Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Excel query 140 3
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,050 15
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 114 4
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 144 3
- Agent authorisation for RTI filing 14 1
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 303 12
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,321 14
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 567 9
- Payment on account penalties 152 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,701 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 91 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 104 1
- Does IR35 apply? 106 1
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 269 7
- Sage data 112 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 424 9
- Limited company buying a car 367 6
- Funding Circle experience 171 3
- Tax on free shares 160 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 215 3
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 500
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 462
- Employment related securities question 327
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 287
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 240
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162