Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,478 39
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 161 4
- PITA client 178 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 346 9
- What are options for non CA firm 2,613 56
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,303 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 732 15
- Dividend dates 473 8
- R&D tax credit claim 204 5
- CIS Deductions 268 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 97 1
- is this fraud? 774 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 482 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,518 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 212 5
- Not a good start no broadband 486 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 174 2
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 219 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 89 1
- Intrastat triangulation 74 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 595
- Cancelled 344
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 239
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 180
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 173
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151