Apologies to you all if I am asking a basic question but being relatively new and steering clear of IHT whilst I take my ATT (i've got ACCA) exams I normally turn away clients who ask for more complex IHT issues but I think that I know the answer to this IHT/CGT question and so would like to check my understanding if I may.
Client's parents signed their house over to him and his brother in 1997. (purchased 1986 £40k, 1997 value £60k (ish), value now £160k). Parents remained there eversince, no rent charged to parents.
Father died in 2005 and mother has lived there and still does now. Her estate only has £50k of cash and shares in it and she gets £8k of pension income pa from state and private schemes.
My client and his brother want to sell the house now and use the cash to help look after her (take it in turns with occasional stints in local care home)
What are the tax implications? As I see it there is a cgt gain for my client and his brother based on the gain since 1997 when the house was transferred in 1997 but as I said I am new to this and so am sure there are loopholes I have missed.
Looking at it, IHT would not be an issue at all as estate is minimal but it seems they transferred it to try and avoid losing it to long term care costs
I may well seek help from another local firm but in the meantime if anyone could assist it would be good.
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 141 3
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 185 14
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 87 1
- Invoice Help 222 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 147 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 226 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 218 3
- Sorry ignore me 891 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 568 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,938 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,251 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 797 20
- VAT & capitalising 85 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 339 5
- Free Shares ? 244 2
- Is this a scam? 564 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 296 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 279 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 151 1
- Peer to Peer lending 870 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165