Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 153 2
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 404 9
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 121 1
- CGT on house within Limited Company 298 10
- Subsistence Claims 319 3
- India Capital Gain 155 2
- Late filing penalties refunded 115 1
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 352 7
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 225 4
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 551 12
- Care Home - Job Price 306 5
- Fee headache 507 4
- Dormant payroll 758 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 133 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 310 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,549 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 144 1
- This feels wrong.... 1,607 21
- Overlap relief 407 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 222 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 511
- Theatre Tax Relief 421
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 330
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 310
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 288
- Perkbox 238
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 226
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 221
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 200
- Document Management Systems 197