Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 141 1
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 150 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 52 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 246 6
- CIS 79 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 598 12
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 103 1
- Really?! 687 9
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 285 4
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 169 3
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 448 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 889 12
- Is the CT61 return dead? 273 4
- Car Purchase 132 1
- Directors liability insurance and scope 165 7
- IR35 121 1
- Car benefit or not? 1,931 18
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 287 3
- Questions from Liquidator 2,267 24
- Drawing Down Directors Current account 1,581 9
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 704
- 2015 tax year end 437
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 415
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 352
- Costly Accounting Software contract 305
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 254
- Directors' advances and credits 250
- DTA tie-breaker issue 238
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 221
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 201