Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 106 9
- EIS/SEIS 113 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 241 1
- You know its over 96 2
- Cocaine anyone? 382 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 378 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 377 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 626 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 501 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 519 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 45 1
- Personal pension 382 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 210 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,189 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 879 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 100 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,500 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 303 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 274 1
- Tax return software for remote working 504 4
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 442
- corporate hierarchy 421
- Advice - 258
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 215
- WWOOFers 208
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 197
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 186
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 168
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 164