Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 360 11
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,438 27
- Starting up in practice - safety net 243 7
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,160 35
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 114 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 356 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 245 4
- Rental property company 117 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 341 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 268 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 389 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 173 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 206 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 152 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 514 5
- Director's tax return 403 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 190 3
- Flat rate vat 250 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 203 5
- Coming in from the cold 405 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 824
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 573
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 441
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 321
- Free Tax Legislation? 295
- Director Loan account operation 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 260
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 239
- Paye procedures for CVA 181