Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- PI cover 227 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 208 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 933 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 723 26
- Profit split from an investment property 156 6
- The importance of Grammar 1,305 39
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,412 39
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 105 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,247 10
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 159 3
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 130 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 274 6
- tax saving on card points 238 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 261 9
- Scissors 881 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 440 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 457 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 262 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 126 2
- Xero Pain Points 506 17
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 372
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 307
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 296
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 161