Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Director leaving in month 1 65 1
- S162 and Capital Allowances 105 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 115 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 167 3
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 203 2
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 167 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 151 4
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 169 6
- IHT - clawback of BPR 37 1
- EIS - connection through employment 85 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 229 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 38 1
- CIS and Close Company 75 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 220 4
- Secondment expenses 148 3
- VAT Option to tax 438 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 114 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 107 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 135 3
- VAT Registration 326 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 904
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 636
- Free Tax Legislation? 397
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 326
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 316
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 180