Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 125 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 151 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 321 6
- CGT history of shares 166 3
- CGT on sale of let property 99 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 163 2
- how do i get UTR 128 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 78 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 230 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 385 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 117 1
- Your comments please 306 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 183 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 114 2
- EIS 194 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 120 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 113 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 115 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 722 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 200 1
- Moving away from CCH software 965
- QROP pension input amounts 449
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 393
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 378
- fraud 302
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 274
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 227
- EPS and CIS deductions 220
- Out of time or not? 205