Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Invoice Help 383 11
- CGT 24 2
- is my company accounts right? 794 22
- Corporate shareholder question 185 3
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 254 4
- What can my client claim r & d on? 76 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,005 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 389 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 369 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 82 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,504 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,556 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 114 1
- P11D Dispensation 101 1
- I have missing sales invoices 381 5
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 273 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 374 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,028 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,062 26
- Directors Subsistence 230 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 556
- Cancelled 320
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 319
- Cancelled 268
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 220
- Probiz 212
- What's the market like for temps? 201
- CIS Deductions 170
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 160