Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 543 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 618 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,242 45
- practice planning 159 3
- Accounts Software 714 19
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 241 9
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 499 14
- Dividend Vouchers 380 5
- Gift to employee 414 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 163 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 154 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,121 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 188 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 160 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,666 10
- Which address 1,080 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 617 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,527 17
- R&D tax claim 265 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 555 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 489
- CTA study material 467
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 339
- Pre incorp expenses 324
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 275
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 265
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 214
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 169
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 141
- Employment related securities question 129