Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,417 13
- IHT dilemma 1,216 18
- Aweb tracking ... 130 3
- PAYE 1,030 16
- Entrepreneurs Relief 519 24
- Self Assessment - Declaring Pension Lump Sum on Tax Return 49 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 152 2
- Gifts from limited companies 128 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 337 8
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 320 2
- VAT 66 1
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 90 1
- RTI overpayments gap 216 3
- Can a once active Limited company become dormant? 180 5
- Sage payroll alternatives 537 11
- Call Centre Data Costs 268 1
- Authorised share capital 117 4
- international employer please help!! 177 4
- Capital gain? 288 6
- RTI - Petition to move filing to 19th of month 207 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,115
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 785
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 471
- Digita Hosted Software 300
- Credit where credit's due....... 240
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 215
- Director phone costs 189
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 166
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 163
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 144