Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- BTC is slow 252 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 186 2
- Director registration for SA question 449 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 174 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 319 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 494 22
- valuation of vehicles 402 16
- Business only use of company car 690 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 507 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 319 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 952 29
- New Company reviews please 544 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 310 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 258 2
- VAT with Russia 225 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 249 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,122 29
- directors loan 366 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 298
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 240
- Any thoughts on Capium? 231
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 218
- auto enrolment 188
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 157
- How to account for investment in JV? 150
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148