Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Consolidation and Comparatives 40 2
- Ltd Company trading for 2 years not Registered for PAYE 64 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 429 22
- Not ANOTHER bogus HMRC email? 35 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 555 13
- Goodwill 106 4
- One off meeting new client 146 2
- Incorporation Relief 192 5
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 48 1
- Interest on loans between companies 74 2
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 194 2
- Filing company accounts – basis of trade 167 2
- Best apps for clients 766 6
- Unallocated client money 354 9
- change of office address 235 7
- Property initial recognition 58 1
- SAGE V12 120 2
- Errors in prior year accounts 749 19
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 227 5
- Expenses Apps 214 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 608
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 499
- Sorry ignore me 402
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 371
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 284
- Cancelled 259
- Cancelled 228
- Bartercard 190
- C79 Discrepancy 180
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 170