Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 31 1
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 376 9
- Closing my business down 138 5
- What do you all do in your spare time? 868 35
- A vote for labour is a vote for public sector uions and tories 46 2
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 347 5
- VAT flat rate scheme 139 2
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 166 1
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 227 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 618 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 238 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 193 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 137 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,252 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,473 21
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 303 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 99 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,114 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 430 6
- FPS or EPS 182 2
- Moving away from CCH software 957
- QROP pension input amounts 443
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 387
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 360
- fraud 288
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 263
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 232
- Construction CIS LLP Company 215
- EPS and CIS deductions 204
- Out of time or not? 185