Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- The stupidity continues 726 39
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 249 4
- transactions after account have been closed 205 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 193 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 537 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 232 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 137 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,341 25
- New Employers Helpline 211 4
- Software recommendations 279 1
- Share transfer question 389 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 338 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 191 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,465 19
- Overlap relief 761 19
- What is IRIS World like? 371 8
- Pension contributions 385 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 514 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 221 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 290 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 436
- WIP Software 301
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 233
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 210
- Is there anything wrong with this? 206
- Small Part Disposal of Property 191
- Uncommercial property business 183