Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 258 5
- . 191 2
- Freelance/Employee 649 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 193 1
- Accountant Specialization. 257 2
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 165 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 165 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 450 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 97 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 595 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 683 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 129 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 189 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 334 6
- Is it just me ... 293 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 296 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 119 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 354 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 225 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,541 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 164