Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- would home tutoring ever have to come under PAYE? 51 2
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 166 9
- Computerised Accountancy Software 374 3
- Supplier invoice addressed to a different company, how is this treated for VAT? 146 3
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 88 5
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 473 25
- Self Employed Hairdressers and VAT treatment 74 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 480 9
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 139 8
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 286 8
- Moneysoft payroll 241 13
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,408 29
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 84 1
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,042 19
- Need to register for SA? 152 3
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 382 15
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 292 4
- business card address 833 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,874 399
- Time limit 218 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,249
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 447
- National Insurance 347
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 333
- Non Resident 263
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 263
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 256
- Franchise income and costs 227
- Hands on experience of Digita 172
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 166