169 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 188 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 828 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 328 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 410 7
- Redundancy Pay 319 4
- question about merging two companies... 194 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 432 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 231 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 496 5
- VAT charged on non-VAT Invoice 303 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,237 20
- Submit P11D for 2014 2015 with no Paye Scheme in place 226 3
- Sainsbury's mangement 817
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 643
- Calling franchise accountants 629
- Continuity Agreement 625
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 320
- Advice please! 226
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 211