Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 538 14
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 61 1
- VAT for Small Property Development Company 53 1
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,139 28
- Classic cars investment 373 11
- National Insurance Contributions 139 2
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 205 4
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 263 4
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 879 23
- break even point 710 20
- Asset holding company 272 6
- How much to charge? 479 7
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 323 6
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 291 1
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 3,049 36
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 903 8
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 241 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 455 13
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 676 9
- HMRC - Sage Backup 283 5
- Possible Partnership? 482
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 454
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 451
- New Fangled Penalties 267
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 246
- Clubs and Taxable Income 238
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 236
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 228
- Loans to other companies 184
- Tasbook email configuration 169