Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Transfer of stock 72 4
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 309 9
- PPR election time limit - change in the number of residences 43 1
- Virtually Impossible 269 6
- Personal allowance for non-resident 68 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,542 114
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 139 2
- Brightpay 82 1
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 172 5
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 45 1
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,077 8
- Newly Started Practice 577 12
- SSP days and Holidays 137 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 531 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 345 7
- error on companies house accounts 526 14
- Is there a reporting requirement? 140 1
- Clients 409 6
- Home to Office 271 5
- Investment property? 181 3
- QROP pension input amounts 485
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 460
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 428
- EPS and CIS deductions 276
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- Construction CIS LLP Company 261
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 222
- SAGE winforecast 189
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 183
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174