Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 140 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,590 283
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 209 10
- Standard 'email' template system 870 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 451 9
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,020 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 211 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 78 1
- Circular shareholding 223 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 182 6
- business card address 290 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 210 2
- Declined for business bank account 208 4
- Loan to a related company 98 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 652 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 329 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 256 8
- property rental income split 121 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 134 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 104 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,112
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 365
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 239
- Payments on account coded out?? 228
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 220
- Non Resident 186
- Franchise income and costs 175
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 173