Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 628 5
- See you all on the other side 682 6
- 12Pay 449 2
- dividends 599 2
- R&D 312 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,175 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 436 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 399 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 369 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 539 5
- Seeking a tax case 637 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 503 4
- Companies house strike off 538 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 419 2
- Moving to the cloud 737 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 215 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 898 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 207 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,090 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 496 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 325
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 296
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 292
- Marginal rates of tax 284
- Class 2 NI 270