Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- SSAS Pension scheme 116 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 491 18
- Physiotherapy 181 3
- Inflation and fees 1,131 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 101 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 235 8
- CGT help please 88 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 316 7
- Cashflow forecasting software 83 2
- What happens when a customer with PPD pays late? 133 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 275 1
- Community Interest Company 122 3
- Redundancy Pay 410 5
- Advice please! 321 1
- Unusual marketing ideas for accountants 719 6
- Do we have to honour her notice? 617 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,283 21
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 112 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 355 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 592 13