Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Why should I retain membership? 2,657 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 165 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 320 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 123 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,251 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 384 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,454 18
- Vat 241 4
- CT/CIS offset 113 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 166 4
- Trade name 167 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 129 1
- New business - journal entries 309 20
- B2B vat in the EU 105 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 309 18
- VAT on deposits 203 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 126 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 403 12
- option to tax 203 1
- Share of profits from building society 102 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 778
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 706
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 386
- Social investment tax relief 205
- Digita Hosted Software 199
- Call Centre Data Costs 192
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 158
- Travel costs and contractors 150
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 143
- Certificates of tax deposit 136