Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 40 2
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 135 2
- Company assets 336 15
- Self assessment 134 1
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 118 2
- Claiming VAT 98 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,095 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 167 4
- MoneySoft 117 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 264 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 263 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 149 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 497 9
- Director resignation 736 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,795 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 155 1
- CIS Only Scheme 105 1
- No payroll scheme in place 343 1
- Xero Training 392 3
- SA Penalty 235 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 503
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 476
- Is there anything wrong with this? 278
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 264
- Uncommercial property business 241
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 203
- Registering online CWF1 183
- Accrued income scheme 178
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 174
- VAT - registration needed? 174