Practice Start Up/Career
I qualified as ACA last year, member from Jan this year. Previously did AAT. I am currently working as a (unrecognised - pay/nor contract reflects it) manager for a partner in my current firm. Whilst i have enjoyed the challenge and change of the manager role, it's now becoming a little boring, as everything i do goes through the partner, i am unable to meet clients etc, and am starting to feel i have nothing to put in the effort for. Perhaps i should say also that over the last few months most of the work/letters/advice etc i've completed and passed to the partner has come back to me unchanged, ready to be sent to the client, so i feel like i'm giving the advice yet the partner gets the credit. I am at a crossroads and wondering what to do next career wise, whether to sit it out in current firm and hope a better position arises, to look for other jobs, or whether to start up by myself.
Starting up by myself appeals to me quite a lot, i like the flexibility of it, and i'm not afraid of the hard work as it will be worth it, to call it my own. However i believe i have to wait until i've been a member 2 years before i can get my practicing certificate? which is not so good. Also i'd be interested to know from anyone else who has started their own practice as to how much capital i would need to start up...roughly. I appreciate it's a bit of an unknown quantity. I currently have around £20k in savings, however am due to get married next year, so there's also potential house buying etc to consider in spending that money. Also, what other things would i need to think about, PII, getting new office equipment, software etc?
Any advice or comments on things to think about would be greatly appreciated.
- property capital gains 143 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 132 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,155 13
- Tips on meals 172 2
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 513 10
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 153 3
- Personal Tax 725 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 167 2
- Stumped - IHT 136 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 409 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 473 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,283 33
- Credit management tools 140 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 771 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 395 7
- CGT and primary residence 174 1
- Marriage Allowance 274 3
- S455 and February year ends 330 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 889 18
- Closing down loss-making company 458 5