Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- Commission on holiday accrual 64 1
- error on companies house accounts 112 4
- Newly Started Practice 183 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 157 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 182 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 191 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 91 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 94 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 347 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 227 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 169 2
- Generic Notification Notices 127 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 445 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 114 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 95 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 244 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 146 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 241 3
- QROP pension input amounts 476
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 417
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 268
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 247
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 214
- SAGE winforecast 180
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166