Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- AIA 110 4
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,033 47
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 232 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 242 9
- client can't/won't pay 348 12
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 272 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,173 18
- Help - Capital Allowance 110 5
- 5% penalty on late payment 223 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 177 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 527 26
- HMRC SA software error? 133 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 166 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 260 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 187 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 150 2
- wave software 123 1
- Freelance software consultant 331 5
- Window Comb Binder Cover 124 2
- losses carried forward 380 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 783
- Copy Wanted 498
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 454
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 452
- Latest phishing scam 285
- Entrepreneurs' relief 270
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 266
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 248
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 235
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 231