Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 249 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 761 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,560 42
- CIC Company 390 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,656 57
- Is this a scam? 762 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 123 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 335 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 241 5
- New company - form a group? 162 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 181 4
- PITA client 228 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 372 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,318 33
- Dividend dates 491 8
- R&D tax credit claim 223 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 119 1
- is this fraud? 791 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 189
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 156