Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Value pricing 2,125 93
- Accountancy software for an imac 162 4
- Treatment of deferment duty in the correct accounting period 97 2
- CVA guidance 78 1
- LLP members share of profits 360 20
- SDLT on land 101 4
- Payroll Charging too much Tax? 214 2
- Can UK ACCA Practice prepare accounts for Indian company? 125 2
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 216 3
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 1,984 20
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 566 15
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 411 13
- PAYE Coding Notices 456 7
- March RTI Submission 138 1
- VT accounts licence key 547 9
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 84 1
- Renewable Heat Incentive Income - Taxable? 110 1
- VAT Option to tax 249 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 104 2
- Current tax asset 140 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 880
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 614
- Free Tax Legislation? 362
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 354
- Director Loan account operation 353
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 312
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 299
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 284
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 272
- Paye procedures for CVA 203