Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 116 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 118 1
- Instant CPD offer 280 4
- Cash basis 514 13
- Income from rent charged to business 120 2
- payroll software 365 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 439 5
- Statutory sick pay 308 4
- Dividend in specie 368 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 273 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 167 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 383 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,857 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 334 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 258 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 108 1
- Skandia using wrong address 573
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 306
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 306
- Employee rewards 288
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 254
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 187
- LLP in Construction Industry 155
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 131