Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- Worried over stock value 391 13
- Use of home deduction 204 8
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,278 78
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 53 3
- Does anyone know the phone number for Bootle compliance? 35 1
- Mortgage Repayment Sale of Property 102 4
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 170 5
- Paperless practices - do you keep any paper records? 733 22
- Self assessment help 69 1
- client can't/won't pay 1,192 21
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 89 3
- is PMI for directors and families 47 1
- Self Assessment Penalties 111 4
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 793 30
- Insolvent company in process of strike off 116 2
- STUDENT LOAN 174 2
- US-UK pension problem 77 1
- Knuckle down one week to go! 865 20
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 91 1
- Non resident income. 86 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 839
- Copy Wanted 571
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 518
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 502
- Latest phishing scam 368
- Entrepreneurs' relief 343
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 305
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 294
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 288
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 197