Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Knuckle down one week to go! 28 1
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 89 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 630 28
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 352 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 601 11
- calculate mortgage interest 173 1
- Auto enrolment 1,651 27
- AIA 228 5
- Depreciation 210 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 166 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 242 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 199 3
- client can't/won't pay 490 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 233 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 263 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 278 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,199 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 295 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 241 5
- HMRC SA software error? 219 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 799
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245