Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 346 5
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 198 3
- Incorporation of gp practise 119 1
- Love is in the air 369 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 246 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,996 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 275 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 528 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 553 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 298 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 321 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 370 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 425 6
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,719 20
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 421 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 257 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 523 1
- Paying Son 674 18
- HMRC accounting 407 3
- Employers NI allowance 473 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 273
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 217
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 210
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 190