Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Spousal transfer and PPR 611 23
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 525 16
- recompense capital input 119 5
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 46 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 696 19
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 86 1
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 408 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,195 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 104 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 178 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 205 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 214 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 975 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 181 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 241 5
- Merging my businesses 221 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 480 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 372 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 334 1
- Holiday entitlement 591 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 794
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 412
- Portia ... Where art thou 322
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183