Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,761 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 55 1
- Late Registration for VAT 158 5
- Registering a company late 216 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 258 4
- physiotherapy clinic 545 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,894 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 76 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,003 25
- Deferred Tax 114 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 65 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 404 7
- How much of your work is admin? 164 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,788 19
- Goodwill complications 144 2
- Personal pension 213 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 170 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 293 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 247 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 984 26
- TheTax Donut 1,009
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 668
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 617
- Follower cases 484
- Limited company purchase of property 410
- Hive up 406
- corporate hierarchy 378
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 373
- LIVE chat, starting now 317
- AIA or IFA 206