Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Flat rate VAT 133 2
- Accounts Software 212 8
- Deduction from Salary 854 23
- National insurance contributions 109 1
- AWeb - download file 210 4
- Director Drawings 244 6
- Incorporated when they should not have 305 9
- Accountancy Career 359 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,389 22
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,717 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 142 1
- HMRC Agents Line 239 4
- calculation DTR restriction 101 1
- Company Director In Prison 483 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 111 1
- Charity work 257 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 300 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 286 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 243 7
- Collection or business assets 121 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 686
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 533
- Cancelled 431
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 363
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 330
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 206