Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Would this save hours of your time? 352 7
- Laptop purchase 1,346 20
- PTP software disaster 213 2
- Wrong career 413 17
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 149 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 196 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 85 2
- Director's tax return 187 3
- Tricky VAT question 123 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 95 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 224 6
- VT accounts licence key 230 5
- Weely paid employees 208 2
- Splitting the tax year 75 1
- FPS Submission 128 2
- Value pricing 635 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 200 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 124 1
- vat return 218 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 172 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 787
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 542
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 408
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 289
- Free Tax Legislation? 249
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 233
- Director Loan account operation 230
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 223
- Paye procedures for CVA 157