A client purchased a property in about May 2011, let it for a few months, and obtained a planning permission to demolish an existing wooden building and construct a new, larger one. The construction work is well in progress. She intends to sell the developed property and recons she will make a huge profit. She has never been involved in property development prior to this, and owns another property which she lets.
Should the development be regarded as trade? If so, should she register as self-employed and pay Class 2 and 4 NIC? Or would it be liable to income tax under TA 2007 s.756?
Thank you for your views.
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 946 26
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 36 1
- Related party disclosure 91 3
- Inflation and fees 1,266 23
- Company reconstruction 24 1
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 759 22
- Missing tax return 226 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 206 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 70 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 120 1
- Advice please! 371 2
- VAT on new builds 140 3
- incorrect old p60 197 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 108 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 333 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,922 28
- Redundancy Pay 441 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 716 6
- Sage Priority Support 120 2
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 519 4