Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 190 1
- EC VAT 220 10
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 13 1
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 202 7
- Musician deductible expenses 77 1
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 387 17
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 86 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 569 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 84 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 276 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 138 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 531 11
- Flat rate vat error 334 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 534 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 291 14
- can I claim a per diem 274 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 142 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,385 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 251 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 120 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 844
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 509
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 322
- How to format a stock book 292
- Tax efficient holding company structure 234
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 230
- Investment property company accounts template 220
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 214
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 151