Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 135 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 111 2
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 469 8
- R&D tax claim 221 6
- Gift to employee 359 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 104 1
- Transfer of a business 104 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,109 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 403 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 106 2
- Sage Import Data 300 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 238 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 100 2
- Best time software for small practice? 213 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 314 13
- private to company car? 362 9
- Which address 1,007 11
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 265 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 956 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 272 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 473
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 328
- Pre incorp expenses 306
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 262
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 250
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 152
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 136
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130