Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Can criminal action be a defence? 91 3
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 224 6
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 251 6
- Chargeable Gains - CT600 72 2
- Income prior to company formation 120 6
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,382 13
- HMRC Security Deposit 522 13
- Restoring a Ltd company which had been struck off 360 9
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 229 4
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 907 8
- question 370 3
- VAT underpayment 185 6
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 244 5
- Company Limited by Guarantee 92 1
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 381 9
- notarising & legalising documents 101 1
- Company Van 342 8
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 1,010 19
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 400 10
- Connected person and properties 199 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 393
- Any thoughts on Capium? 366
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 283
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 258
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 247
- French ConnectionUK 199
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 185
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 184
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 180
- APN's 168