Provisional Tax Returns
I have a few clients with outstanding 2010/2011 Tax Returns, for whom the accounts for the relevant basis period have still not been prepared.
In most cases the reason for the delay in preparing the accounts is long-overdue accountancy fees.
Not all of the clients in question are "D class" clients - some have simply fallen into financial difficulties as a result of prevailing economic conditions and are extremely embarrassed at the fact that they have been unable to settle my fees.
It is my understanding that, if a client in this situation fails to submit a Tax Return online before 1 May 2012, penalties of £10 per day will start to accrue.
I do not wish to prepare the outstanding accounts until my fees for previous work have been settled, in part at least. However, I do not mind trying to help some of these clients to prepare and submit provisional Tax Returns, although I would not like to invest too much time in such (unpaid) work.
Is it acceptable to put on the Tax Return completely estimated round-sum figures for income and expenditure, together with an explanation that the figures are provisional in the absence of the necessary accounts, which have not yet been prepared owing to financial difficulties? I am aware that the provisional Tax Return would have to be amended in due course and that failure to file an amended Tax Return should, in theory at least, lead HMRC to initiate an enquiry. Whilst the suggested action may lead to an increased risk of an HMRC enquiry, would it prevent the imposition of daily penalties? If so, what do Aweb members think of this strategy? Is it asking for trouble?
I look forward to any guidance and comments.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 445 5
- See you all on the other side 609 6
- 12Pay 323 2
- dividends 436 2
- R&D 242 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,114 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 397 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 310 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 271 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 498 5
- Seeking a tax case 549 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 417 4
- Companies house strike off 391 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 312 2
- Moving to the cloud 694 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 195 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 839 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 186 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,061 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 441 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 541
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 409
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 360
- IRIS and FRS 102 341
- Capitalising Finance Lease 305
- USA help 304
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 276
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 265
- Capital gains on rental property 246
- Sage Coretime 226