Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 577 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 599 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 58 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 331 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 223 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 206 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 76 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 353 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,371 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 261 5
- NOVA 542 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 256 10
- Regional Development Grant 104 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,354 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 80 1
- Company car without a salary 208 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 380 10
- Charity donations 1,060 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 140 2
- VAT on finance leases 197 3
- Bonus Bonds 388
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 376
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 287
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 255
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 183
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 167
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129