Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- break even point 973 30
- PAYE NI 43 1
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 47 1
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 140 5
- Accomodation and travel 184 1
- Unpaid Fee's 282 6
- Issue with a software supplier 173 4
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 202 6
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 271 5
- Limited Company trading status. 223 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 89 1
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,585 29
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 132 2
- Aquisition Value 114 3
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 376 8
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 428 12
- Dividends 279 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 799 13
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 169 4
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,301 11
- Possible Partnership? 505
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 486
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 462
- New Fangled Penalties 301
- Clubs and Taxable Income 255
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 254
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 243
- Loans to other companies 190
- Tasbook email configuration 179
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 163