Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,750 25
- Value pricing 215 8
- Audit Required 88 2
- company secretarial software 138 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 131 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 60 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 186 1
- Rental Income 298 6
- Payroll 2012/13 100 1
- I have a pain 691 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 77 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 170 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 731 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 120 3
- Cash flow 146 2
- New use of home - simplified method 240 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 266 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 392 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,953 32
- Share restructure 335 12
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 730
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 499
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 343
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 341
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 262
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 198
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 183
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 175
- Director Loan account operation 146