Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- PPR election - what do you think? 217 7
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 103 3
- Comments on this scenario 110 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,636 67
- Penalties 111 1
- SAGE con 222 4
- rates of pay query 217 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 87 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 138 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 198 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 106 1
- Overpayment relief claim 153 5
- Charity reserves 130 3
- Have i messed up? 670 10
- Year end 363 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 225 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 108 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 130 4
- loss on carbon credits 111 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,015
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 553
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 362
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 210
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150