Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- Swiching tax 461 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 214 4
- Generic notification message 221 4
- Mortgage Adviser's request 299 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 761 37
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,130 18
- Basis periods 43 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 67 2
- CGT on spouse's death 281 11
- Tax relief for networking day out? 468 12
- VAT on non-denominated postage 71 2
- Starting Again 282 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 641 19
- CT101 Completion 135 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 149 2
- P11D Software 780 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 205 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 274 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 396 10
- Payroll software 192 4
- Construction CIS LLP Company 597
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 583
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 382
- Pensions Regulator 349
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 285
- Using the correct forms 263
- SA penalty proposals 252
- RTI - duplicate employee record 245
- Accelerated payment notices 230
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 221