Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Payroo Employer allowance query 141 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,002 32
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 153 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 276 4
- Value pricing 690 24
- Reregister for VAT 126 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 195 6
- Weely paid employees 241 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 132 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 459 11
- Director's tax return 276 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 206 6
- Wrong career 472 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 280 7
- Laptop purchase 1,385 20
- PTP software disaster 269 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 226 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 102 2
- Tricky VAT question 185 1
- VT accounts licence key 274 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 796
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 415
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 293
- Free Tax Legislation? 264
- Director Loan account operation 244
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 239
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159