Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 106 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 325 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 211 3
- FreeAgent question 95 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 119 2
- CIS monthly returns 175 2
- Goodie bag 1,551 52
- Husband Wife let property 348 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 499 12
- Output tax for retailer 312 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 279 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 137 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 132 1
- CT600 Advice 128 1
- Fair Value Accounting 77 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 142 4
- can I approach clients ? 405 8
- Companies House Penalties 138 2
- Apostille documents 115 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 545 13
- Possible Partnership? 642
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 446
- Fuming! 381
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 317
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 255
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 227
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 176