Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- General tax book with planning 149 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,206 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 286 11
- Gift of property & improvements 119 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 343 5
- VAT Invoice 138 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 806 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 130 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 220 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 187 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 154 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 453 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 376 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 259 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 187 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 165 4
- SA302's anyone?? 538 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,644 41
- Renting for military reasons 195 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 511
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 297
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- tax on apprenticeship income 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 149