Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Pattern for CTA 248 5
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 138 3
- PAYE versus Dividends 163 3
- Employee or partner 29 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 189 5
- The Cotter Case 187 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 131 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 146 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 77 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 941 16
- Sole Trader business 155 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 148 1
- Giving a seminar 686 36
- Tax position on lease extension 181 1
- Boffin of the Year 307 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 223 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 240 4
- Sage Depreciation 85 1
- Non sequitur 256 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,309
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 643
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 335
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 264
- Alphabet shares 222
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 156