Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- VAT Invoice 268 7
- VAT on sale of an Asset 124 1
- Cash in Hand 222 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 220 5
- are receipts needed? 651 17
- SA302's anyone?? 637 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 346 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 177 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 364 12
- Busines software 207 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 227 6
- Converting a barn for business use 195 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 328 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 336 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 507 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 358 3
- Bookkeping software 746 7
- Clogged Losses 295 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 292 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 677 10
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 913
- International interest certificate 527
- NOVA 376
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 339
- Management expenses for investment company 280
- Bonus Bonds 279
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 188
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 174
- EXACT ONLINE 174
- P11D benefit received by widow 171