Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,039 35
- What sectors to target? 316 14
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 84 9
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,036 101
- Self assesment online 382 7
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 771 34
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 223 6
- Refusing to complete a tax return 391 10
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 415 15
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 117 7
- Practice management 231 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 446 6
- More NI or same 139 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 253 4
- Repayment of maternity pay 74 1
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 162 1
- Year end 111 1
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 156 2
- IHT and cash gifts 182 4
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 370 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 624
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 587
- Latest phishing scam 553
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 287
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 208
- Capital allowances in first basis period 197
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 181