Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Fees 354 4
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,834 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 449 16
- Time to ditch Sage? 314 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 95 1
- Agent Authorisation Issue 262 3
- HMRC Post 547 7
- Transactions with directors 455 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 297 9
- Non VAT invoices 224 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 224 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,407 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 268 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 237 2
- Form 17 Download 171 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 576 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 392 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,001 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 291 3
- Accountant Specialization. 407 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 368
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 246
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 181
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180