Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Scams are not always obvious 532 14
- Taxation of rental income 72 1
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 113 5
- Market Value/Connected Persons 125 6
- Directors loan 1,370 9
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 541 14
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 91 1
- New company formation and equity 138 3
- Previously dormant company now medium sized - does it need an audit? 100 1
- Cells from many sheets 85 1
- Tax planning, transferring BTL property to company 201 5
- Forming a Holding Company 145 2
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 88 1
- OMB contractor company making himself redundant 216 3
- Design your ideal tax department 553 16
- Investment company 147 4
- Quickbooks Online 472 5
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 241 4
- received new employee info late:-( 336 3
- SA penalties for directors not registered for self assessment 3,680 46
- New Fangled Penalties 1,035
- Moving away from CCH software 897
- Recruitment agencies 520
- QROP pension input amounts 406
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 360
- Deemed Employment Payment 339
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 300
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 213
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 191