Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Worried over stock value 346 11
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 23 2
- is PMI for directors and families 16 1
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 44 1
- Self Assessment Penalties 83 4
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 774 30
- Insolvent company in process of strike off 98 2
- Use of home deduction 149 5
- Mortgage Repayment Sale of Property 69 3
- STUDENT LOAN 160 2
- Paperless practices - do you keep any paper records? 705 21
- US-UK pension problem 65 1
- Knuckle down one week to go! 823 20
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 68 1
- Non resident income. 73 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,126 19
- SA late payment penalty 87 2
- Car Allowance and Fuel Card for Business Mileage 59 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 321 11
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 899 25
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 838
- Copy Wanted 571
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 517
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 500
- Latest phishing scam 368
- Entrepreneurs' relief 341
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 303
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 294
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 288
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 195