Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Late leaver notification 305 6
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 92 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 69 2
- How does one compete? 360 7
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 859 15
- Self explanatory? I hope so! 123 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,074 44
- semi retirement 235 4
- ATT Exam Question 220 6
- FPS responses ... 146 4
- shareholder remuneration 236 9
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 313 3
- Where has Portia gone? 9,069 144
- proposed dividends 323 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,480 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 432 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 107 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 338 7
- What does PITA mean? 717 17
- VATable supplies 147 3
- Sanzar 471
- Digital marketing focus group 388
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 362
- Continuity Agreement 307
- Sainsbury's mangement 294
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 294
- Avanti Accounts 287
- Buyback 273
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 216
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 187