Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Corp Tax Refund 49 1
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 606 17
- PPR posers 189 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,505 466
- employment capital allowances 180 1
- RTI penalties coming in from 6/10/14 43 1
- Direct Debit - no receipts 339 6
- Does anyone use quotation software? 224 3
- VAT on Imports 38 1
- Use of home expenses Rent calculation 201 1
- Can't read my handwriting 371 9
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 212 2
- Annual PAYE schemes - Moneysoft 102 2
- Who is a Minister of Religion for Tax Purposes? 110 1
- corp tax software 782 11
- Audit partner? 114 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,553 71
- Overnight subsistence 132 2
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 665 13
- FL Memo - Any Good 571 9
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,352
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 500
- National Insurance 386
- Non Resident 309
- Hands on experience of Digita 231
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 206
- Employer's Helpline 181
- CIS paid under reg 9 168
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 139
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 134