Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Late leaver notification 305 6
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 92 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 69 2
- How does one compete? 360 7
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 859 15
- Self explanatory? I hope so! 123 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,074 44
- semi retirement 234 4
- ATT Exam Question 220 6
- FPS responses ... 146 4
- shareholder remuneration 236 9
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 313 3
- Where has Portia gone? 9,069 144
- proposed dividends 323 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,480 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 432 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 107 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 338 7
- What does PITA mean? 717 17
- VATable supplies 147 3
- Sanzar 471
- Digital marketing focus group 388
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 362
- Continuity Agreement 307
- Sainsbury's mangement 294
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 294
- Avanti Accounts 286
- Buyback 273
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 216
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 187