Problems getting refund from HMRC?
Hi, does anyone have any useful advice on getting a refund from HMRC on those occasions were they just seem to want to sit on it for no reason and not release it?
This happens far to regularly for my liking and we end up wasting a lot of time that we cant bill our clients on calls, letters etc... and it is so frustrating.
With our latest client where we have had this the refund was requested to be repaid to our client ac through the return (filed in Jan '12). By 21 Feb 2012 it wasnt released so we did a repayment request online. By 7 Mar 2012 still not released so called them, they apologised, advised it will be sent for release and we were assured it will be released by 22 Mar 2012. Reluctantly accepted this and cant do much about it really. Called them today as still not released, advised hopefully will be released by end of Mar 2012. I obtained an address to write to to make a complaint about it, but yet more wasted time for us though. Its just so infuriating.
I wouldnt mind so much really but if our client owed HMRC £3k (which is what his refund is) he'd be charged interest, a 5% surcharge plus probably get letters threatening court action! Doesnt seem a fair system when we have to make payments by deadlines or face penalties whereas they can just hold onto money owed to taxpayers for as long as they want and we cant do anything really other than waste lots of time calling them constantly about it until its finally released.
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 21 1
- recompense capital input 208 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,152 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 701 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 80 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 259 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 235 2
- CT losses carry back 112 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 182 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 779 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,286 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 160 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 186 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 233 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 994 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 221 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 800
- RTI - duplicate employee record 566
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 415
- Portia ... Where art thou 337
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185