Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Company buy back of shares from directors 120 6
- Cash basis 105 5
- Cash basis 761 28
- Please tell me what to do!! 158 4
- 5th April 130 3
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 252 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,964 32
- Investor exit 226 4
- client threatening legal action 2,273 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 109 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 212 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 333 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,559 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 540 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 326 9
- Rental income 131 2
- s455 Directors loan 189 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 70 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,186 8
- Non resident capital gains 94 1
- Skandia using wrong address 603
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 325
- Employee rewards 302
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 272
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 199
- LLP in Construction Industry 163
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 151
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 140
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 133