Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,219 46
- Do I pay VAT back to employer for my training?? 50 3
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 290 11
- White van man 894 27
- FYAs on second-hand vans 67 5
- VAT Margin Schemes 71 1
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 89 4
- Investment from Friend 266 11
- VAT registration transfer 54 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 194 7
- US-UK pension problem 141 3
- Limited Companies Merger 78 3
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 281 1
- Treatment of income for sole trader 319 3
- Company dividends 674 23
- Serious help with shutting down company I started as a kid? 214 3
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 184 4
- UK LTD Company to start working in Norway 97 2
- How to value a business asset? 180 4
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 458 15
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 891
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 588
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 557
- Latest phishing scam 497
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 363
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 332
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 262
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 180
- Capital allowances in first basis period 168
- Sabbatical payments 162