Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 709 5
- See you all on the other side 735 6
- 12Pay 501 2
- dividends 705 2
- R&D 355 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,214 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 468 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 458 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 410 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 567 5
- Seeking a tax case 674 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 537 4
- Companies house strike off 629 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 473 2
- Moving to the cloud 773 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 224 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 934 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 231 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,112 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 526 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 571
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 427
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 378
- IRIS and FRS 102 361
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 339
- Marginal rates of tax 327
- USA help 326
- Class 2 NI 318
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 302