Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,210 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,332 21
- CIS and Close Company 124 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 302 1
- VAT Option to tax 477 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 182 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 201 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 133 2
- Director leaving in month 1 164 2
- Ex Gratia payments 98 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 298 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 180 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 200 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 194 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 180 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 59 1
- EIS - connection through employment 98 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 254 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 68 1
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 234 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 916
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 643
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 404
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 347
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 192
- Pension Fixed Protection 163