Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,615 23
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 76 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 68 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 230 6
- Companies House 278 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 84 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 95 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 320 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 101 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 207 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 662 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 649 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 131 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 664 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 476 5
- SA tax assessments 166 2
- Director self assessment 403 16
- Sage Import Data 176 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 238 2
- Dividend Vouchers 284 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 428
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 288
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 240
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 216
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 211
- Slight twist on employment related securities 195
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 142
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 140