Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Benefit in Kind 223 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 58 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 217 10
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 37 1
- Wrong tax code 128 5
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,045 31
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 637 11
- Deferred Tax 455 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 201 1
- You know its over 470 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 240 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 141 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 220 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,263 14
- Cocaine anyone? 609 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 140 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 300 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 495 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,304 8
- Hive up 508
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 450
- Advice - 288
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 235
- WWOOFers 229
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 161