Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Starting up in practice - safety net 54 2
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 175 4
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 277 9
- Rental property company 93 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 262 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 245 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 375 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 139 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 182 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 309 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 143 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 475 5
- Director's tax return 390 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 177 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,126 34
- Flat rate vat 228 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 192 5
- Coming in from the cold 383 3
- Splitting the tax year 186 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 224 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 814
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 564
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 433
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 313
- Free Tax Legislation? 288
- Director Loan account operation 266
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 254
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 234
- Paye procedures for CVA 173