Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 436 4
- CGT usage of ER lifetime limit 25 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 918 11
- Freelance/Employee 790 19
- Self Assessment - income for US property 83 3
- Losses carry forward to self employed 384 7
- CGT Problem 615 6
- Where is Section 809 of ITA 2007? 184 7
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 342 4
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 311 8
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 1,421 12
- Time to ditch Sage? 629 10
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,072 47
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 660 21
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 232 2
- HMRC Post 747 10
- Star v Sage for bureau payroll work 95 2
- www.pool.adzio 300 4
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 413 6
- The Higgs Decision 486 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 779
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 425
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 378
- Electric Car 313
- S222 Charge 259
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 230
- IP trans to holding company 206
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 197
- AIA 196
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 190