Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- CGT history of shares 175 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 138 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 172 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 335 6
- CGT on sale of let property 113 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 178 2
- how do i get UTR 140 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 88 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 238 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 412 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 130 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 191 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 126 2
- EIS 198 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 130 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 115 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 127 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 728 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 207 1
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 397
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 383
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 281
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 224
- Out of time or not? 210