Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Goods Purchased for Rental 341 12
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 649 23
- Myfirmsapp 593 13
- Valuation of business 242 4
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 98 4
- Dividend Payments 341 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 48 2
- I.d for vat registration 103 6
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 267 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 145 3
- CIS Deductions 94 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,632 40
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 115 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 468 17
- Legal Counsel PC costs 64 1
- High Income Child Benefit 123 2
- Fees for sale 353 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,613 24
- Share premium or Directors Loan 653 28
- Taxfiler V's BTC 490 18
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,007
- International interest certificate 586
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 506
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 354
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 327
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 225
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 221
- Quickbooks 2015 145