Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 731 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,144 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 694 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 52 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 248 8
- recompense capital input 187 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 102 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 223 2
- CT losses carry back 89 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 546 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 154 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 761 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 416 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,272 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 136 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 183 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 226 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 989 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 210 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 256 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 562
- Pensions Regulator 454
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 330
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 299
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183