Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 566 19
- Do we have to register for VAT? 363 7
- Unbelievable!! 676 5
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 368 1
- Reclaiming VAT on unpaid invoices 30 1
- Receipt bank 266 6
- blank - ignore 426 7
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 43 1
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 59 1
- foreign income 152 3
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 167 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 106 3
- Non resident income. 360 18
- White van man 788 26
- Should i tell HMRC 1,243 12
- How to value a business asset? 106 4
- Companies House praise 167 1
- EIS reinvestment relief 164 12
- Identity check problem 1,121 11
- Declaration of interest 119 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 869
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 566
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 531
- Latest phishing scam 454
- Entrepreneurs' relief 407
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 334
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 316
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 236
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 215
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 157