Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 177 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 200 5
- are receipts needed? 196 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 453 27
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 15 1
- Sage 50 174 2
- New accountant 176 5
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 45 1
- sole trader - operating under cis 217 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,935 65
- Tax case refeence request 94 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 781 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 221 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,903 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 240 5
- Working out a daily rate 159 5
- Auto enrolment 1,239 13
- Payroll dates 135 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 284 8
- Withholding of tax 104 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,575
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 872
- International interest certificate 481
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 259
- Management expenses for investment company 230
- Bonus Bonds 228
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 224
- Help with tax codes on Sage 172
- Capital reduction 164