Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Adding shop sales to sage 73 4
- What does the "K" signify 219 6
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,078 42
- Self assesment online 66 1
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 290 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 348 10
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 93 3
- Interest Relief 106 3
- Entrepreneurs' relief 452 1
- Amend tax return? 147 3
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 709 26
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 352 7
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 165 4
- client can't/won't pay 1,654 30
- calculate mortgage interest 391 6
- Self Assessment and P11D 220 6
- Petty cash 84 1
- HMRC SA302s 116 2
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,844 92
- self assessment repayment requesto 569 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 887
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 587
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 549
- Latest phishing scam 484
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 359
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 328
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 254
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 252
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 176
- Capital allowances in first basis period 162