Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Overseas company and VAT 12 1
- Market Value/Connected Persons 201 8
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 89 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 145 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 126 2
- Personal allowance 422 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 462 12
- Scams are not always obvious 698 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 137 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 137 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 101 3
- Related party disclosures 174 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 184 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 92 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 620 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 251 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 257 8
- Is this legal? 627 9
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,998 23
- Cells from many sheets 130 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,043
- Moving away from CCH software 905
- Recruitment agencies 529
- QROP pension input amounts 412
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 363
- Deemed Employment Payment 346
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 308
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 300
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 221
- fraud 219