Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 936 29
- You know its over 299 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 481 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 201 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 155 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 141 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 210 3
- Cocaine anyone? 493 8
- Late Registration for VAT 477 13
- EIS/SEIS 134 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 267 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 408 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 414 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 702 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 549 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 580 4
- Personal pension 396 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,212 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 162 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 452
- corporate hierarchy 432
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 222
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 173
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171