Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Pratice Management Software 145 2
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 206 6
- Error in audited accounts 53 1
- Vat registration exception 195 3
- CIS software 72 2
- Homing sandwiches 462 11
- CT600 118 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 176 7
- Settlement discount 139 4
- signature required 519 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 513 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 183 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 169 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 127 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 215 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 133 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 188 2
- Related Party Transactions 125 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 117 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 473 9
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,244
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 814
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 521
- Digita Hosted Software 338
- Credit where credit's due....... 313
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 237
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 197
- TheTax Donut 180
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 160