Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 500 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 113 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 299 5
- US Sales Tax 105 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 359 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 193 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 109 1
- Group Relief 121 4
- R&D Credits 96 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 236 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 101 2
- Clients 669 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 285 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 121 3
- Starting new accounting business 280 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 456 10
- Sage Payroll 112 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 109 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 427 8
- Tolley UK sales number 212 7
- QROP pension input amounts 492
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 476
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 439
- EPS and CIS deductions 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 285
- Construction CIS LLP Company 276
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 241
- SAGE winforecast 198
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 194
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182