Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 120 2
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 288 6
- clg 77 2
- VAT errors 157 4
- Professional Clearance 452 15
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,338 37
- CIS Deductions 251 7
- SA302's anyone?? 256 9
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,234 15
- Auto enrolment 1,322 14
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 99 2
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 217 6
- do i pay vat when buying a business 404 22
- Loss Relief 194 3
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 639 19
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 283 3
- Property Expenses - Allowable 309 4
- Introduction of Goodwill 884 15
- VAT & Landlords 272 7
- are receipts needed? 458 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,600
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 496
- NOVA 359
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 265
- Bonus Bonds 250
- Management expenses for investment company 250
- Help with tax codes on Sage 194
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 161
- Clogged Losses 154