Property ownership - who receives the rent?
OK. In the normal course of things I know income follows ownership.
However, in the situation I have Mother moves into a local authority bungalow. House remains in her name but son and daughter spend £20K of their own money on renovations and then let out.
They come to me 6 months later and say the rental income is theirs. Mother had intended they have the property, otherwise they would not have spent money on it.
Is it feasible to get the property transfered now, but treat the rents as due to son and daughter from day one,on the basis that M was just holding the property for them?
- How to explain this to someone 314 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 47 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 156 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 295 3
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 43 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 695 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 274 4
- Old CGT loss 342 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 281 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 169 6
- Start up allowance? 482 13
- New Starter Checklist 339 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 451 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 832 22
- Goodwill complications 357 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 612 21
- HMRC Distraint 259 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 217 2
- Will I need to resign? 715 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 148 3
- TheTax Donut 1,074
- Follower cases 513
- Hive up 447
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 416
- corporate hierarchy 406
- LIVE chat, starting now 390
- Advice - 225
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 198
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 183