Property sale at under value from insolvent company
I have a client who has an insolvent building business which owns a residential property. The property has been on the market at £240k ish for several years with no luck in selling. The Revenue currently have security of the property for unpaid VAT and PAYE to the tune of £95k. The business is owned by a mother and son, the mother has a substantial directors loan which will never be repaid, there are a few other small liabilities totalling £25k. The nephew/grandson of the directors is able to raise funds to £130k to purchase the property. The company solicitors state this this will not be allowed as it is the sale at an undervalue and any subsequent liquidator could come back on this at a later date. As the company is insolvent there can be no indemnity insurance taken out against this possibility.
My suggestion is for the mother to gift cash of say £80k to the grandson who then buys the house for £210k (surely a reasonable market value?). He buys the property, all company debts settled and £80k of the DLA gets repaid to mother. Raising £80k in cash, albeit short term, may be an issue given her advancing years; her wealth is tied up in her residential property.
Alternatively would appointing a liquidator be of any use? Would they have a problem selling the property to the grandson for £130k given that it would satisfy all company debts?
Or is there some other way?
- Sage Priority Support 95 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 685 18
- incorrect old p60 121 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 486 4
- VAT on new builds 116 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 346 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 125 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 118 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 137 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,841 26
- Missing tax return 178 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 920 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 276 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 163 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 557 18
- Physiotherapy 246 3
- Inflation and fees 1,219 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 170 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 284 8
- CGT help please 151 1