Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- This is getting boring 80 2
- Legal title not in the company name 409 15
- VAT - Recharge 146 5
- CIC Company 575 10
- Employment Allowance 285 4
- transitioning payroll 294 9
- dividend proposals 204 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 280 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,861 61
- NALS Accountants Report 188 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,539 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 212 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 543 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 920 19
- Opening Balances 120 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 225 2
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,405 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 335 4
- Dividend dates 590 10
- Sole properietor 260 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 627
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 316
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 291
- Probiz 276
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 244
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 208
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 179