Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 11 1
- Not renewing AAT 618 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,411 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,720 51
- New dividend taxation 332 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 109 1
- Company car v company allowance 216 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 423 9
- Company formation and bank account 365 9
- Next Move 644 18
- Owning overseas property 304 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 281 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 223 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 688 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 641 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 242 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 417 8
- OneNote is fantastic 578 11
- VAT Direct Debit 391 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 474 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 664
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 391
- 2015 tax year end 389
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 311
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 209
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204