Protecting assets from care costs?
Client has total assets of c£300k (2 properties, no mortgages) and is in his late 50s. His health is not great and he is concerned that at some point he may need residential care.
He is looking at ways of protecting his assets and possibly transferring them to his grown up son. IHT is obviously not an issue given the estate size but he does need the rental income from the commercial property of approximately £1,000 per month as this is now his only income.
If he gives the assets to the son or transfers them in to trust there would be an immediate CGT charge on the commercial property. He would also need to remain living in the residential property.
Any ideas on the best way to protect the assets from care costs but still retain the rental income?
I am guessing that he would just have to pay the CGT regardless if he is transferring the commercial property as it is simply an investment and has never been a business asset?
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 80 3
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 454 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 137 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 243 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 86 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 164 3
- Foreign income for self employed 103 1
- tax credits 60 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 598 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 48 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 482 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 222 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 216 7
- Musician deductible expenses 91 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 101 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 282 8
- Flat rate vat error 345 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 545 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 851
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 296
- Tax efficient holding company structure 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 231
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 153