Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 44 2
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 48 2
- Moneysoft update problem 114 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 650 10
- CGT allowable expenditure 35 2
- error on companies house accounts 820 19
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 438 13
- Working in Australia and using allowance in UK? 41 1
- Group Relief 163 4
- New shareholder 272 4
- Newly Started Practice 803 16
- HMRC stupidity of the day 342 3
- Directors obligation to notify 244 2
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 245 4
- Clients 834 17
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 273 5
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 396 3
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 386 2
- Sage Payroll 202 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 199 3
- QROP pension input amounts 506
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 497
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 451
- EPS and CIS deductions 314
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 300
- Construction CIS LLP Company 292
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 263
- SAGE winforecast 210
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 200
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 196