Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 18 1
- "cycle to work" and self-employment benefit? 70 3
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 1,510 11
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 280 9
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 820 27
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 531 22
- Rent A Room 180 6
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 318 7
- Scissors 534 19
- MLRO and deputy? 90 2
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 337 1
- Taxcalc 690 21
- Xero Pain Points 381 15
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 253 3
- Foreign Intern - Accommodation Allowance 115 1
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 258 5
- Moneysoft - technical query 461 12
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,481 11
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 698 11
- Giving investment company to spouse 116 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 364
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 307
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 284
- Electric Car 237
- S222 Charge 212
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 204
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 196
- Company Structure 186
- VAT and customer entertaining 169