Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,821 27
- Fee base v staff ratio 199 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 293 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 196 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 59 1
- Investor exit 179 3
- Partially exempt? 354 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 101 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 381 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,170 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 362 4
- Cash basis 394 10
- Statutory sick pay 227 3
- Overseas bank interest 218 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 157 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 358 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 218 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 310 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,949 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,417 12
- Skandia using wrong address 553
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 297
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 296
- Employee rewards 282
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 258
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 246
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 235
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 218
- Etax Australian 179
- LLP in Construction Industry 143