Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 268 7
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 593 9
- 31st october deadline 364 6
- Property gift to sister 93 4
- RTI Late Registration query 140 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 215 2
- Payroll software 138 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 210 2
- Accounting for display stands 229 7
- Companies House Search 295 3
- VAT training 266 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 269 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,512 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 318 3
- A Friday Funny. 316 5
- Something for the weekend? 269 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 556 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,251 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,539 26
- Coming out of flat rate 156 1
- NHS finance professionals 708
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 402
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 386
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 338
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 279
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 218