Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 238 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 218 14
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 191 10
- Incorporation Relief 79 1
- What type of Trust? 137 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 125 5
- OBK 571 19
- Instant CPD offer 118 2
- Dividend in specie 112 2
- Investor exit 101 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 88 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 156 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 76 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,711 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,749 26
- Sage error message 149 2
- Partially exempt? 177 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 526 5
- Mileage claim 260 9
- Proof of Delivery 260 8
- Skandia using wrong address 464
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 208
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 190
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 152