Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Capital Allowances 89 2
- Acquisition by company 54 4
- Transfer of land to family members 52 2
- R&D on products not sold 66 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 180 3
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 54 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 554 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 169 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 167 5
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,375 22
- Pattern for CTA 306 7
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,319 8
- equipment rental 196 9
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 81 2
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 200 5
- Travelling costs claimable? 82 1
- Non-resident employer & employee 84 3
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 172 2
- Write off of former director's loan 925 13
- PPR query 142 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,354
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 436
- Alphabet shares 234
- Agent fees to sell business 230
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 223
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 167
- Charge out rates in London 166
- which entity 147
- confusion about 140
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 140