Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,766 53
- Quickbooks or Xero or Kashflow? 350 7
- Property scam victim 401 10
- Allowable charity donation? 57 1
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 257 9
- Entries on SATR for Non Dom with unremitted income < £2k 57 2
- Website - Should I upgrade? 179 6
- Checking a contract 183 7
- Company Fuel - Reimbursement to avoid Benefit in Kind 161 7
- Giving a seminar 303 16
- which software to use? 205 4
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 1,275 24
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 205 5
- VAT on garage rent 272 13
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 389 15
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 131 2
- Pattern for CTA 116 2
- 10 year debentures and CT 107 4
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 143 2
- jury service 250 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,135
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 585
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 391
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 297
- Interest on Loan to a Company 195
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 179
- Agent fees to sell business 176
- Alphabet shares 171
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 162
- Residency 91 day rule 151