Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 204 3
- Go Cardless 317 9
- SA302 266 5
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 181 3
- Hmrc software 211 3
- Mehjoo 264 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 104 1
- Hosted email exchange 170 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 160 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 276 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 304 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 240 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 146 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 281 7
- New Email Extensions 192 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 312 2
- Dental practice incorpration 154 1
- Audit rules 177 4
- business entertaining deductibility 182 1
- Xtuple 508
- Qtac payroll for bureau 343
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 290
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 172
- Domain name sale and limited company 167
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 161
- CIS schemes 160
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 140