Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 163 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 257 3
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 108 2
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,561 14
- IHT dilemma 1,232 18
- Aweb tracking ... 162 3
- PAYE 1,155 16
- Entrepreneurs Relief 533 24
- Self Assessment - Declaring Pension Lump Sum on Tax Return 75 1
- Gifts from limited companies 138 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 349 8
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 330 2
- VAT 86 1
- RTI overpayments gap 226 3
- Can a once active Limited company become dormant? 196 5
- Sage payroll alternatives 549 11
- Call Centre Data Costs 276 1
- Authorised share capital 131 4
- international employer please help!! 183 4
- Capital gain? 294 6
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,121
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 785
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 471
- Digita Hosted Software 301
- Credit where credit's due....... 240
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 216
- Director phone costs 193
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 167
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 166
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 144