Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Entries on SATR for Non Dom with unremitted income < £2k 52 2
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 250 8
- Website - Should I upgrade? 177 6
- Checking a contract 171 7
- Company Fuel - Reimbursement to avoid Benefit in Kind 159 7
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,759 52
- Giving a seminar 298 16
- which software to use? 201 4
- Quickbooks or Xero or Kashflow? 340 6
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 1,234 24
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 203 5
- VAT on garage rent 265 13
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 383 15
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 129 2
- Pattern for CTA 112 2
- Property scam victim 391 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 106 4
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 138 2
- jury service 242 6
- Related Parties Note 980 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,129
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 585
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 388
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 294
- Interest on Loan to a Company 195
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 179
- Agent fees to sell business 174
- Alphabet shares 169
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 162
- Residency 91 day rule 151