Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,724 25
- Car benefit or not? 2,499 25
- substantial shareholding exemption 141 1
- Land Registry 380 5
- Sole Trader or Ltd Company 209 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 471 9
- Large director's pension contribution 556 8
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 97 1
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 262 4
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 348 12
- Appropriate mileage allowance rate for privately leased car 108 3
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 173 5
- Company Structure 629 16
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 481 8
- Best software for small practice? 741 21
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,804 40
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 329 7
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 178 6
- Cloud-based email services? 727 13
- Disclosure of client assets under IFRS 106 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 787
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 237
- Apprenticeship Levy 213
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 202
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 196
- Just checking re PSA 189
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186