Previous accountant withholding primary records
Hi - thank you in advance for all advice.
I have two clients who have moved on from previous accountants and have not been able to get primary records back from them - ie bank statements, invoices, receipts, sales records etc.
In both cases, I highly suspect but cannot be certain that neither accountant was a member of a professional body. In one case the accountant has refused to pass back records until fees are settled. The client disputes the fees (naively agreed without written contract) and also suspects that the accountant has not maintained the bookkeeping as agreed.
My understanding is that the accountant can withhold the bookkeeping as this relates to the work he was paid to undertake but cannot withhold the primary records.
Can anyone confirm this?
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,231 16
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 16 1
- physiotherapy clinic 564 4
- Running two businesses from the same premises 130 2
- Legal fees selling rental property 164 2
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 17 1
- Deferred Tax 171 2
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 308 8
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,022 26
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,784 23
- Late Registration for VAT 175 5
- Registering a company late 241 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 281 4
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,927 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 102 2
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 100 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 422 7
- How much of your work is admin? 209 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,798 19
- Goodwill complications 161 2
- TheTax Donut 1,012
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 675
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 623
- Follower cases 489
- Limited company purchase of property 416
- Hive up 414
- corporate hierarchy 382
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 379
- LIVE chat, starting now 329
- AIA or IFA 212