Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- 100% Xero practice 2,116 35
- Vat treatment of charity business income 106 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 858 18
- Company Accounts 121 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,194 343
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 180 6
- Donations (to a school!) 428 11
- Vat on Royalites 82 1
- Umbrella Company 143 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 429 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 80 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 156 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 429 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 170 3
- property rental income split 255 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 468 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 138 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 99 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,269 5
- Use of home for storage 334 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,189
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 405
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 310
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 236
- Non Resident 222
- Franchise income and costs 205
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 160