Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 172 2
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 130 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,351 232
- Recycle old study books 412 11
- Being Tax relevant 399 5
- FIFA game and making money 176 6
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 147 3
- Client has never prepared tax returns 335 2
- Kind of shares to take in an LTD 117 2
- Tax investigation pending 1,402 8
- Trademark Fun 267 7
- CIS paid on behalf of a limited company 90 2
- Distribution on cessation of trade 231 4
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 227 6
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,550 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 243 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 198 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 728 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 245 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 206 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,065
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 345
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 292
- National Insurance 247
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 226
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 224
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 210
- Payments on account coded out?? 204
- Non Resident 166
- Franchise income and costs 155