Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 475 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 96 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,103 7
- Bereavment payment 84 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 272 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 343 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,294 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 146 2
- Companies House incorporation service 348 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 75 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 149 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 193 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 203 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 265 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 143 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 152 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 131 2
- Trading income or not? 197 1
- Charge HMRC 424 3
- Xtuple 549
- Qtac payroll for bureau 376
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 317
- Industrial & Provident Societies 314
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 291
- CIS schemes 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 186
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 185
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178