Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Market Value/Connected Persons 276 10
- Online Downtime 324 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 307 3
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 187 3
- FPS or EPS 59 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 761 31
- Personal allowance 657 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 153 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,921 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 113 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 427 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,109 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 305 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 384 10
- VAT on employee loan 300 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 961 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 171 2
- Accountants website 407 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 175 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 497 8
- Moving away from CCH software 941
- QROP pension input amounts 434
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 376
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 351
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 315
- fraud 274
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 244
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 216
- Construction CIS LLP Company 202
- EPS and CIS deductions 189