Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Flat rate vat 281 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 228 6
- Rental property company 165 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 157 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 407 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 435 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 337 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,467 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,189 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 385 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 296 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 278 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 399 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 207 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 216 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 161 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 542 5
- Director's tax return 422 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 199 3
- Coming in from the cold 424 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 831
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 446
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 301
- Director Loan account operation 283
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 183