Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 133 4
- No presenter ID for Companies House - ixbrl 83 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 136 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 140 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 407 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 52 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 572 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 651 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 95 2
- Freelance/Employee 619 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 157 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 305 6
- Is it just me ... 230 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 273 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 99 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 329 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 216 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,503 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 114 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 354 14
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 743
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 404
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 351
- Electric Car 287
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 182
- IP trans to holding company 182
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 168
- AIA 163
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 154