Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 28 1
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 456 16
- Will I need to resign? 49 1
- Paper tax return 77 3
- Start up allowance? 333 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,327 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 223 3
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 158 1
- AIA or IFA 419 7
- Surely not? 416 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 622 9
- Running two businesses from the same premises 351 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 348 7
- Late Registration for VAT 347 11
- Old CGT loss 167 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 259 5
- Nominal Ledger 339 10
- Share structures 138 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,146 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 338 5