Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,171 41
- Flat Rate VAT 244 8
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 705 15
- Practice software 1,183 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 310 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 535 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 491 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 235 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 569 8
- Redundancy pay 323 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 235 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 262 5
- Servicing AE fees 184 2
- VAT Receipts 275 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 165 2
- P800 problems again 121 1
- Company accounts for £350 992 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 443 12
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 157 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 238 5
- FRS 101 Software 338
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 308
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 299
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 274
- French ConnectionUK 241
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 216
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 203
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 202
- APN's 187
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 184