Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,198 17
- Clothing 526 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 747 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 160 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 173 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 100 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 351 16
- Designated sole Residence 150 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 726 15
- Anyone know what this is? 258 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 904 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 526 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 272 9
- no utr 298 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,139 49
- Director drawings 610 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 297 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 91 1
- Capital Loss 137 3
- LLP formed in 2013 108 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 954
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 677
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 623
- Latest phishing scam 598
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 437
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 326
- Scratch Head 265
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 256
- Sabbatical payments 218
- Negligible Value Claim 197