Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- are receipts needed? 260 8
- How to? 99 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 113 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 564 19
- New accountant 320 6
- Loss Relief 86 1
- Tax case reference request 165 2
- Working out a daily rate 242 6
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 156 2
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,395 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 479 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 103 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 97 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 207 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 219 5
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 470 27
- Sage 50 202 2
- sole trader - operating under cis 241 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,985 65
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 802 28
- Skandia using wrong address 1,582
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 880
- International interest certificate 491
- NOVA 344
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 267
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 252
- Management expenses for investment company 239
- Bonus Bonds 234
- Help with tax codes on Sage 183
- Capital reduction 169