Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 164 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 981 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 80 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 27 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,369 422
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 289 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 58 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 275 1
- References for clients 89 1
- corp tax software 285 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 178 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 149 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 553 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 342 16
- Is this fraud? 557 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 93 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 280 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 106 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 162 4
- Naming new company 327 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,290
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 161
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 144
- CIS paid under reg 9 133