Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 86 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 234 6
- Federation Accounts 345 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 520 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 265 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 103 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 191 4
- Late reply from HMRC 238 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 280 6
- VAT silly question 2,348 55
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,641 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,413 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,787 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 498 11
- Classic cars investment 193 5
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 207 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 230 8
- RTI - new employee 191 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 604 22
- H&W company 141 2
- Benchmarking 482
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 400
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 345
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 203
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 199
- Income tax on foreign dividends 184
- Clubs and Taxable Income 182
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 179