Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Online filing 21 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 268 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 97 4
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 125 6
- Auto enrolment 358 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 307 3
- Share swap 250 6
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 90 1
- Threshold for RTI submission 54 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 163 2
- Was I rude 564 16
- Top slicing relief question no 2 134 3
- Maternity Pay 139 2
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 577 14
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 626 10
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 60 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,722 27
- Director's minimum wage? 240 4
- Advertising services? 308 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 312 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,472
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 801
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 438
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 410
- Sale of business 377
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 272
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 187
- Expenses claim for non employee 177