Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,635 37
- Collection or business assets 63 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 213 8
- Company Director In Prison 384 10
- Tax position re this lease? 355 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 669 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 85 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,629 70
- Help with HMRC investigation 108 2
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 76 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 320 5
- AWeb - download file 123 2
- pension paid by company? 322 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 737 17
- Late annual return 117 1
- Charity work 210 10
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 223 12
- HMRC Agents Line 132 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 178 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,686 60
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 672
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 499
- Cancelled 426
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 334
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 322
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 214
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 197