Practice Start Up/Career
I qualified as ACA last year, member from Jan this year. Previously did AAT. I am currently working as a (unrecognised - pay/nor contract reflects it) manager for a partner in my current firm. Whilst i have enjoyed the challenge and change of the manager role, it's now becoming a little boring, as everything i do goes through the partner, i am unable to meet clients etc, and am starting to feel i have nothing to put in the effort for. Perhaps i should say also that over the last few months most of the work/letters/advice etc i've completed and passed to the partner has come back to me unchanged, ready to be sent to the client, so i feel like i'm giving the advice yet the partner gets the credit. I am at a crossroads and wondering what to do next career wise, whether to sit it out in current firm and hope a better position arises, to look for other jobs, or whether to start up by myself.
Starting up by myself appeals to me quite a lot, i like the flexibility of it, and i'm not afraid of the hard work as it will be worth it, to call it my own. However i believe i have to wait until i've been a member 2 years before i can get my practicing certificate? which is not so good. Also i'd be interested to know from anyone else who has started their own practice as to how much capital i would need to start up...roughly. I appreciate it's a bit of an unknown quantity. I currently have around £20k in savings, however am due to get married next year, so there's also potential house buying etc to consider in spending that money. Also, what other things would i need to think about, PII, getting new office equipment, software etc?
Any advice or comments on things to think about would be greatly appreciated.
- Termination Payment 451 15
- Company Share Buy Back 324 8
- P11D Car Value 72 2
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,258 11
- Business lending another business money (UK) 235 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,966 30
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 284 5
- bookkeeping system 668 9
- Legal advisor recommendation please 167 3
- HMRC Postal Delays 264 7
- Landing clients 694 21
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 540 6
- Signed accounts for bank 521 10
- Non-Taxable Expenses Reimbursement 124 3
- Time to react ? ? ? 663 6
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 146 2
- Dividends 148 3
- Closure of PAYE scheme 136 1
- cash the returned VAT cheque 331 3
- Rent a room for half a year, fully let for the other half? 129 1