Property ownership - who receives the rent?
OK. In the normal course of things I know income follows ownership.
However, in the situation I have Mother moves into a local authority bungalow. House remains in her name but son and daughter spend £20K of their own money on renovations and then let out.
They come to me 6 months later and say the rental income is theirs. Mother had intended they have the property, otherwise they would not have spent money on it.
Is it feasible to get the property transfered now, but treat the rents as due to son and daughter from day one,on the basis that M was just holding the property for them?
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 232 7
- Directors bonus 108 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 67 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 258 3
- Get it off your chest 179 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 176 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 127 3
- break even point 1,103 33
- The return 727 27
- Sell business after leaving country 322 6
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 74 1
- IHT Query 394 8
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 86 2
- Charity accounting 65 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 996 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 149 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 145 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 356 2
- Limited Company trading status. 327 8
- Payroll 183 6
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 546
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 347
- Clubs and Taxable Income 288
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 206
- Outsource Data Entry 172
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172