Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 166 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 103 2
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 174 2
- UK property, split year non-UK reisdent help 61 1
- VAT on employee loan 343 6
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 146 3
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 275 9
- Auto enrolment 1,475 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 169 3
- Client's company struck off 602 17
- Extension of lease in flat management company 105 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 197 7
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 345 9
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 112 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 200 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 141 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 725 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 159 3
- Investment property? 105 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,650 23
- QROP pension input amounts 470
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 408
- fraud 340
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 258
- EPS and CIS deductions 248
- Construction CIS LLP Company 242
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 200
- SAGE winforecast 173
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 166