Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 150 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 103 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 230 1
- will this work for IHT 253 2
- Best software for small practice? 641 20
- Paid too much !! 278 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,746 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 279 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 229 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 491 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 135 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 112 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 118 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 481 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 751 11
- Sports Sponsorship 169 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 280 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 214 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 277 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,332 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 769
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 455
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 249
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 183
- Just checking re PSA 176