I have a client who has been with me for many years, he has decided to buy a flat to rent out as an investment. He wants to do this through a Ltd Company structure in which he will own 100% of the shares.
The flat will cost £700,000 (London prices - crazy I know) which he will be paying for in cash that he has saved over the last ten years.
My question is:
- What is the best way for the client to put the money into the new company?
- as equity meaning the company is worth £700k and he is the only shareholder OR
- as a £700k director's loan, meaning the company is worth £0.00 but he can easily withdraw his loan over time incurring no tax charges (he would not want the company to pay him interest as he is a 50% tax payer so not a great deal of point).
I get the idea that he will be looking for a mortgage in the next few years to increase his property portfolio in the company - does this have a bearing on the above?
The main strategy is to hold the properties for a long period of time using the rental income as retirement income in 20 years time and probably leaving them to his children when he dies.
What is bugging me is if I'm missing something - niggling feeling that I am.
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 199 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 189 9
- JIEB Exams 131 1
- RTI 85 1
- Christmas party 100 1
- Am i Liable? 108 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 738 10
- Checking a contract 293 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 310 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 230 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 159 7
- VAT on garage rent 324 14
- Value-shifting 63 1
- Pattern for CTA 207 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 450 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 84 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 228 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 241 5
- EBT 179 1
- Giving a seminar 529 28
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,209
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 608
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 407
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 314
- Agent fees to sell business 189
- Alphabet shares 189
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 182
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 175
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 163
- Office recharges 147