Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Cash injection by shareholder 21 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 255 7
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 276 4
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 151 3
- PRR 185 11
- corp tax software 334 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,074 54
- Pension Contributions Relief 435 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 456 7
- Which tax box 177 2
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 128 1
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 94 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 214 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 201 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,441 423
- References for clients 186 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 137 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 95 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 313 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 128 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,294
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 460
- National Insurance 358
- Non Resident 275
- Franchise income and costs 251
- Hands on experience of Digita 208
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 164
- Employer's Helpline 157
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 134