Property ownership - who receives the rent?
OK. In the normal course of things I know income follows ownership.
However, in the situation I have Mother moves into a local authority bungalow. House remains in her name but son and daughter spend £20K of their own money on renovations and then let out.
They come to me 6 months later and say the rental income is theirs. Mother had intended they have the property, otherwise they would not have spent money on it.
Is it feasible to get the property transfered now, but treat the rents as due to son and daughter from day one,on the basis that M was just holding the property for them?
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 526 14
- Top slicing relief question no 2 98 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 605 10
- Share swap 226 5
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 14 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,693 27
- Director's minimum wage? 190 4
- Advertising services? 291 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 306 4
- Maternity Pay 78 1
- Was I rude 430 14
- Surcharges on very late VAT 112 1
- Invoice factoring 246 8
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 347 9
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 194 2
- Entrepreneurs relief/ Company Secretary 134 2
- Work in progress calculation 121 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 947 29
- Help with share restructuring 103 1
- HMRC Employers Diary 586 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 797
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 435
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 407
- Sale of business 375
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 270
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 184
- Expenses claim for non employee 176