Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Legal fees selling rental property 172 3
- Deferred Tax 193 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 40 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,243 16
- physiotherapy clinic 575 4
- Running two businesses from the same premises 149 2
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 35 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 314 8
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,025 26
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,791 23
- Late Registration for VAT 180 5
- Registering a company late 245 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 285 4
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,939 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 107 2
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 108 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 426 7
- How much of your work is admin? 260 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,802 19
- Goodwill complications 167 2
- TheTax Donut 1,012
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 678
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 624
- Follower cases 489
- Limited company purchase of property 416
- Hive up 415
- corporate hierarchy 382
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 379
- LIVE chat, starting now 330
- AIA or IFA 213