Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 62 1
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,163 10
- flat rate scheme 444 9
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,382 39
- Rental Expenses 232 7
- Defer,Accrue & Wip 248 7
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 223 7
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 348 2
- UK tax exposure 269 4
- regulated mortgage work? 157 2
- any help? 289 4
- HMRC turning post around in 11 - 12 weeks? 355 8
- Companies House? 277 3
- Echosign mail merge? 299 1
- Before I call employers helpline 268 1
- VAT refund 427 4
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 246 3
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 231 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 590 6
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 310 2