Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 170 5
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,489 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 119 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 307 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 240 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,240 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 376 6
- Go Cardless 389 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 339 3
- Mehjoo 339 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 165 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 424 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 202 4
- SA302 352 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 298 13
- Bringing money to Uk 307 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 223 4
- Hmrc software 268 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 212 1
- Hosted email exchange 198 5
- Xtuple 526
- Qtac payroll for bureau 358
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 302
- Industrial & Provident Societies 295
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 239
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 218
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 218
- Domain name sale and limited company 185
- CIS schemes 182
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 158