Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Were you asked to pay to sign off your ACCA PCTR by your Principle? 35 1
- 100% Xero practice 2,123 35
- Vat treatment of charity business income 115 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 871 18
- Company Accounts 135 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,203 343
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 190 6
- Donations (to a school!) 434 11
- Vat on Royalites 86 1
- Umbrella Company 146 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 436 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 84 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 167 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 433 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 179 3
- property rental income split 258 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 468 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 144 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 107 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,281 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,189
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 405
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 311
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 238
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 223
- Franchise income and costs 205
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 167