Practice Start Up/Career
I qualified as ACA last year, member from Jan this year. Previously did AAT. I am currently working as a (unrecognised - pay/nor contract reflects it) manager for a partner in my current firm. Whilst i have enjoyed the challenge and change of the manager role, it's now becoming a little boring, as everything i do goes through the partner, i am unable to meet clients etc, and am starting to feel i have nothing to put in the effort for. Perhaps i should say also that over the last few months most of the work/letters/advice etc i've completed and passed to the partner has come back to me unchanged, ready to be sent to the client, so i feel like i'm giving the advice yet the partner gets the credit. I am at a crossroads and wondering what to do next career wise, whether to sit it out in current firm and hope a better position arises, to look for other jobs, or whether to start up by myself.
Starting up by myself appeals to me quite a lot, i like the flexibility of it, and i'm not afraid of the hard work as it will be worth it, to call it my own. However i believe i have to wait until i've been a member 2 years before i can get my practicing certificate? which is not so good. Also i'd be interested to know from anyone else who has started their own practice as to how much capital i would need to start up...roughly. I appreciate it's a bit of an unknown quantity. I currently have around £20k in savings, however am due to get married next year, so there's also potential house buying etc to consider in spending that money. Also, what other things would i need to think about, PII, getting new office equipment, software etc?
Any advice or comments on things to think about would be greatly appreciated.
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 200 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 395 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 66 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,359 42
- How much of your work is admin? 619 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 103 1
- Nominal Ledger 385 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 564 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 187 2
- Old CGT loss 204 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 168 3
- Paper tax return 153 4
- Start up allowance? 374 12
- Will I need to resign? 187 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 246 3
- AIA or IFA 453 7
- Surely not? 458 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 642 9
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 360 7
- Late Registration for VAT 363 11