Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 757 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 324 5
- Paying Son 760 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 395 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 683 18
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 279 10
- Love is in the air 623 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,061 47
- Setting up a practice 564 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 563 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 511 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 429 1
- Stamp Duty 305 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 243 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,832 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 412 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 592 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 593 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 423 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 404 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 296
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- Foreign domicile status 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 258
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 242
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 231
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 226