Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Bulk Invoicing 154 6
- directors control and tax problems 53 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 164 5
- What would you do in this situation? 489 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 126 3
- Help Required 279 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 223 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 392 14
- What's in a name ? 233 4
- ATED Penalties 260 1
- late second payment on account 153 2
- US royalties 79 2
- Project being run jointly 125 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 177 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 173 3
- Sole trader mix up 291 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 735 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 893 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 210 4
- Filing company accounts 136 1
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 422
- Employment related securities question 264
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 197
- Trust for Employee 184
- Expat pension contributions? 181
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 158
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 118