Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,016 33
- vat return 245 3
- Flat rate vat 72 1
- Payroo Employer allowance query 164 5
- Value pricing 711 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 146 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 174 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 283 4
- Reregister for VAT 130 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 197 6
- Weely paid employees 243 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 471 11
- Director's tax return 279 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 213 6
- Wrong career 475 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 287 7
- Laptop purchase 1,393 20
- PTP software disaster 279 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 232 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 103 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 798
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 416
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 294
- Free Tax Legislation? 266
- Director Loan account operation 245
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 240
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159