Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,690 588
- Auto-Enrolment 3,358 162
- Rental Income Tax Planning 43 2
- What type of Trust? 73 1
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 73 1
- Dormant Company 94 2
- Property expense - legal fees 69 1
- Accounting for a VAT Group 85 2
- OBK 111 3
- Research expenses for authors 224 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 761 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 117 2
- Company Loan to associated company 58 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 142 5
- CLG exempt under s60 152 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 176 4
- How to consolidate an LLP? 226 7
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 189 4
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 547 2
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 101 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 452
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Employee rewards 238
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 189
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 185
- Etax Australian 154