Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Personal pension 475 11
- How much does the company pay 189 4
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 617 22
- FAO BTC tech geek type people 133 2
- Benefit in Kind 366 8
- Help with CGT please 144 3
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 917 12
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,493 5
- Lack of VAT Receipt 177 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 325 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 333 17
- Will I need to resign? 971 11
- Cocaine anyone? 713 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 268 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 201 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 226 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 187 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 757 13
- Business rates consultancy 280 4
- Wrong tax code 230 6
- Hive up 525
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 482
- corporate hierarchy 460
- Advice - 306
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 251
- WWOOFers 247
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 226
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 204
- The booking.com con 203
- Cocaine anyone? 185