Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- PPR posers 211 5
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,001 43
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 256 5
- RTI penalties coming in from 6/10/14 109 4
- Does anyone use quotation software? 242 4
- VAT on Imports 64 2
- Fees for Property Tax Return 384 8
- Corp Tax Refund 77 1
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 641 17
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,540 466
- employment capital allowances 191 1
- Direct Debit - no receipts 351 6
- Use of home expenses Rent calculation 214 1
- Can't read my handwriting 413 9
- Annual PAYE schemes - Moneysoft 126 2
- Who is a Minister of Religion for Tax Purposes? 127 1
- corp tax software 833 11
- Audit partner? 149 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,574 71
- Overnight subsistence 149 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,354
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 502
- National Insurance 389
- Non Resident 309
- Hands on experience of Digita 232
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 208
- Employer's Helpline 181
- CIS paid under reg 9 170
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 142
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 135