Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- General tax book with planning 161 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,221 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 289 11
- Gift of property & improvements 122 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 352 5
- VAT Invoice 151 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 808 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 130 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 223 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 196 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 156 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 457 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 380 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 262 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 190 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 168 4
- SA302's anyone?? 543 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,648 41
- Renting for military reasons 197 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 511
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 298
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 151