Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 145 2
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 304 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 101 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 395 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 346 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 286 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 112 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,837 65
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 911 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 213 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 199 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 415 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 348 9
- Merging my businesses 175 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,742 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 177 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,070 49
- deceased creditor 226 5
- Corporate member of LLP 291 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 787
- RTI - duplicate employee record 547
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Portia ... Where art thou 293
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- How do you do it 285
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 264