Pro Bono Accounting Help for non profits | America Steps up where the UK fails
Why is there no pro Bono Accounting help anywhere in the UK?
I've just spent a VERY fruitless three weeks searching for pro Bono Accounting support ANYWHERE in the UK (We are an entirely non profit shcools education project providing groundbreaking resources in media literacy and film (The fastest growing subject at GCSE and A level and Degree) and we have essentially given up. We have concluded it simply doesnt exist.
There is that old joke about lawyers at the bottom of the sea, yet ironically with organisations like LawWorks, finding a pro bono lawyer for you charity is a painless process. NOT so for accountants. Why is that? I've decided that its not lawyers that deserve the jokes after all.
In the end, and because I am currently teaching at one of the universities in Boston, Massachusetts, USA I thought I'd try the Small Business Alliance (SBA) and was staggered to find we could get immediate, free help, and so I'm going to take up that offer and hope the differences between UK and US abbreviated accounts are not too great.
Think about that for a moment. A 100% UK non profit with abbreviated accounts gets help from a US non profit organisation in a few minutes of discussion, and gets nowhere in a few weeks of phone calls to at least four dozen organisations (there isnt the scope to list them all here and perhaps that would not be fair to them)
I'd like to get some sort of debate going. I'm very disappointed in this situation. Please add your thoughts. But suffice to say that the UK accountancy industry needs to get its act together (that will generate a few grumpy replies I'm sure) and think about creating a genuinely free or mostly free central repository of accounting firms willing and indeed keen to "put something back" into the system.
If Lawyers can do it, come on guys, so can the accounting industry. Whether or not you agree "we're all in it together" SOMEBODY needs to set up a LawWorks for accounting. Its been on the cards for years now, bust still doesnt exist.
- Late leaver notification 115 4
- Vat on solicitors charges 117 4
- A little bit of politics 450 6
- Could i ask for a bit of help please. 236 6
- Filling in my self assessment 664 14
- Should small companies be audited? 979 41
- Mileage claim restriction 359 3
- Self Assessment employed and self employed 122 1
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,400 41
- Overlap profit 566 15
- What does PITA mean? 411 9
- career 343 2
- Help required please 457 10
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 458 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 219 3
- Vat to be Paid? 208 3
- CGT base cost 304 11
- Ultimate Controlling Party Disclosure Questions 250 5
- RSU and double taxation 151 1
- Can i really not unreconcile a vat return in sage? 185 1
- Sanzar 453
- Digital marketing focus group 376
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 336
- Continuity Agreement 289
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 272
- Sainsbury's mangement 266
- Buyback 263
- Avanti Accounts 243
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 200
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 172