Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 52 1
- SA302 241 4
- Hosted email exchange 161 5
- South African Government Pension 174 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 148 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 236 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 285 13
- Thinking to start accepting Online Card Payments 152 1
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 229 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 139 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 269 7
- New Email Extensions 170 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 294 2
- Dental practice incorpration 143 1
- Audit rules 169 4
- Go Cardless 296 8
- business entertaining deductibility 166 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 210 2
- R & D 114 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 101 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 338
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 287
- Industrial & Provident Societies 279
- Mehjoo 225
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 158
- CIS schemes 157
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 144