Client purchased and lived in home 'A' for a year while working self-employed (he's not a builder).
Due to lack of work client then did some property improvements on home A to 'fill a year when I had little work on but had some savings and time to invest'.
Time goes on.
Client manages to get a loan to purchase property 'B'
Spent lots of time doing it up (as it was a wreck) before finally moving into it.
Lived in house A all the time until B was complete and habitable - then moved into house B and put house A on the market.
House A was purchased in March 2006 for £200,000.
House B was purchased in October 2008.
Client moved into House B early 2011.
House A marketed for sale from time house B was occupied. Never been rented out, still empty, on market at a reduced price of £300,000.
If there is a gain on house A (I don't know as I don't have all the figures), do I have a problem with PPR relief and CGT on house A or do we just have to write to HMRC explaining the situation and the timeline, as it's now over two years since the purchase of house B?
Or am I worrying un-necessarily?
Any comments gratefully received.
- Share transfer question 260 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 399 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 192 5
- New Employers Helpline 123 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 212 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,278 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 182 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 185 4
- VAT Query 174 2
- Sacked my first client 644 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 410 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 218 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,264 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 140 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,075 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 269 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 230 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 420
- WIP Software 287
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187