Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 190 7
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 81 4
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 504 12
- Companies House 54 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 91 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 364 7
- Company Pension Contributions 237 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 158 4
- Expenses allowable 125 3
- How to Value a Business 447 8
- Let Property Campaign 373 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 114 1
- Self employment trap - pension 332 3
- Awkward IP 602 9
- ESC A19 116 2
- When does my Property business start 259 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,529 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 862 19
- Preparing a consolidated TB 225 5
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,241 20
- CTA study material 593
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 590
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 364
- Employment related securities question 221
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 194
- ATED Penalties 192
- AIM Stocks and IHT 174
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 129
- Trust for Employee 124
- Expat pension contributions? 124