Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 387 7
- Directors and unemployment benefit 256 12
- new capital structure ltd with investors 247 3
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 368 8
- Have I made a mistake... 697 6
- Directors need for self assessment? 646 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,529 21
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 183 6
- How do you account in the VAT return for 209 3
- Dividend Vouchers 113 1
- Night out allowance 304 2
- Missing accountant! 1,239 5
- Sage Import Data 110 2
- Selling a company asset below market value 263 3
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 302 6
- CT loss memorandum 79 1
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 226 3
- Property Development 415 9
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 279 6
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,282 41
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 412
- CTA study material 377
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 278
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 256
- Pre incorp expenses 217
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 207
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 195
- Slight twist on employment related securities 185
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 132
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 125