Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- IT advisory questions? 258 7
- signature required 541 22
- Use of home query 79 1
- Pratice Management Software 158 2
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 245 6
- Error in audited accounts 101 1
- Vat registration exception 200 3
- CIS software 90 2
- Homing sandwiches 472 11
- CT600 130 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 184 7
- Settlement discount 150 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 519 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 187 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 176 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 136 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 221 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 140 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 192 2
- Related Party Transactions 132 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,248
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 821
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 525
- Digita Hosted Software 341
- Credit where credit's due....... 317
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 243
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 202
- TheTax Donut 185
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 166
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 165