Property Development losses
I have a partnership that developed a plot into five units, intending to sell on, making a nice profit.
We all know the story, the market dropped and they were unable to sell, instead holding on to them and letting them out, until the market recovers.
In 2007/08, and 2008/09 they made a trading loss which couldn't be relieved anywhere. in 2010/11 they made a rental profit from the units they developed, declared on the partnership return. Can I bring forward the old losses and set them against the rents? There was no doubt in my mind that I couldn't, but a colleague of mine is adamant that I can - he says because they directly relate to the trade. He's not right, is he?
I left the office at 10.30 last night and I've been back in since 6am. My brain has stopped working.
All help greatly appreciated, as always.
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 290 9
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 238 5
- CT return error message 92 5
- Audit rules 250 7
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 544 10
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 246 1
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 256 1
- Sales Commission to Employees / External Companies 40 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 278 2
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 68 1
- How do you value an internet based business 835 11
- Capital repayments 75 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 139 1
- business entertaining deductibility 275 2
- Flat Rate VAT 172 1
- SA302 416 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 546 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 422 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 486 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 535 2
- Xtuple 528
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 298
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 227
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 185
- Investment 163
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 142