Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 622 14
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,793 59
- Incorporation and goodwill 263 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 393 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 262 1
- Company paying out on guarantee 65 4
- Rights of Alphabet shares 286 9
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 257 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,768 14
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 264 11
- Payroll Software Recommendations 259 8
- indexation factors 100 3
- Drector renting room to company 227 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 90 2
- Property Revaluation - Postings 104 2
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 425 10
- It gets worse ! 202 1
- R&D claim 85 3
- Fee protection 1,113 25
- Received a CIS invoice 286 9
- Xtuple 583
- Qtac payroll for bureau 406
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 352
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 224
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 206
- Tax on damages received 204
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 164
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 144
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141