Pre-2006 A & M Trust
An A & M Settlement was created in 1992 for four beneficiaries, grandchildren of the Settlor.
The trustees now wish to transfer the assets to the beneficiaries and wind up the Settlement.
As was typical, the beneficiaries were given a right to income with effect from their 25th birthdays, with the Trustees given a right to hand over the capital absolutely when they see fit, subject to (what was then) the 80 year limit.
The beneficiaries were all born in the 1970s and turned 25 before the 2006-2008 changes in Trust rules.There have been no changes in the structure or the beneficiaries since inception.
Am I right, therefore, in thinking that the Settlement in question should now be regarded simply as a pre-2006 Interest in Possession Trust for CGT/IHT purposes? This would mean that there would be no Section 260 hold-over relief on the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries, so there might be CGT to pay. On the other hand, we would not be looking at an IHT exit charge?
Thanking you in advance.
- Was I rude 718 18
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 118 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 151 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 138 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 279 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 198 1
- Top slicing relief question 221 2
- Valuation of PET on death 92 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 236 6
- Share swap 285 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 79 1
- Online filing 140 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 324 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,680 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 100 2
- Converting a barn for business use 86 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 231 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 112 2
- Joint rental income 121 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 333 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,474
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 807
- Any views 726
- International interest certificate 444
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 415
- Sale of business 386
- NOVA 279
- IRIS Open Books problem 279
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 195
- Expenses claim for non employee 183