Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- I do not love you 36 1
- Stamp Duty 323 5
- Love is in the air 675 8
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 729 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 839 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 372 5
- Paying Son 788 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 402 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 283 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,070 47
- Setting up a practice 613 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 595 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 544 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 466 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 245 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,855 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 439 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 607 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 599 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 449 4
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Foreign domicile status 298
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 298
- CGT for NOn UK residents 285
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 282
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 245
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 233
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 230