Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Homing sandwiches 784 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 232 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 237 14
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 162 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 81 1
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 74 2
- IT advisory questions? 386 11
- Direct debit entry query 128 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 758 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 178 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,150 18
- Acounting Courses 100 1
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 120 2
- signature required 817 30
- Suspected or Invalid Employment Support Allowance fraud 329 6
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 263 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 99 1
- When to leave the VAT FRS 149 6
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 222 2
- Use of home query 397 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,291
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 845
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 536
- Digita Hosted Software 351
- Credit where credit's due....... 328
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 211
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 177
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 156
- Director's business mileage 138