Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 203 7
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,698 32
- Where has Portia gone? 732 26
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,553 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,840 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,292 19
- HMRC Scam 268 2
- Departments in Sage 50 94 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 237 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 265 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 108 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 78 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 454 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 132 2
- AIA - new period 222 1
- Self assessment question 1,162 48
- Major Works Invoice to Rental Property 379 9
- What is the base cost of this asset for CGT? 270 3
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 859 20
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 513
- Pensions Regulator 441
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 396
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 279
- How do you do it 266
- Report old income 228
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 227