Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,327 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 174 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 195 2
- "Audit Report" 94 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 490 13
- Coding Notice 235 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 256 6
- New business - journal entries 420 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 229 3
- Payroll software 656 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 285 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 403 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 740 18
- B2B vat in the EU 197 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 206 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 240 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 205 4
- LLP as member of LLP 146 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,855 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 882
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 724
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 417
- Social investment tax relief 223
- Digita Hosted Software 217
- Call Centre Data Costs 205
- accounting for this transaction 204
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 179
- Travel costs and contractors 177
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 176