Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 216 10
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 277 6
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 448 15
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 130 2
- Residential leeting and repairs 59 2
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 218 1
- Share swap 330 9
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 155 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 222 11
- Late P45 46 1
- VAT on motor expenses 927 34
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 498 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,750 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,193 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 130 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 248 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,407 42
- Sage 50 146 1
- Introduction of Goodwill 270 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 136 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 240
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- Management expenses for investment company 219
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196
- Help with tax codes on Sage 158