Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 181 5
- The Cotter Case 176 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 106 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 132 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 50 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 152 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 143 1
- Giving a seminar 681 36
- Tax position on lease extension 175 1
- Boffin of the Year 297 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 218 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 78 1
- Non sequitur 250 2
- Am i Liable? 881 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 77 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,295
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 422
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 212
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 169
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 148