Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- A little knowledge 289 6
- Digita in the cloud 121 2
- Tax relief when working away 51 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 933 36
- Self assessment for directors 75 1
- Tax relief when working away 152 3
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 244 9
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,304 20
- Designated sole Residence 235 5
- Scratch Head 336 1
- Year end 259 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 318 13
- Clothing 627 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 158 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 191 5
- Identity check problem 1,515 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 220 1
- Capital allowances on Software 239 2
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 140 3
- Company director and KIT days 139 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 962
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 685
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 611
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 448
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 266
- Sabbatical payments 227
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 214
- Negligible Value Claim 205