Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- VAT refund 57 1
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 179 3
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 149 1
- incorrect old p60 350 8
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 230 3
- Missing tax return 350 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,081 30
- Inflation and fees 1,386 24
- Sage Priority Support 176 3
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 205 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 830 24
- Micro-entity accounts 235 1
- Related party disclosure 213 3
- Company reconstruction 143 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 236 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 157 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 177 1
- Advice please! 421 2
- VAT on new builds 189 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 151 1