Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,461 31
- Is this fraud? 285 5
- Saying goodbye 404 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 818 36
- Tax on private fuel for own car 190 5
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 345 16
- Sportman claiming for training kit 991 11
- Flat rate scheme 162 3
- Drop box Storage 191 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 271 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,188 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 618 4
- Furnished lettings criteria 121 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 413 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 126 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 364 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 113 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 204 2
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 306 1
- Naming new company 200 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,270
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 352
- Non Resident 266
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 259
- Franchise income and costs 238
- Hands on experience of Digita 193
- Employer's Helpline 144
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 138
- employment capital allowances 135