Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Disengagement Help! 64 3
- New business 492 5
- Ok to disclaim? 57 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 987 41
- Xerocon 2016 490 7
- Can you use dividends to pay off interest charged on Directors Loan Accounts 99 3
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 325 8
- Autumn statement 124 4
- How much detail should you put on CT600A 56 1
- Has this payroll data been created retrospectively? 301 3
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 120 1
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,641 26
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 608 23
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,175 38
- Sale of business assets 122 3
- Moneysoft error 499 8
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,738 40
- Auto Enrol with Salary exchange 138 2
- GRNI - Normal Balance 168 5
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 231 2