Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Do I need to see receipts ? 721 11
- ICPA 477 8
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 191 1
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 279 3
- Physiotherapy 36 1
- Changing shareholding ratio 114 3
- Community Interest Company 56 1
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 114 1
- SA1 forms 360 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 136 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 122 1
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 147 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 540 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 174 3
- Delayed option to tax 184 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 868 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 374 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 430 7
- Redundancy Pay 364 4
- question about merging two companies... 211 1
- Sainsbury's mangement 824
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 650
- Calling franchise accountants 631
- Continuity Agreement 626
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 322
- Advice please! 231
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 216