Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Paper 87 6
- Giving investment company to spouse 29 1
- Recommendations for in house accounts prep software? 73 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 360 14
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 238 5
- Xero Pain Points 317 14
- Tainted donation by company 165 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 657 8
- HMRC incompetency 193 1
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 624 10
- HMRC site down ? 246 5
- Tax Codes and VAT 214 3
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 191 3
- The importance of Grammar 1,006 25
- VAT REGISTATIONS 235 5
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,893 65
- Moneysoft - technical query 405 10
- System selection 187 2
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 506 21
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 355 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 303
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 283
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 275
- Electric Car 231
- S222 Charge 204
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 201
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 193
- Company Structure 181