Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 360 12
- HMRC Post 513 7
- Transactions with directors 428 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 277 9
- Non VAT invoices 191 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 224 2
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 189 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,387 32
- Fees 234 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 252 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 220 2
- Form 17 Download 147 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 557 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 379 4
- HMRC Information notice 989 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 279 3
- Accountant Specialization. 389 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,774 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 200 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 761
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178