Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 107 1
- Which software for practice books? 303 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 124 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,627 33
- Accountant software 287 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 444 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 79 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 420 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 229 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,882 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 75 1
- Renting property to yourself 319 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 386 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 102 4
- register as self employed? 122 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 143 1
- VAT enquiry 92 1
- Write off of former director's loan 238 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 262 4
- Capital gain or not? 147 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 642
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 233
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 183
- Tax efficient holding company structure 175
- Investment property company accounts template 162
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 157