Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 338 8
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 132 3
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 212 3
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 170 2
- Company Van 297 8
- VAT underpayment 98 4
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 945 19
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 387 10
- Connected person and properties 178 4
- Business only use of company car 1,608 35
- cash basis 139 1
- Restoring a Ltd company which had been struck off 322 8
- question 291 2
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 727 13
- Overlap profits 421 14
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 830 11
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,351 12
- HMRC Security Deposit 480 12
- Invoicing for monthly clients 396 7
- Company investment 879 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 388
- Any thoughts on Capium? 356
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 279
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 242
- French ConnectionUK 192
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 183
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 177
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 175
- APN's 163