Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 119 2
- how do i get UTR 85 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 63 2
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 73 1
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 209 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 296 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 86 1
- Your comments please 284 6
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 303 5
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 171 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 98 2
- EIS 188 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 84 2
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 96 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 103 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 104 1
- CGT history of shares 150 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 705 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 196 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 129 2
- Moving away from CCH software 962
- QROP pension input amounts 448
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 392
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 374
- fraud 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 272
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 224
- EPS and CIS deductions 218
- Out of time or not? 202