Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- SA302's anyone?? 597 17
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 73 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 342 12
- Cash in Hand 98 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 148 4
- Busines software 144 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 192 6
- Converting a barn for business use 184 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 305 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 312 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 477 10
- are receipts needed? 607 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 299 3
- Bookkeping software 719 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 268 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 657 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 318 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 268 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 126 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 909
- International interest certificate 521
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 321
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 268
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 183
- P11D benefit received by widow 161
- EXACT ONLINE 157
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 152