Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 143 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 175 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,216 35
- Mortgage Reference 529 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 230 7
- Insovent companies 881 19
- New Build 188 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,294 48
- BrightPay quirks 202 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 804 20
- Website Content 158 1
- Personal Tax 628 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 177 1
- USA Tax Query 301 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 437 5
- last minute request 653 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 350 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 388 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,739 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 987 6