Provision of living accommodation as taxable benefit
A client has been offered a new post as a permanent employee of a company based in London. My client lives in the South West. The firm are offering to pay my client's travel expenses to London and provide him with living accommodation during the week, which they will pay for.
The proposed contract states that my client's place of work will be the firm's London office. I assume that any travel expenses incurred between his home address and his place of work will be a taxable benefit if they are reimbursed, as these are ordinary commuting expenses. They will need to be reported on the P11D.
Furthermore, if living accommodation is also provided to my client while he is in London, I assume that this will also be a taxable benefit, calculated using the HMRC guidelines at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/l/accommodation-value.htm . The living accommodation benefit will also be reported on the P11D.
My client is keen to avoid the tax and NI costs of the benefit in kind, and has asked if there is any way around this. I cannot see one myself, as the firm do not have an office near my client's home (so his place of work would have to be London). Even if his contract stated that his place of work was his home address, it would seem rather dubious if he was travelling to London regularly, and staying there during the week, and presumably HMRC could argue that his place of work was indeed London, rather than his home address.
Any views would be appreciated.
- Tax and children 123 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 548 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 382 16
- Advice needed. 436 10
- UK Accountancy Franchise 154 2
- Directors obligation to notify 85 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 254 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 132 1
- Starting new accounting business 327 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 155 4
- error on companies house accounts 755 18
- RTI penalties 129 1
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 168 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 319 5
- US Sales Tax 114 1
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 202 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 173 1
- Group Relief 139 4
- R&D Credits 107 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 273 7
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 483
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 446
- EPS and CIS deductions 303
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 292
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 188
- Overdrawn director account 175