Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- What sectors to target? 109 4
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 17 1
- Director drawings 224 16
- Childcare voucher schemes 27 1
- client can't/won't pay 1,848 40
- Interest Relief 151 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 474 28
- What is the treatment of gains on sale of Options granted in Belgium 29 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,567 54
- Rental losses 114 3
- Should i tell HMRC 1,561 14
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 289 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 144 3
- Charitable Company's Accounts 63 1
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 216 8
- Carrying forward self employment losses 176 8
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 536 19
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 123 3
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 98 2
- Balancing allowance/charge calculation on cessation of self-employment 60 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 900
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 599
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 569
- Latest phishing scam 525
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 371
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 338
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 278
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 197
- Capital allowances in first basis period 178
- Sabbatical payments 169