Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Contract worker paying Employers NI 30 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 563 16
- RTI submission different to HMRC 1,604 28
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 405 8
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,356 15
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,630 19
- "Audit Report" 192 3
- Free invoicing software 244 3
- When are ltd companies "associated" for Vat and tax purposes? 137 2
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 216 4
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 120 1
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 769 19
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 214 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 241 2
- Coding Notice 264 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 281 6
- New business - journal entries 439 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 249 3
- Payroll software 674 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 306 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 914
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 730
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 418
- Social investment tax relief 225
- Digita Hosted Software 224
- accounting for this transaction 216
- Call Centre Data Costs 210
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 192
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 187
- Travel costs and contractors 180