Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 513 14
- When are ltd companies "associated" for Vat and tax purposes? 107 2
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 202 4
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 90 1
- "Audit Report" 144 2
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 757 19
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 207 4
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,334 14
- VAT on Hire Purchase 225 2
- Coding Notice 248 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 268 6
- New business - journal entries 428 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 236 3
- Payroll software 665 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 294 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 414 10
- B2B vat in the EU 205 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 220 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 248 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 217 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 900
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 726
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 418
- Social investment tax relief 225
- Digita Hosted Software 221
- accounting for this transaction 208
- Call Centre Data Costs 206
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 187
- Travel costs and contractors 179
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 179