Property inherited with income rights restricted
My client, husband and wife, recently inherited 4 let properties from the husbands late uncle
A deed of variation was exercised so the income from these let properties is paid to the widow for the reminder of her life, net of any taxes and expenses
My question is, who is assessable on the rental income?
I suspect what has happened is the property is now held in trust, being a type of Immediate Post Death Interest trust. So for IHT the property will form part of the widows estate as Settled Property coming to my clients as remainder men on her death (and should have therefore been an exempt legacy to spouse in the deceased's estate - I do not know if this was the case). The income will be assessed on the husband and wife as trustees at basic rate producing an R185. On the widows death, the assets will receive an uplift to the then current market value for CGT. Would anyone agree this view is correct?
If this is the case, would you agree I could suggest the income continues to be paid directly to the widow to avoid the requirement to complete a trust Self Assessment Tax Return. Then as the income is not received by the trustees (i.e. my clients) they cannot then be assessed on it as trustees thus eliminating the requirement to complete a trustees tax return.
There is not a trust deed - unless the Will and DOV could be regarded as such?
Or ... am I overcomplicating the position and the income should simply be assessed on my clients personally who will then pay the rents after expenses and tax to the widow as well as them already owning the property for IHT and CGT.
Thanking you in advance for any responses
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 207 1
- Have i messed up? 99 4
- End of the party for dividends? 1,104 18
- How to format a stock book 344 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,332 31
- Disposal of property 71 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 114 1
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 163 2
- trading or dormant 187 4
- do I have to pay NI? 115 2
- Matching of tax return to P60 235 5
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 195 7
- Tax Return Deadlines 313 5
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,255 15
- what time is it ? 486 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 448 25
- VAT chargeable or not? 142 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,296 55
- find-accountants.com 288 3
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 118 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 947
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 533
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 343
- Tax efficient holding company structure 267
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 254
- Investment property company accounts template 237
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 205
- Charge out rates in London? 172
- Personal consumption by landlord 156
- Interest on Loan to a Company 154