Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,204 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,331 21
- CIS and Close Company 124 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 301 1
- VAT Option to tax 475 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 179 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 201 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 133 2
- Director leaving in month 1 162 2
- Ex Gratia payments 95 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 293 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 179 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 199 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 194 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 180 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 58 1
- EIS - connection through employment 98 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 253 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 68 1
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 234 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 915
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 643
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 402
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 345
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 191
- Pension Fixed Protection 163