Practical corporation tax advice on disposal of trade
A limited company operated a trade as a retail seller of ladies clothing from leasehold shop premises. The company’s normal accounting reference date is 31 December.
On 18 August 2011 the company sold the business and received payment for goodwill, leasehold, stock and fixtures.
The company has a further leasehold interest in office accommodation, which some years ago became surplus to its own requirements. These premises are sublet, rent receivable being exactly equal to rent payable.
My questions are as follows:
- In calculating the company’s profits chargeable to corporation tax, do I need to do so for the period 1 January to 18 August 2011, treating the latter date as the end of a corporation tax accounting period, because of the disposal of the retail trade on that date?
- If that is the case and the company’s accounting date remains 31 December, another corporation tax accounting period would presumably have started on 19 August and ended on 31 December 2011. I assume that during this period, and in future years, the company is a close investment company, since its only source of income is rent receivable from the sublet.
- Assuming that the above is correct, i.e. that there are two separate corporation tax accounting periods, is there a practical way to divide income and expenditure between the two periods? Clearly all retail sales, costs of sales and leasehold shop costs would be included in the period to 18 August, but would it be acceptable to divide rent receivable and all other overhead expenses between the two periods on a time-apportionment basis?
- Am I missing anything else?!!!
Many thanks for any guidance and assistance.
- Client Paperwork Retention? 141 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,293 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,365 19
- Reimbursing director travel costs 257 3
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 312 2
- Friday Question 483 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 375 8
- Independent Examination work programme 95 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 528 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 213 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 219 7
- Employers NI allowance 175 2
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 287 5
- Auto Enrolment 232 2
- Tax Point as opposed to VAT point 190 2
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,916 30
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 203 2
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 249 7
- Swimming Pool Income 350 4
- Coming off flat rate VAT 320 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 488
- DTA tie-breaker issue 291
- CGT for NOn UK residents 259
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 241
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 236
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 228
- Apprenticeship Levy 227
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 216
- Just checking re PSA 210
- Capital Gains personal representatives 203