Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Care Home - Job Price 268 5
- Fee headache 432 4
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 208 6
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 217 4
- India Capital Gain 114 1
- Dormant payroll 725 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 97 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 287 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,488 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 111 1
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 517 11
- This feels wrong.... 1,564 21
- Overlap relief 385 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 191 2
- To correct incorrect NBV in previous year accounts 283 10
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 196 3
- P11D Rejection 272 7
- Directors loans 264 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief:: share disposals after leaving the company 267 5
- Has anyone else tried Iris paperless working papers for audit exempt companies 304 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 502
- Theatre Tax Relief 407
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 322
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 304
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 277
- Perkbox 228
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 222
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 218
- Document Management Systems 190
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 187