Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- How much of your work is admin? 1,117 10
- Cocaine anyone? 184 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,476 22
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 839 26
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 277 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 467 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 255 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 331 11
- Tax return software for remote working 483 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 557 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 452 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 451 9
- How to purchase business premises? 175 2
- Will I need to resign? 839 10
- Childcare vouchers 192 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 276 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 300 6
- VAT avoidance? 243 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 197 3
- PAYE coding out 209 3
- Hive up 476
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 439
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 249
- Amortisation of Goodwill 224
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 209
- WWOOFers 205
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 193
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 184
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 181