Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Unallocated client money 433 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,014 41
- Errors in prior year accounts 887 24
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,457 26
- Expenses Apps 258 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,698 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 558 10
- VAT & capitalising 159 3
- Final year's accounts 185 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 371 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 328 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 328 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 294 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 169 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,001 36
- Invoice Help 268 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 211 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 276 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 262 3
- Sorry ignore me 936 24
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 193
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 175
- What's the market like for temps? 169