Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- effective advertising 438 10
- Director resignation 440 8
- Dividend Waiver 137 4
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 368 10
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 121 7
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 236 4
- Company oversea and VAT 42 1
- Small Part Disposal of Property 246 1
- Capital Distribution 68 3
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 519 12
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 139 2
- VAT in Eu 131 2
- minimum shareholding 158 4
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 626 8
- CGT on transfer of property 463 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,697 28
- PAYE Desktop viewer and/or Moneysoft 103 2
- NED remuneration for a Swiss national 130 4
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 104 1
- P46 Starter Checklist 112 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 491
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 471
- WIP Software 343
- No payroll scheme in place 303
- Is there anything wrong with this? 264
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 260
- Uncommercial property business 233
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 198
- SA Penalty 193
- Accrued income scheme 174