Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Errors in prior year accounts 565 17
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 769 11
- Luncheon vouchers - Class 1 NICs 72 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 209 3
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 207 1
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 306 1
- Best apps for clients 545 5
- Is anyone selling the CIOT manual essential law for the tax practitioners? 114 1
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 299 3
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 128 2
- Client Death 424 7
- Consolidated Accounts Software 207 3
- Peer to Peer lending 308 7
- Loan to realted parties 150 3
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 80 1
- monthly payments 253 3
- Related party disclosures 109 2
- Loan from one LTD co. to another LTd Co. 124 1
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 173 2
- Free Shares ? 150 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 592
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 464
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 362
- Sorry ignore me 355
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 292
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 270
- Cancelled 218
- Cancelled 193
- C79 Discrepancy 153
- Bartercard 153