Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Paid too much !! 70 1
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 52 1
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 407 16
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 35 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 32 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 465 15
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 144 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 730 11
- Sports Sponsorship 82 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 218 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 203 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 161 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,287 14
- Best software for small practice? 578 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,247 21
- HMRC Enquiry 458 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 189 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 284 4
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,451 16
- Long/Short Period of Account 189 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 763
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 452
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 222
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181