Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 274 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 155 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 161 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 555 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 415 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 162 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 171 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 420 10
- Self employed care worker 564 12
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 239 1
- Auto enrolment 457 8
- Audacity 967 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 401 7
- Late registration for MOSS 259 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 281 5
- Client right to working papers 414 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 559 6
- Professional Clearance 1,080 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 307 5
- Illegal share transfer 473 5
- NHS finance professionals 541
- VAL231 411
- Mother and son property ownership 387
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 362
- Foreign Pension Contribution 334
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 311
- vat gross profit percentage margins 292
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 290
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 264
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 233