probate and will distribution of money delays
A friend of mine died in October 2010 and left me some money in his will. Probate has not yet been obtained, but will be needed as the assets are mostly land and buildings. The solicitor has a copy of the will. Until about 2 months ago the solicitor and executors were reasonably cooperative, but now they have all refused to communicate with me, the solicitor claims client confidentiality, and the executors will not say why. I have checked at the probate registry, who say that probate has not been filed, and the land registry entries for the properties are still in the deceased’s name.
I want to avoid going to a solicitor because they cost a lot of money.
Does anyone know what I can do next?
How can I find out what is causing the delay?
If there is a criminal or money laundering issue, of which I am unaware, will this mean that the solicitor and executors will not be allowed to tell me of its existence, and how can I find out about its existence (but not the detail), so that I can avoid unnecessary legal fees, and be notified when it is all sorted out?
Can I require the solicitor to hand over the will and become the executor myself, if so how?
- Accountant software 319 9
- Capitalising Intellectual Property 57 1
- Pension contributions limits 214 10
- VAT on part of a closed pub 30 1
- Flat rate vat error 117 3
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 195 5
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,751 36
- Tax residence 118 3
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 85 4
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 286 7
- Which software for practice books? 397 17
- Seed EIS company 68 2
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 144 7
- EC TAX 51 1
- Write off of former director's loan 310 7
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 86 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 99 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 545 10
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 277 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 93 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 663
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 491
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 455
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 199
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 194
- Tax efficient holding company structure 183
- Investment property company accounts template 173
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 166