Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Project being run jointly 161 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 288 4
- Companies House 572 9
- Dress code 323 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 108 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 304 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 713 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,417 25
- What would you do in this situation? 584 13
- Help Required 367 10
- directors control and tax problems 228 5
- Fastest Software 784 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 954 28
- What's in a name ? 337 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 268 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 452 15
- Bulk Invoicing 185 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 167 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 254 2
- ATED Penalties 280 1
- CTA study material 709
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 432
- Employment related securities question 272
- AIM Stocks and IHT 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 206
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 194
- Trust for Employee 190
- Expat pension contributions? 189
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 186
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 163