Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- HMRC - Online services - Anyone else having problems ? 127 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,205 23
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 353 5
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 114 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 487 15
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,181 22
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 273 9
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 142 1
- . 254 4
- 31st october deadline 256 5
- Ltd Co / Summer House 217 1
- Client right to working papers 1,698 16
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,445 7
- wills 286 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 264 5
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 283 5
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,158 18
- HMRC Online Services Problems 505 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 461 12
- Self-employed 851 17
- NHS finance professionals 687
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 418
- Foreign Pension Contribution 387
- vat gross profit percentage margins 375
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 375
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 365
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 319
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 294
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 257
- IFA income recognition & reporting 217