Probably an easy answer
I have a new client who is a consultant working through his own Ltd Company. The company was incorporated in February 2011.
In the process of preparing his first set of accounts for the year ended 29 February 2012.
He has asked to put through pre incorporation expenses totalling £10k which date back to July 2010 so we are talking 7 months before incorporation. I have asked the client to confirm that they were all necessary in forming his Ltd Company and he has said the following which has got me worried:
"All of these above costs were prior to incorporation, but so was the bulk of the work that generated income. I would estimate perhaps 75% was done prior to incorporation and then billed immediately after incorporation."
My question is simple - can he put this income and expenses from before he incorporated through his Ltd Company like this or should it be reported as Self Employed income (he was not registered as self-employed) or even employed income.
To the best of my knowledge there were no contracts in place for the work carried out and if there were then they could not have been between the end client and his Ltd Company as it would not have existed.
Any help and advise (more than "walk away" from the client - which I am contemplating) would really be appreciated.
- Giving a seminar 67 4
- Related Parties Note 918 11
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 129 3
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 301 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,915 74
- Disposal of property 138 3
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,693 50
- Property scam victim 347 7
- 10 year debentures and CT 75 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 447 9
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 303 11
- Shareholder agreement issues on development 64 1
- Tasks for new trainees 209 5
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 839 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 600 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 133 2
- Partnership returns software 121 2
- VAT on garage rent 177 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 109 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 174 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,105
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 581
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 249
- Interest on Loan to a Company 194
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 168
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157