Property ownership - who receives the rent?
OK. In the normal course of things I know income follows ownership.
However, in the situation I have Mother moves into a local authority bungalow. House remains in her name but son and daughter spend £20K of their own money on renovations and then let out.
They come to me 6 months later and say the rental income is theirs. Mother had intended they have the property, otherwise they would not have spent money on it.
Is it feasible to get the property transfered now, but treat the rents as due to son and daughter from day one,on the basis that M was just holding the property for them?
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 251 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 455 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 535 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 148 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 283 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 104 2
- Limited company buying a car 130 3
- ACCA practice certificates 491 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 71 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 83 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 299 13
- Dress code 1,544 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 475 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 253 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 374 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 471 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 180 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 476
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 395
- Employment related securities question 307
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 172
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147