Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 540 6
- First VAT Visit for client 41 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,727 177
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 98 3
- capital gains on PPR 1,419 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 265 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 226 14
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 202 10
- Incorporation Relief 86 1
- What type of Trust? 141 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 128 5
- OBK 582 19
- Instant CPD offer 129 2
- Dividend in specie 123 2
- Investor exit 104 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 162 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 77 1
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,751 26
- Sage error message 152 2
- Partially exempt? 182 5
- Skandia using wrong address 465
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 208
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 192
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 154