Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- Vat registration exception 188 3
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 115 3
- CIS software 57 2
- Homing sandwiches 437 11
- CT600 105 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 165 7
- Settlement discount 122 4
- signature required 498 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 509 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 177 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 165 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 116 2
- Pratice Management Software 118 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 205 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 129 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 186 2
- Related Party Transactions 121 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 109 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 467 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 765 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,240
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 520
- Digita Hosted Software 335
- Credit where credit's due....... 311
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 236
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 192
- TheTax Donut 178
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 158
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 158