Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 168 4
- One off meeting new client 1,616 16
- Legal title not in the company name 711 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,125 63
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 195 3
- inheritance tax 297 10
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 498 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 164 3
- NALS Accountants Report 327 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,218 44
- Farm barn lettings 208 4
- Group Audit Thresholds 320 9
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 283 4
- Deduction from Salary 592 14
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 180 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 285 7
- Sole properietor 399 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,535 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 273 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 227 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 391
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 303
- Probiz 296
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 220
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196