Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Let Property Campaign 149 2
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 32 1
- What would you do? 319 2
- Taxable income for previous years 349 8
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 58 1
- Depreciation on purchase of software 133 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 178 3
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,296 16
- App recommendations 321 4
- Defend your local inspector? 616 7
- accountant in Bristol 497 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 757 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,130 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 703 9
- Resident and Non-resident 760 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 160 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 411 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 137 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 396 2
- Applying for clearance before 5 years share ownership 172 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 354
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 276
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 242
- Electric Car 193
- S222 Charge 183
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 171
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 171