Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Non VAT invoices 152 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 167 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 250 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 153 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 280 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,370 32
- Fees 179 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 245 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 203 2
- Form 17 Download 117 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 543 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 987 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 269 3
- Accountant Specialization. 376 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,753 42
- Sage Line 50 172 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 194 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 455 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 398 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 413
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 205
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 183
- AIA 179
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177