Principle Private Residence and sale of part of the garden
A mother and son have inherited a property 50/50.
Both own properties, however, for the sake of this issue, the son has elected to have his PPR at the inherited Property and declare his property as a buy to let.
Part of the Garden has the potential of being sold off for £130k as a building plot.
If the proceeds are split 50/50 then the mother will attract CGT on her half I assume. If all proceeds went to the son, then can this be avoided? There is the problem that the property will be sold at some point which will then raise another CGT issue (although we suspect the IHT valuation will be greater than the property sale due to the proximity of another house so this may not be the case).
My more simple solution is to transfer the mother's share to the son, it will cost a couple of thousand in stamp duty but then none of the potential pitfalls above seem to be in play.
Any feedback appreciated as usual.
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 181 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 293 6
- Charge out rates in London? 141 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 42 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 98 3
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 508 15
- pre letting expenses 145 2
- Expat working back in UK 89 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 81 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 399 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 272 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 95 3
- change of paye software 509 13
- Which software for practice books? 465 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 240 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 528 2
- share capital calculation 268 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 214 3
- Renting property to yourself 459 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,978 51
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 736
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 289
- How to format a stock book 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163