Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 20 1
- Funding Circle experience 15 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 663 20
- Awkward IP 1,454 16
- New supplier 58 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 43 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 202 12
- Audit 350 9
- Buying a horse?? 263 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 203 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,093 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 965 11
- What's in a name ? 1,132 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 219 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 794 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 499 7
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 786 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,121 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 145 1
- carry back of gift aid 198 3
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 437
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 274
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 210
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154