Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 145 4
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 326 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 277 8
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 118 5
- Accounting software integration with self assessment 70 1
- Excel query 161 4
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,060 15
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 163 3
- Agent authorisation for RTI filing 35 1
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,339 14
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 569 9
- Payment on account penalties 166 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,703 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 104 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 115 1
- Does IR35 apply? 116 1
- Sage data 118 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 426 9
- Limited company buying a car 368 6
- Funding Circle experience 175 3
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 500
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 463
- Employment related securities question 327
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 287
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 243
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162