Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 64 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,253 19
- Scanners 164 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 75 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 154 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 230 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 400 9
- Payment plans for clients 109 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 231 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 443 9
- P60 or payslips? 92 1
- Property income in different capacities 104 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 190 1
- IT advisory questions? 176 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 142 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,158
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 797
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 486
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 271
- Director phone costs 233
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 197
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 135