Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- Two sole traders working at same shop 414 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,491 36
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 1,075 13
- Profit split /Rent 137 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 224 3
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 110 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 238 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 200 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 110 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 297 5
- Multi user accounting software 166 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 137 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 224 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 424 11
- do i need an online accounting software 567 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 141 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 705 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 263 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,045 16
- NHS finance professionals 795
- Foreign Pension Contribution 480
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 411
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 380
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 270
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 258
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 230
- FRM claim for travel to training course 230