Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Hobby Horse 784 8
- Non resident income. 448 20
- What sectors to target? 610 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 255 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 189 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,934 41
- Self assesment online 993 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 265 21
- Why do I do this every year 418 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 304 5
- closing limited company 182 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 97 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 522 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 255 9
- IHT and US resident 71 1
- Limited Companies Merger 211 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 142 1
- Practice management 386 7
- IHT and cash gifts 254 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 567 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 933
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 650
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 600
- Latest phishing scam 580
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 416
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 313
- Scratch Head 242
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 237
- Sabbatical payments 199
- Negligible Value Claim 176