Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- Late P45 17 1
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 201 9
- VAT on motor expenses 925 34
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 428 14
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 487 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,743 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,187 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 121 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 244 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,397 42
- Sage 50 142 1
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 251 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 208 9
- Introduction of Goodwill 263 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 133 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 145 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 125 2
- What does it mean?? 403 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 295 13
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 149 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 239
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 215
- Management expenses for investment company 213
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196