Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 90 2
- signature required 889 32
- Form VAT 600 FRS 79 1
- VAT Office Grimsby 182 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 147 5
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 438 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 142 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 301 3
- Payment plans for clients 266 3
- CT600 254 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 315 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 82 1
- Lease 136 4
- Free invoicing software 500 4
- Digita Hosted Software 396 4
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,320 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 181 5
- Thin Client recomendation 230 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 192 5
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 122 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,303
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 544
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 226
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 174
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 155
- Sole trader CPD 145