Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Career in Practice 85 2
- Relevant life plan 332 8
- Limited Company expenses 357 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 183 6
- Telemarketing 147 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 126 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 101 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 169 3
- how to value rental space 80 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 314 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 61 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 450 5
- Output tax for retailer 257 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 444 11
- Budget 2015 predictions 159 4
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,931 32
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 95 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 124 2
- Husband Wife let property 117 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 99 1
- Possible Partnership? 593
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 499
- New Fangled Penalties 404
- Clubs and Taxable Income 328
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 296
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 248
- Loans to other companies 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 210
- Outsource Data Entry 203
- Moving away from CCH software 197