Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- minority interest discount 141 4
- Software Sales 74 2
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 330 10
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 305 5
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 259 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 331 8
- vat gross margins 120 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,568 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 153 1
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 545 8
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 184 4
- On to a loser here? 1,148 4
- Client right to working papers 1,351 9
- 2020 Annual Conference 141 1
- Microsoft One Drive 442 14
- Thinning income 380 4
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 164 2
- Work to Rented Business Premises 212 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,195 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 400 11
- NHS finance professionals 601
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 336
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 328
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 308
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 275
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 244
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 237
- IFA income recognition & reporting 201