Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- The stupidity continues 209 5
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,348 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 68 1
- Overlap relief 737 19
- What is IRIS World like? 329 8
- Pension contributions 343 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 95 4
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 115 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 458 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 147 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 444 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 257 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 248 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 197 1
- Share transfer question 321 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 549 10
- New Employers Helpline 150 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 214 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 204 4
- VAT Query 210 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 426
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- No payroll scheme in place 222
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 222
- Software recommendations 207
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 201
- Is there anything wrong with this? 194
- Small Part Disposal of Property 175