Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- New CASC rules 73 2
- Strike off 107 4
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 259 2
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 81 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 234 3
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 134 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 237 6
- valuation of vehicles 529 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 70 1
- Gift to son by parents 301 2
- Company investment 81 1
- What is your favourite font? 277 7
- RTI Mess 598 10
- directors loan 502 9
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 3,572 81
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 552 23
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 581 8
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 436 6
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 529 5
- Assets at strike off 195 3
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 335
- Any thoughts on Capium? 282
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 268
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 238
- auto enrolment 216
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 195
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 186
- How to account for investment in JV? 173
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 162