Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 244 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 757 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,556 42
- CIC Company 385 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,652 57
- Is this a scam? 758 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 118 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 331 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 237 5
- New company - form a group? 158 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 177 4
- PITA client 221 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 368 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,314 33
- Dividend dates 491 8
- R&D tax credit claim 222 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 118 1
- is this fraud? 790 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 188
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 156