Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Project being run jointly 157 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 286 4
- Companies House 571 9
- Dress code 314 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 106 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 300 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 710 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,414 25
- What would you do in this situation? 583 13
- Help Required 366 10
- directors control and tax problems 223 5
- Fastest Software 783 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 950 28
- What's in a name ? 333 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 264 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 450 15
- Bulk Invoicing 185 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 165 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 254 2
- ATED Penalties 280 1
- CTA study material 709
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 432
- Employment related securities question 272
- AIM Stocks and IHT 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 206
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 192
- Trust for Employee 190
- Expat pension contributions? 189
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 181
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 163