Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 19 1
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,051 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 950 11
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 176 10
- Buying a horse?? 204 8
- What's in a name ? 1,104 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 211 2
- Audit 315 8
- Awkward IP 1,387 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 785 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 485 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 629 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 774 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,114 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 140 1
- carry back of gift aid 194 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 310 8
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 258 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 571 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 254 3
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 433
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 270
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 210
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154