Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- Payment plans for clients 286 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 79 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 196 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 477 14
- Employee steeling client data 125 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,361 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 192 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 135 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 93 1
- CT600 277 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 216 4
- signature required 915 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 197 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 341 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 334 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 160 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 91 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 156 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 100 1
- Lease 152 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 856
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 551
- Credit where credit's due....... 342
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 234
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 191
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 185
- Director's business mileage 152
- Sole trader CPD 147